cheating (at games, rather than life)

don_quixote

Trent End
all my friends think im an awful person (relatively speaking) and im banned from most board/card games now after i admitted to cheating quite heavily in a card game on wednesday night. we were playing something called racing demon which basically relied on a lot of honesty so i took advantage of it. i still lost but i drunkenly figured if everyone else could i may as well (and i got away with it).

then when i admitted this they were pretty annoyed which i think is fair enough, but then none of them had ever cheated at monopoly, and the way i see it is that games where there's very little skill and a lot of luck involved (say, like, monopoly), cheating should be allowed and punished if caught to add more skill to it. i said i'd certainly never cheat (or couldnt even think of ways to cheat, with little chance of being caught) in games like say boggle or scrabble.

so can you cheat and win with a clear conscience?

turtles

in the sea
Ha! I come from a long family line of game-cheaters...my dad refuses to play a card game he can't cheat at. I used to be forbidden from being the banker in monopoly because i'd always be lining my pockets :D I actually wish I could cheat at poker more but those bastards take things waaaay too seriously.

The key to cheating with a clear conscious is to assume everyone else is cheating as well, and then when it turns out they weren't, well, they just weren't taking full advantage of the situation.

swears

preppy-kei
If you're just cheating for a laugh in a non-money game, then that's not so bad, if a little annoying. Cheating in a card game when players have bet cash is stealing though isn't it? You might as well be taking money out their wallets.