scottdisco

rip this joint please
The consitution is a similar test case. It wouldn't suprise me if the sensible people in the party voted for a new equal opps constition or shifted the goalposts in some other way.

very good point.

as a mate of mine remarked the other day, 'if he was allowed in, Ian Wright [the footballer] would join the BNP'. it was in semi-jest, of course, but he's probably right :slanted:

some of their views on Islam and recent immigrants, for example, will of course sit well with reactionaries of many different ethnicities etc and nobody should find that a novel insight: i always remember being frustrated w BBC News man George Alagiah wrt a piece of his when he went w a camera-crew to Burnley some years ago.

it was discussing recent Polish migrant workers etc and George spoke to locals of Pakistani heritage, including some men who were builders. they were moaning about the Poles (or whichever central European nationality) and GA very naively tried to say something like 'surely you know about prejudice, i'm surprised to hear this from you' etc type fare.
well, yes, George. doesn't always work that way, unfortunately.

being a populist cunt is not restricted to WASP males after all.

crackerjack

it was discussing recent Polish migrant workers etc and George spoke to locals of Pakistani heritage, including some men who were builders. they were moaning about the Poles (or whichever central European nationality) and GA very naively tried to say something like 'surely you know about prejudice, i'm surprised to hear this from you' etc type fare.

Had the exact same thing with an old flatmate a few weeks back. He was talking about how the east end wasn't as bad now as it was 2 years ago cos there weren't as many Poles about. I said your parents are Indian, you were born in Kenya, brought up in Oldham, live in America and are married to an Irishwoman. What don't you like about immigration?

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
thats more to do with the trend of people living by themselves in smaller units and in larger houses. three times as much housing is used for white people than for ethnic minorities or immigrants.

its yet another right wing myth that has been debunked, that britian is full and this is due to immigration.

I never said "Britain is full because of immigrants" - most of the population growth took place in the 18th/19th/early 20th centuries during and after the industrial revolution. I'm just saying that most of the growth happening now is to do with immigration.

I appreciate what you're saying about people living apart more, this is certainly true. And yes, plenty of rich, mainly white people live in massive old houses, but as I said above, new houses and flats being built are very small, and in London for instance most 3- or 4-story Georgian/Victorian houses are divided up into flats. So whatever trend there was for large houses has certainly been reversed by now.

no-one is suggesting removing border controls, although its a bit fucking rich for previous immigrants to want to pull up the drawbridge imo. its a huge landmass, not a night club with a capacity of a few hundred. and like i said, you might not have done this, but the far right DOES focus on skin colour as it seems perfectly acceptable for rich white people to migrate here.

I really don't know about Britain being a "huge landmass", you know. I mean France has the same population (a bit less even, I think) and almost 2.5 times as much land area. Not that France doesn't have social problems of its own, but competition for land and homes is obviously much less severe than it is here. And France is a fairly densely populated country in the scheme of things, compared to the US, say, let alone Australia or Canada. Surely these are the countries that should be welcoming immigrants with open arms? Yet Australia's immigration policy is notoriously hard-line. Even in Europe there are some relatively sparsely-populated countries, like Sweden. Plus it's hardly as if the population is evenly distributed; most of it is squashed into a few of the larger English cities.

Anyway, ignoring that for the moment, yes I can of course see how this kind of argument could easily be given a racist slant, and thanks for acknowledging that I'm not. In fact, if you compare a wealthy Australian or American who's going to come here and live in a big house, drive a car and so on with some guy from Bangladesh or Somalia, or even Poland, it makes more sense to let the latter person in rather than the former from a land-/resource-use perspective.

the NHS would collapse tomorrow if we got rid of all those immigrants "filling our country up"

Which raises a quite different question about the likely effect this is having on the provision of health care in the developing countries that supply us with so many of our doctors, nurses and pharmacists...

Edit:
This is precisely the problem. Immigration debate has been couched for so long in terms of race that it's become reflex for many on the left to support it, no matter what. And to accuse anyone who questions it of racism, or indeed picking their views from the pages of the Mail and Express.

Yes, exactly: you get right-wing people indiscriminately against immigration, and leftists indiscriminately in favour (because any other position is "racist", by definition) with neither side able to understand that there may be both advantages *and* disadvantages sometimes, like this is too complicated an idea or something.

Last edited:

BSquires

i live in charnwood.

last council elections (which i was actually living away for) the choice was tory, ukip or bnp. no other party was on the ballot.

i really should start standing round here or something.

So do I!

Maybe it's not such a surprise that the BNP is 'popular' considering the fact that Mark Collett's parents live in Charnwood. I think his mother stood in the last council election. If they can't raise some cronies in the party here then they are screwed... It does mean I get their retard publicity through my door though... joy.

vimothy

yurp
Maybe I was being too pat earlier in my discussion of the probable downsides to unskilled labour immigration. Labour economics is not something that generally interests me, so you may want to take this with a large pinch of salt, but…

In one theoretical model, we assume the following: constant returns to scale technology, one output good sold at prices set in global markets, three factors of production: capital, skilled labour and unskilled labour, perfect elasticity of capital supply and the perfect inelasticity of labour supply. Since the return to capital is fixed, any gains from a change in labour composition (i.e. net migration inflows leading to more unskilled workers who reduce the marginal product of unskilled labour) accrue to skilled workers. This is an aggregate gain for this economy (per capita income rises) though specific sectors (unskilled workers) lose out.

