other_life

bioconfused
theres something pleasantly, pantheistic or nature worshippy ab this thread of places having attitudes towards us, landmarks and landscapes as entities (the environment is an agent, angel, aghast, aglow, agon &c).
the ambient/immersive music distinction is also on point, while reclaiming ambient music for "music about ambience" rather than "music setting a preconscious ambience".
itd be nice if "backrooms" stuff was more about this - interminable expanse of once lived in, now emptied prefab spaces. rather than "also a monster is chasing you", which really is quite infantile.
i see a picture of the backrooms and all i want to do is go back there.

some excellent prose reserved for vektroid! -

"if this feeling was somehow preserved and reached another world many years later, a message in a bottle. Despite the tongue in cheek connotations, the promise of the title is genuine: if you listen you’ll be trained in, initiated into the cult of the subterranean. "

i think this paragraph gets at the... emotionally tortured colors and "clandestine game of signifiers" facets of NDL Initiation Tape exceptionally well

other_life

bioconfused
frankly the super hostile super docile piece on this read round not so gripping not so much for me, too dissensus framework rn. "blade runner jungle vs. kool fm jungle" or Wotever

other_life

bioconfused
the notion of cultures as palimpsests is also something eating me lately trying to look at different stills of jewish history (so to speak) in superimposition

other_life

bioconfused
today is tiferes in tiferes. spending the week building with buum mainly, he says independently of this piece that vaporwave evokes theatre and drama and character mask without having to do with the actual production, stagecraft of a theatre and evokes filmic plateaus while doing away with the celebrity-faciality of actors

sus

The presentation really adds to the effect. That fantastical blue city looming out of the mist; the images dotted throughout each entry; the pixelated header. Really emphasises the old histories line in Palimpsestscapes. Xanadu rubs up against the digital; Borges discovers Nintendo.

Idea of the "unvoice" jumped out at me, although I also read it as "univoice" at first and thought you were getting at some sort of master voice, containing all other voices and running beneath music like a rock layer. The voice heard across the portal. A combination of Xenakis' treasure room and Ahab sensing the features of a face behind the world. Certain configurations of sound drilling through and making contact.

7147a52747bd663e5f046f7d94d1758a.jpg
thinking about how much talent Version has and he wastes spends it on Dissensus

sus

A subterranean rumble can be an act of nature if it appears erratically, or the pulse of a factory if it appears with rigid regularity.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
What's a good platform to blog these days?
How to internalise but not to dissolve but sediment?
If you want web3 stuff, paragraph.xyz is good, I've been using that for a year or so. They just merged with Mirror, which had been the leading web3 blogging platform before.

sus

what's special about music is that it's the most empathetic medium. We don't just react to it, we sync with it. We become it.... Audio animation supports other forms of storytelling by escaping exposition and plunging us into the heart of things, into a state of deep emotional and physiological receptivity. We find ourselves caught in the intensities of dreamworlds that resonate from the atomic level up.

sus

in what would prove to be a tragic pattern in the history of audio animation, many of the era’s most renowned magicians prematurely abandoned their work. Ligeti, who created one of the most vivid works of 50s audio animation with “Artikulation”, never returned to the medium. Berio, who did likewise with the haunting "Omaggio a Joyce" followed a similar path. Stockhausen, as well, pursued other aesthetic ends after the 60s, only occasionally drawing on its power—most notably in composing the aerial battle of the archangels Lucifer and Michael in Dienstag aus Licht.

wektor

What are your goals?

If you don't care about RSS/mailing/distribution, and just wanna pass around to friends or keep for yourself, there are a ton of fun options:
- Are.na channel as blog
- Shared Google doc as blog
- Dissensus thread

If you want a "real" blog w/ RSS, I really like blot.im. Lovely Markdown interface. Recommended only if you have a lil bit of developer experience.

Wordpress and Blogspot are still around and chuggin, just ask Mvuent. I sorta hate my Wordpress but I'm stuck on it and it works. Really bulky, kinda ugly, and I spend $80 a year for the custom domain, but I haven't hated it enough to offboard.

There's always Tumblr.
might be ill be off still with either notion or a gh pages obsidian thingy, most of the simplest options ive seen around seem to resemble either of those

sus

If I make something that exists in a computer environment, why make it sound like it’s in a cathedral or something? [So reverb is kind of the trompe l’oeil to the abstract expressionism of pure synthesis?]

william_kent

If I make something that exists in a computer environment, why make it sound like it’s in a cathedral or something? [So reverb is kind of the trompe l’oeil to the abstract expressionism of pure synthesis?]

if you are on a computer and you can make it sound like 'anything" why make it sound like a computer?

• Haha
Reactions: sus