Rivers songs playlist

blissblogger

Lakes can be fed by rivers, or feed them.

Plus there are these things called oxbow lakes that are created by bends forming in rivers and then the banks collapses and you get lakes forming.

A really beautiful song by The Orb - it has an emotional gravity that I have rarely detected in their work, entertaining as it often has been

Wiki enlightens on the subject of oxbow lakes:

An oxbow lake is a U-shaped lake or pool that forms when a wide meander of a river is cut off, creating a free-standing body of water. The word "oxbow" can also refer to a U-shaped bend in a river or stream, whether or not it is cut off from the main stream. An oxbow lake forms when a meandering river erodes through the neck of one of its meanders. This takes place because meanders tend to grow and become more curved over time. The river then follows a shorter course that bypasses the meander. The entrances to the abandoned meander eventually silt up, forming an oxbow lake. Because oxbow lakes are stillwater lakes, with no current flowing through them, the entire lake gradually silts up, becoming a bog or swamp and then evaporating completely. When a river reaches a low-lying plain, often in its final course to the sea or a lake, it meanders widely.

Nowitna_river.jpg

The Orb's tune probably belongs to a category of songs, "seen from the window of a plane while on tour".

Possibly rather a small category of songs but there is Talking Heads's "The Big Country"

Or it could be in the category of songs, "composed after watching a nature documentary"

Again, possibly not a very large category, but I suspect some Cocteau Twins records belong there ("Victorialand", "Aikea-Guinea") and maybe some ambient chill-out type records.

blissblogger

Is a fjord a river?

Can be. It is a name Norwegians use for inlets of the sea (so not rivers) but also for estuaries (where a river joins the sea)

Are there any songs about fjords?

Why, certainly!

As you might expect, ECM has some.

For instance, "Sommernatt Ved Fjorden (By The Fjord)" by Ketil Bjørnstad

Unfortunately it's only available to Music Premium members on YouTube

As is his "Riverscape" (from the album Water Stories, Part 1).

He also did a whole album with David Darling called The River

Every piece is called "The River" which means that it's an album with a dozen title tracks.

0bleak

couldn't find it on youtube... don't use spotify myself, but looks like it's on there
"generated by attaching electrodes to the bank of the Arakawa River."

william_kent

scraping the bottom of the barrel here boys

Junior Dan - East of The Rio Cobre / version

I held off on posting this one because the tune isn't "all that" BUT the press release / backstory is PRICELESS

The Rio Cobre is a large river in St.Catherine, Jamaica, that runs from Sligoville through Spanish Town to the Sea by Brayton. It was one of the places where I used to practice my instruments and write songs. I worked out the melodica part whilst sitting on the east bank of the river, the same side as my home in Tyrall Heights, the inspiration behind the name Hi Tri. And while I was working on Wise Man I heard noises in a bush and noticed there was a donkey in there. When I stopped playing, the donkey stopped moving, and when I started again, the donkey resumed. I had to conclude the donkey was dancing... These sides were recorded at Joe Gibbs and mixed at Jamaica Information Service Studio. The musicians with me were Dennis Fearon and Albert Malawi... Jah Foundation is a chant based on verses from the Psalms. I wrote it in the hills of Sligoville. I was living in a cave there for eighteen months, gathering spiritual strength

william_kent

POURING A JAMACIAN RUM FOR VERSIONS BIRTHDAY

me too!

I'm drinking Myers's ( tricky apostrophes ) Dark Jamaican Rum

__opt__aboutcom__coeus__resources__content_migration__liquor__2014__12__Myers-Rum-ecb340448f0948938529ec9eb5ed0560.jpg

only £5 from Don Quijote in Osaka, Japan, fucking £35 if I want to buy it in the UK, we get ripped on tax, time for an alki revolution!