NGOMA 2: Capetown Techno / London House

zhao

there are no accidents
ngoma2_front_sm-1.gif
NGOMA2_back_sm-3.gif

it is said that the drum itself was invented in Africa. and as far as i'm concerned, all modern pop and especially dance music have deep roots in the musical traditions of that continent. i have made the admittedly sensationalist proclamation "techno comes from Africa", and here is an extremely simplified version of my concept of this lineage: slave songs - blues - gospel - jazz - funk - disco - house - techno ---- the circle is complete. some may have problems with this generalization (and in some ways i do too), but all sidelines, exceptions, and details aside, essentially it makes sense to me. after all, the 4 on the floor hypnotic groove can be found in the myriad styles of African music from every era, be it high-life, rumba, or the thousands upon thousands of much older regional traditions.

most people were, and still are, confused, skeptical, or straight up dismissive when i talk about this, but history was made in 2008 with Warp Records' release of DJ Mujava's Township Funk, which i believe is only the beginning of Europeans coming to grips with the awesome power of African Techno.

i have been playing Euro-centric Minimal, Tech House, Breaks, Electro, etc., for years, but in recent times have increasingly sensed a solipsism, stagnation, and bankrupsy. in 2009 i feel the style loosely termed "UK Funky" is leading the way out of the rut; and it is no coincidence that the most exciting thing happening in European dance music is directly derivative of African and Afro-Caribbean rhythmic structures.

official

SEPARATE TRACKS DOWNLOAD:

rapidshare or megaupload

FUSION 1: afro-asian dubstep
FUSION 2: ancient futurist illbient psych dub
NGOMA 1: global hiphop and dancehall
NGOMA 2: afro techno, london house
NGOMA 3: Zulu House, Afro-Electro, UK Funky
NGOMA 4: generation bass
NGOMA 5: nomad boogie
NGOMA 6: ukulwa

Last edited:

run_time

Downloading this now...going on last edition, really looking forward to giving this one a listen

DougD

Rogue Trader
Really excellent Zhao - all your mixes have been superb, and I love hearing these styles that are new to me. Come to NYC and play sometime!

zhao

there are no accidents
the following went up on my blog a minute ago, thought i'd put it here as well:

a challenger arises. DJ Doom from Adelaide, Australia criticized my selection on NGOMA2 for being too obvious and lazy, and in response, has made a short Afro and Africanized house mix, showing us his approach to this sound.

and it is indeed lush -- a different feel from NGOMA2 entirely, using much lesser known tracks.

"Was gonna end it on 'Seasons' but I didn't wanna get accused of anthem bashing, I actually left the room to put the kettle on but changed my mind at the last minute as I wanted to end on a positive tip, cos Zhao - its all love out here

100% live - No Headphones, 100% unplanned / unrehearsed / unedited. Enjoy!"

Adelaide_Deep_-_LIVE.jpg

That Beep (Radioclit Remix) - Architecture In Helsinki
Fashion (Drum Remix) - Guzluv
Mbeki - Andy X
Alone In Africa Pt. One (Arnaud D Deep Mix) - Niko De Luka
Katumbo (Beats Mix) - Abicah Soul
Greenlight - Footsteps
So Good Today (Yoruba Soul Remix) - Ben Westbeech
Passages - Franck Roger
Mirror Dance (Yoruba Soul Mix) - Afefe Iku Ft. Oveous Maximus
Labyrinthe - DJ Gregory
Compromise - N.B. Funky
Seasons - Lil Silva
I Will Hold On (Ndiza Kulinda) - DJ Choc Ft. Mercy Pakela

DOWNLOAD DIRECT LINK

bigup Doom for this lovely mix, and thanks for keeping me on my toes. it's true, music is not competitive sports; but none the less, the only thing left for me to do now is rise to the occasion, and deliver a response to the response... :D

STAY TUNED.

Last edited: