Beast of Burden
FastChat2.jpg

Originally broadcast on Resonance FM on 19-04-2006

Selection and Mix by John Eden
Edits and FX by Paul Meme

0:00: YT: England Story (White)
0:45: Maxi priest: Sensimilla (White)
2:23: Papa Levi: Mi God Mi King (Taxi)
5:07: Tippa Irie and Daddy Colonel: Jus a Speak (UK Bubblers)
6:14: Daddy Rusty: No No Way (UK Bubblers)
7:08: Daddy Sandy: Riddle Bubble (UK Bubblers)
8:10: Asher Senator: The Original Car Style (Fashion)
11:03: Tippa Irie: It's Good to Have the Feeling You're the Best (UK Bubblers)
14:00: Leslie Lyric: Blind Date (UK Bubblers)
16:28: Smiley Culture: Cockney Translation (Fashion)
18:17: Papa Levi: Bonnie & Clyde (Island)
21:23: Asher Senator: Fast Style Origination (Fashion)
25.00: Ends

Email grievousangelsoundsystem@yahoo.co.uk for a link. Some invites have gone out already.

D

droid

This is an essential selection of a very overlooked subgenre of reggae... get it now!

2stepfan said:
21:23: Asher Senator: Fast Style Origination (Fashion)

'Up on the board they throw the dart, and up to the moon goes astronaut...'
icon_torch.gif

Gonna have fun deciphering this one!

D

droid

A few obvious Riddim Ids...

5:07: Tippa Irie and Daddy Colonel: Jus a Speak (UK Bubblers) [ANSWER]
6:14: Daddy Rusty: No No Way (UK Bubblers) [ANSWER]
7:08: Daddy Sandy: Riddle Bubble (UK Bubblers) [ANSWER]
8:10: Asher Senator: The Original Car Style (Fashion) [HI FASHION/BOBBY BABYLON]
11:03: Tippa Irie: It's Good to Have the Feeling You're the Best (UK Bubblers) [CONVERSATION]
14:00: Leslie Lyric: Blind Date (UK Bubblers) [REAL ROCK]
16:28: Smiley Culture: Cockney Translation (Fashion) [REAL ROCK]

What are the other tunes on? I recognise the last one, but cant remember the name... :mad:

matt b

Indexing all opinion
fucking mix!

wicked selection chaps.

'bonnie and clyde' is a TUNE. there's a unity vs saxon clash mp3 about where this just destroys the dance.

respect to mr stelfox.

get well soon john.

worrior

Blown away by this. Many thanks. Love the switches of speed. Not surprised Asher Senator has to talk about his gear selector. I’m sure its been mentioned before (Peter King – Step on the Gas on Lyric Maker) but there’s a lot of fast chat car talk. Were some of them mechanics? Is there as much car chat in Jamaica? My favourite: Leslie Lyric ‘Me put me foot down to the floor. A ten minute journey but it only take me four.’

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
Most of them were second hand car dealers! I think Eden has don some posts about this.

And they were all in London, not Jamaica :)

Bit of car talk in JA ("Who's got the keys to me bimmer?") but nothing compared to 8Ts London...

matt b

Indexing all opinion
2stepfan said:
Bit of car talk in JA ("Who's got the keys to me bimmer?") but nothing compared to 8Ts London...

i've got some JA pressings of lps (yabby you, think) that are sponsored by a local garage

nomos

Administrator
i love this mix. it brightened my day when i took it for a walk with the spring sun in my face. thanks guys :)

bruno

est malade
my exposure to both this and the murdertone 'warrior's dance' tape has been mindblowing.. i had never heard any of this! a true ear opener (one learns something new every day).

fast chat is so laid back it's unbelievable, pure good vibes. it's also amazing so much greatness came out in a little window around 1984 or so, when most of these tunes were released. love the asher senator tracks..

the highlight of the warrior dance mix, for me, has to be the aba shanti-i tune. so moody. fits the surroundings here perfectly, what with the foggy nights and the autumn chill.

so mixtape makers of the world: my gratitude.