Film - breaking news, gossip, slander, lies etc

version

Written by Andrew Kevin Walker, best known as the screenwriter behind 1990s classic Se7en, and based on a story by Cosmatos and Walker, Flesh is set in Los Angeles during the glittering 1980s.

Per the producers, the story follows a married couple, Raoul (Isaac) and Alex (Stewart), who descend each evening from their luxury skyscraper condo and head into an electric nighttime realm of ’80s LA. When they cross paths with the mysterious and enigmatic woman and her hard-partying cabal, Raoul and Alex are seduced into a glamorous, surrealistic world of hedonism, thrills and violence.

version

Curious about this new slasher some are hyping:

Described as an "ambient slasher", the film follows a mute killer who targets a group of teenagers in the Ontario wilderness, with the events observed largely from the killer's perspective.

version

Schrader with a beautiful tribute to Corman.

roger-corman-pioneering-independent-producer-and-king-of-b-v0-s18ds5lnwwzc1.jpeg

catalog

He's a class act. Have you heard about new Arthur jafa piece? He's re-edited taxi driver so sport, the harvey keitel pimp, is now a black guy. Cos that's how schrader wrote it. But scorsese apparently bowed to studio who feared rave riots if he was black. Tarantino talks about it in his new book too

version

He's a class act. Have you heard about new Arthur jafa piece? He's re-edited taxi driver so sport, the harvey keitel pimp, is now a black guy. Cos that's how schrader wrote it. But scorsese apparently bowed to studio who feared rave riots if he was black. Tarantino talks about it in his new book too

I knew that was how the film was supposed to go, but didn't know Jafa had done that.

version

Now comes ***** at Gladstone Gallery, an appropriation of a different sort. Viewers can readily identify its source: the penultimate scene from Martin Scorsese’s 1977 film, Taxi Driver. Beginning with the sociopathic protagonist’s murder of Sport, the man who pimps out Jodie Foster’s teenage prostitute, Jafa shows us Robert DeNiro’s Travis Bickle, but Sport, played by Harvey Keitel in the film, is now Scar, a Black actor (Jerrel O’Neal) who speaks Sport’s lines and makes the same moves. Black actors also fill the roles of the other men killed in the bloodbath; ditto the police who come into the room, guns drawn.

The scene, including its famous overhead shot and long tracking shot through the hallways and into the street, repeats and repeats, from different starting points and cut to different rhythms, throughout the nearly 75 minutes of Jafa’s film. After several repetitions, some opening-night viewers left the Gladstone's 21st Street space, thinking they had seen the whole loop. They hadn’t. Jafa inserted one take where Bickle kills himself, and gave Scar two hummed monologues taken from song lyrics and poems he talk-sings to, including As, the hit from Stevie Wonder’s 1977 album, Songs in the Key of Life.

shakahislop

Now comes ***** at Gladstone Gallery, an appropriation of a different sort. Viewers can readily identify its source: the penultimate scene from Martin Scorsese’s 1977 film, Taxi Driver. Beginning with the sociopathic protagonist’s murder of Sport, the man who pimps out Jodie Foster’s teenage prostitute, Jafa shows us Robert DeNiro’s Travis Bickle, but Sport, played by Harvey Keitel in the film, is now Scar, a Black actor (Jerrel O’Neal) who speaks Sport’s lines and makes the same moves. Black actors also fill the roles of the other men killed in the bloodbath; ditto the police who come into the room, guns drawn.

The scene, including its famous overhead shot and long tracking shot through the hallways and into the street, repeats and repeats, from different starting points and cut to different rhythms, throughout the nearly 75 minutes of Jafa’s film. After several repetitions, some opening-night viewers left the Gladstone's 21st Street space, thinking they had seen the whole loop. They hadn’t. Jafa inserted one take where Bickle kills himself, and gave Scar two hummed monologues taken from song lyrics and poems he talk-sings to, including As, the hit from Stevie Wonder’s 1977 album, Songs in the Key of Life.

the other one that's on at the moment, at one of the zwirner galleries, is unbelievably shit. i like his stuff in general but the one was so bad it makes me think the guy is a blagger. perhaps an unfair response.

shakahislop

i keep trying to work out the best way to write this on here, without it sounding like showing off or whatever, but i was about two feet away from paul schrader a few weeks ago. he did a q&a after a screening of touch at a cinema here and then was in the lobby afterwards, i had to navigate around him. surprisingly he wasn't mobbed, there was only one guy speaking to him. i don't think he comes off as particularly unfriendly but he is a bit intimidating. an edge somewhere. roughness to his manner. there is something about the 70s guys which is a bit like an extinct species. in the moment thought about going for a chat but i have nothing to say to him at all. except maybe 'did you know that your movies are the cornerstone of versioncore'.