The Acton Arms, Kingsland Road

STN

sou'wester
Does anyone remember a pub called the Acton Arms? I went to see Sham 69 (or maybe UK Subs, I can't remember) there in 1994 at the tender age of 14 because my mate's band, The Walking Abortions (I know), was supporting them. I seem to remember it being somewhere along Kingsland Road - does anyone know where exactly it was or what it is now?

For some reason I'm very keen to know.

martin

----
Ian Bone's lot (The Living Legends) also played there some time in the late '90s, a Movement Against the Monarchy benefit - I think bits were filmed for some late-night ITV 'street culture' show.

STN

sou'wester
Cheers for that both of you. It looks really depressing now - I certainly can't imagine a horde of punks trying to climb in through the windows of the building pictured on the website.

I may go and pour half a can of Special Brew on the pavement outside as sentimental homage to what was probably a watershed of a night. Having gone there saved me from a kicking about 2 years down the line as well when I was rather improbably cornered by some skins outside Kingston Bingo Hall. The leader recognised me from having been 'down the front' at that particular gig and I was sent on my way.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I pass this every day on the way to and from work but I must say I'd never noticed it before. This morning I had a look as I went by the end of Arbutus Street and sure enough there is a kind of one storey building that looks as though it could once have been a pub. Barely recognisable though and it looked as though it was empty at the moment. The buildings above/behind also looked empty but I could have been wrong as (for once) the bus was moving quite quickly.

STN

sou'wester
IdleRich - I used to (unknowingly) go past it every day too (I get the 73 now), if only I could have gazed out of the window every morning at the stretch of road where I dragged my stupid goth friend back to Liverpool Street station by his heels after he got paralytic on some deeply unimpressive amount of guinness.

Anyway, look everyone, I'm really sorry, I don't know why I'm cocking on like this about a pub I went to once over ten years ago. You know when something just fills you with a sense of awkward (and rather unseemly) nostalgia? I'm turning into my mum...

Martin, cheers for the link, it certainly is of interest - lots of bands I'd forgotten about (Blythe Power? Christ.) and lots I'd never, ever heard of.

Apparently Charlie Harper can still be seen regularly in the Stoke Newington area. If I saw him, I'm not sure what I'd do. Probably something crap like shout 'waaaaaarheeeeaaaaad'.