wiley - playtime is over

Immryr

its quite funny that the posts in this thread have been fairly negative about the album, and alot of the posts in the thread on dizzee's new one are semi positive, even though i think the general consensus would be that playtime is over is the better album!

hucks

Your Message Here
its quite funny that the posts in this thread have been fairly negative about the album, and alot of the posts in the thread on dizzee's new one are semi positive, even though i think the general consensus would be that playtime is over is the better album!

Dizzee's is the better album. There are some poor tracks - Christ, that one with Lily Allen is unspeakable - but the good ones are much better than anything on the Wiley album. Doing a veil of ignorance kind of experiment thing, pretending to know nothing about Dizz or Wiley, the Dizzee album has more variation, and more personality.

And, Pussyole is fucking awesome ....

28 Gun Nice Boy

I like My Mistakes. More about humility than regrets imo.

Agree about releasing Flyboy and Stars.

Stars (a/k/a I've Got Lyrics) & Fly Boy have both already been released on white label, although the 'Fly Boy' one is the original version (the one that appeared on Tunnel Vision). I'm sure you can still pick them up some where.

zhao

there are no accidents
listening for first time right now... have to say so far exceeding my expectations. good album.

mos dan

fact music
And, Pussyole is fucking awesome ....

naaaaah mate, not afaic. the beat's ancient source material just sounds wrong with dizzee's voice.

i haven't even picked up dizzee's album yet.. nothing i've heard yet has made me want to.

hucks

Your Message Here
naaaaah mate, not afaic. the beat's ancient source material just sounds wrong with dizzee's voice.

I dunno - I wouldn't say it sounds any wronger than Fix Up Look Sharp, which also used vintage source material. Plus the rave synths (making it 2 x old skool!) give it the energy/hyperactivity that you associate with Dizzee.

Immryr

yeah, but, fix up look sharp was whack too. its one of the only two tunes i would rather werent on BIDC.

john eden

male pale and stale
BBC Radio 4's The Today Programme played a snippet of "Gangsterz" this morning as part of a piece on black youth being excluded from school and getting into gangs.

EDIT - it's true Mr Prancehall, I nearly choked on me toast! :)

Last edited:

gumdrops

pussyole sounds like it could be a great grime tune cos of the synths in it (someone could remix it maybe?)
i like it now, but didnt when i first heard it for the same reason i dont really like fix up look sharp - would rather hear dizzee doing his own thing rather than old school hip hop (neither do anything that amazing with the breaks they use either)
M+E is just the far superior album
not a grime album no but its just better
dizzee is just that good
i do miss his old sense of flow but he just knows how to write songs - im not sure wiley really does

gumdrops

1 thing ive noticed about wiley is that hes best when he doesnt have to stick to a topic, mostly. like, his verse on racist people by roll deep is a bit silly, and the one he does on scars with NGs is again a bit basic and literal. he seems best when hes just being random i think.

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
just a rascal

Even though this track was clearly more compromised towards being populist than the other tracks, the third verse of this song is some of Dizzee's most fucked up MCing ever. I don't even think I've heard another MC kill a verse like that.

He sounds so pissed that he can barely get the words out of his mouth.

benjybars

village elder.
1 thing ive noticed about wiley is that hes best when he doesnt have to stick to a topic, mostly. like, his verse on racist people by roll deep is a bit silly, and the one he does on scars with NGs is again a bit basic and literal. he seems best when hes just being random i think.

i agree mostly accept that i think his verse on Scars is heavy