When people with "Normal Music Taste" ask you what you listen to...

luka

people are not that sensitive are they? when people listen to music i don't like i take the piss out of them, an they take the piss out of me in return

bassnation

the abyss
luka said:
people are not that sensitive are they? when people listen to music i don't like i take the piss out of them, an they take the piss out of me in return

thats entirely different to saying "i love all this fantastic music which normals couldn't possibly appreciate and i'm wondering how i can deal with their dull-as-dishwater questions regarding my taste" though, isn't it?

jenks

thread death
that's my fault for changing the question - sorry
as far saying what i listen to - it's just too diverse to say one kind of thing, generally i probably skirt the issue by saying 'allsorts' and then having to say 'ah yes but not that' and yes i do think people are that sensitive - it doesn't bother me, my wife is the worst critic and i ahve given up trying to explain that 'yes this is music' but others do get upset when you call coldplay 'bedwetter's music'

Chef Napalm

Lost in the Supermarket
bassnation said:
thats entirely different to saying "i love all this fantastic music which normals couldn't possibly appreciate and i'm wondering how i can deal with their dull-as-dishwater questions regarding my taste" though, isn't it?
I don't think it's that at all. What you’re describing is as much cynicism as it is snobbery. I would suggest that the pervading sentiment amongst dissensions is more weariness than scorn. Being just about the only person I know into this stuff (apart from my local record store owner, who I have to drive an hour each way to see), I would dearly love to find a local kindred spirit. The internet is great and all, but you can’t beat an actual face-to-face conversation over a pint.

puretokyo

Mercury Blues
two parts to this:

3underscore said:
The whole problem is that when they say some band, and you say "I don't listen to them", you are immediately (by effect) saying it isn't good.

the statement, "i listen to good music", does not imply that i listen to all music that is good, only that i listen only to music that is good. there can be good music i haven't heard yet.

3underscore said:
Plus, if good is subjective, it would be very weird if you didn't buy things that were good - if your belief is that it is subjective, it would have been better not to answer as the response has no content.

so you suggest silence as a response? i think not. the point of saying 'i listen to good music' is to underscore the fact that i don't listen by genre - i listen purely by its appeal to me. theres no 'type' of music that i like, i like almost all types (can't think of one i don't, but i'm sure you lot can). for me, theres good music ie music i (would) like and theres music i don't, which to me isn't good music. if it was, i'd like it. "i listen to good music" is in effect an abbreviation of the unwieldy response "i listen to all different types of music but just the parts i like".

stevienixed

i suffer rock
People don't really ask me. If they do, I give the cliche answer:"all sorts of music." and change the subject. I don't like talking about music *in real life* (a few people excepted).

SergDun

I usually say "hardcore rap music"

I started saying that after some girl said that's what I listened too after she saw my 4001 legacy tape.