Don Bolles in trouble

Leo

something is very weird here...that soap is available in every health food-type store in nyc. i even have the peppermint-scented variety in my shower right now (prob more info that you all need to know...)!

sounds like he's being screwed, no surprise considering that police department.

Octopus?

While I obviously don't know the exact details of the case, this note from somebody who was looking to get him a pro bono lawyer makes the statement above seem slightly murkier:

I called the Orange County Sheriff and they said the bail has been posted. I asked why he was arrested...they said possession of a controlled substance, possession of marijuana, and violation of a restraining order. He is getting released right now. They have not set a court date but generally it's a month later. I am a bit suspicious about the soap story. Before I can wholeheartedly defend someone I would like to get the complete facts. If anyone has additional details, please reply.

http://www.ocpunk.com/forum/showthread.php?p=55877

That being said, if it's really just about the soap...that's truly unbelievable.

zhao

there are no accidents
the funny thing is that Don used to smell worse than a homeless person. i would always immediately know when he entered a party or some experimental music show -- because of the stink.

glad he seems to be showering more regularly these days.

Woebot

you'd think that if you made a contribution to something like this that the absolute base-level courtesy would be a round-robin email saying "hey thanks for sending me all those dollars!"

it was the same thing with that robert anton wilson appeal. i mean is this the dark ages? how difficult is it to say thanks? :mad:

zhao

there are no accidents
ha. me no surprised Matt.

i get the feeling that things such as courtesy, graciousness, honesty and common decency are un-cool and deemed "bourgeois" by that crowd. i hung out with them briefly many years back, had enough after 2 weeks.

zhao

there are no accidents
a friend saw him at a night recently, he was partying with the soap company's owner's son. they're pals now, and will be doing cross market promotions and stuff. (that company seems like some kind of new-age cult)

zhao

there are no accidents
oh and another creepy incident which i think i tried to block out -- on Hollywood blvd a few months ago. when i was going to meet some friends for drinks, saw this guy from Don's crowd, a guy i used to see at gigs, sitting on the sidewalk, almost hidden from view by trash cans, playing a brocken guitar like a santoor, and barely making a sound. disturbing and very, very sad.

Woebot

ha. me no surprised Matt.

i get the feeling that things such as courtesy, graciousness, honesty and common decency are un-cool and deemed "bourgeois" by that crowd. i hung out with them briefly many years back, had enough after 2 weeks.

ha! cheers confucius

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
you'd think that if you made a contribution to something like this that the absolute base-level courtesy would be a round-robin email saying "hey thanks for sending me all those dollars!"

it was the same thing with that robert anton wilson appeal.

I don't know what you mean about RAW - there was fulsome thanks from his family, reporting RAW's gratitude, on his website and it was widely reported on Boing Boing, Wired and dozens of other places. RAW couldn't physically email people to say thank you because he was sick. And then he died. I didn't perceive any discourtesy there.

Woebot

I don't know what you mean about RAW - there was fulsome thanks from his family, reporting RAW's gratitude, on his website and it was widely reported on Boing Boing, Wired and dozens of other places. RAW couldn't physically email people to say thank you because he was sick. And then he died. I didn't perceive any discourtesy there.

of course you give, and that's that. charity innit.

re: raw. i missed all that actually. and actually it didnt bother me particularly, but the simple truth paul is that when you paypal bequest someone money they automatically have your email. you just round up the addresses and do a big bcc email. it's not complicated.

Freakaholic

not just an addiction
This is truly a bizarre story, but one i can see happening over and over again within our legal system.

Mistakes can and are made, as is evident here. Luckily for him he is somewhat of a celebrity, and was able to get both the company on his side and other people to raise his bail funds.

But cant you see this situtation, or at the least many like it occurring where the person was poor or broke and decidedly unfamous? Maybe in this sort of case, the second test would have been made eventually anyway, and he would eventually have been cleared. Even so, ignoring the chance the a person could have been convicted wrongly without a lawyer, what are the number of things that could have happened while he was in jail, unable to afford his bond? People's lives can and are ruined by a week or a month in county, awaiting a trial.

I dunno, just something i thought about. Our legal system is entirely too slanted toward those with money, but thats pretty obvious, eh?