When Do We Stop Finding New Music?

mixed_biscuits

I think what makes the average stuff from their favourite genre tolerable to people is that it has some musical element that is less prominent in other genres e.g. a jungle fan wants to hear breaks 90% of the time; a happy hardcore fan will put up with inconsistent vocal performances in exchange for speed and endless cheesy riffs; guitar genre fans are hooked on particular guitar sounds that predominate in each.

Finding the musical element that you like the most is easier than finding the best in a genre - another reason why people get locked in early.

sus

When I was 13/14 I was obsessed with Mozart, Arcade Fire, and Cat Stevens. Don't listen to any of them anymore. Can't. Unstomachable

sus

The problem with treating social studies research as science is that you reify the laziness and incentive structure of an average person as if they were biological limits. Somehow everyone does this all the time

sus

For the old man, there is no longer any novelty in the world, because he has decided there is none.

Even surprises are post-emptively explained away with ease.

All the animals have been named and identified. Evolution freezes in its tracks; there are no new animals.

This thread is dedicated to Leo.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Thinking about the stuff I READ as a teenager which I'd not read now, it's all that Beat Poet stuff, plus anything remotely 'shocking', in praise of drugs, 'edgy' scatological stuff...

I guess the teenage equivalent of that was gangsta rap. I still listen to a bit of morally reprehensible rap music but I think the appeal of it was much bigger when I was a teenage soft lad village boy who wanted to feel a bit rebellious and less scared of women.

sus

'Calcify' is quite a negative spin on what is just coming to know what one enjoys the most and bringing it into focus - calcification makes it sound like one's missing out on pleasure rather than maximising it, which is what is actually happening.
Explore exploit algorithms recommend a third of your time searching and the other two thirds exploiting what you've found

mixed_biscuits

You can legitimately slag yourself off for buying a Status Quo record as your first single - as I did - but Mozart is a fine place for anyone to end let alone start (I presume, I haven't really listened to any of it).

sus

They love Bach they love Russian fin de siecle but they hate Mozart. They say he is cloying and simple. It's sad! They ruined it for me perhaps

sus

My first CD was a four-disc set at Ross discount center for $4.99. Top 100 Mozart Finest.

sus

I bought it with a knockoff oriental vase and a Manet poster. I was very pretentious at twelve. I wonder if my parents were disappointed when I started listening to indie. Or relieved.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
You can legitimately slag yourself off for buying a Status Quo record as your first single - as I did - but Mozart is a fine place for anyone to end let alone start (I presume, I haven't really listened to any of it).

no its nonce music. Frilly petty coates and the skirts of women of the gentry. Beethoven's where it is at. Muscular thumping triumphant revolutionary terror, storming of the bastille.

sus

I've tried really hard with Beethoven and very little sticks. The 9th makes me shudder. Heroica is a chore.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
I've tried really hard with Beethoven and very little sticks. The 9th makes me shudder. Heroica is a chore.

I'm ngl Furtwängler's rendition of beethoven's 9th (1942) slaps.

I mean, he should have been denazified to hell post-war instead of making any more recordings, but that's just the way it is.

Much better conductor than the perpetually overrated and unrepentent von Karajan.

Reactions: sus