Any elasticity in labour supply will result in voluntary unemployment among workers whose wages are falling.

However, if we were to relax another assumption, and model the same economy, but with heterogeneous tradable goods, we would see a very different dynamic at work. With a variety of tradable goods, output can accommodate changes in the skill composition of labour. Immigration will drive up profitability in the affected sector, pushing down wages of unskilled workers and driving up the wages of skilled workers. This in turn will lead to an expansion of production and an increase in the demand for unskilled labour, eventually returning the unskilled wage to its pre-immigration equilibrium.

That said, what effect immigration is having in British labour markets is an empirical rather than theoretical matter. But simply assuming that everything is good and that the aggregate benefits to the economy justify policy does not seem good enough to me any more. I think that those of us in favour of immigration, globalisation and liberalisation have been too quick to dismiss the grievances of those whose livelihoods are touched by these changes. Even those who haven’t but think that they have need to be considered in order to maintain support for the global liberal economy.

Last edited:

scottdisco

rip this joint please
I think that those of us in favour of immigration, globalisation and liberalisation have been too quick to dismiss the grievances of those whose livelihoods are touched by these changes. Even those who haven’t but think that they have need to be considered in order to maintain support for the global liberal economy.

a very fair response Vim.

my 'populist cunts' ^ was clearly flip, for instance, i must admit.

vimothy

yurp
If there is anyone out there who’s not as technologically inept as me, could you get some data from the ONS site? In the British Labour Force Survey there should be some tables cross-tabulating skill and educational composition of native and immigrant workforces in the UK. I can’t make the bloody thing work and its doing my nut.

grizzleb

If it's live, everyone should walk out and leave the BNP rep sat at the desk on their own, fade to black...
Why, because they are beyond talking to? Stuff likes this only makes retards think they have a point. They should be treated like everyone else, as belittled as such, not with ridiculous stunts. The fact so many people are talking about it only legitimises them more to some extent. The thing to remember is that alot of their support will be people who aren't what we would call properly racists, just a little thick. The only way you can beat that kind of ideology is if A) You treat it like any other party and B) You argue against it's actual policies (or what have you) and not simply bash it's image of racism. That's cheap and easy and will only serve to gain them sympathy in the long term.

mixed_biscuits

its always nice when people ignore arguments to the contrary, further upthread. we NEED immigration to keep the NHS running, to ensure the same standard of living, and to counter an aging population. who's going to be looking after you in the old peoples home, or delivering your grandchildren in hospital?

My point didn't contradict the arguments up-thread. The arguments up-thread were for allowing immigration until an optimal population has been reached (they assumed that we haven't reached this point); my point referred to the consequences of permitting indiscriminate and endless immigration (I know that this isn't nor will be the case) whilst other countries restrict immigration: if we allow indiscriminate immigration whilst others discriminate, then immigration would only cease once we become the least appealing choice for those able to move.

The problem is not space but upgrading and maintaining infrastructure. Presumably building restrictions on the outskirts of London could be relaxed to solve the former but ensuing heavier loads on the transport network, education, health and social services would be difficult to manage.

Martin Dust

Techno Zen Master
Why, because they are beyond talking to?

A show of solidarity, a short statement and gone.

Stuff likes this only makes retards think they have a point.

Nick Griffin is far from being a retard.

They should be treated like everyone else, as belittled as such, not with ridiculous stunts.

The problem is, they shouldn't really, they are all racist cunts and shouldn't be treated like everyone else. Come up to Sheffield and I'll introduce you to his goons, see if you change your mind ;)

The fact so many people are talking about it only legitimises them more to some extent.

Rubbish.

The thing to remember is that alot of their support will be people who aren't what we would call properly racists, just a little thick.

It has it's basis in racism and fear, and I wouldn't call the working classes thick either. Properly racist, FFS.

The only way you can beat that kind of ideology is if A) You treat it like any other party and B) You argue against it's actual policies (or what have you) and not simply bash it's image of racism. That's cheap and easy and will only serve to gain them sympathy in the long term.

Do you really believe that?

grizzleb

What? It's not all working class who are in the BNP, I didn't call the working class thick so you can fuck off. I'm working class.

Nick Griffin is far from being a retard, I was referring to people who might be swayed by his arguments.

I make the distinction between naive people who might vote for his party on the basis of what they say "Were not racist, just patriots" and party apparatus, who I would say are racist.

And as for the last point, as a fucking concern of human rights as much as anything else, you have to treat everyone exactly the same, otherwise it is , by definition, persecution. They should be given no special treatment, it just makes them look 'special'. They're not. They are a political party with racist views. That's it.

Martin Dust

Techno Zen Master
What? It's not all working class who are in the BNP, I didn't call the working class thick so you can fuck off. I'm working class.
Nick Griffin is far from being a retard, I was referring to people who might be swayed by his arguments.

OK, so you didn't call the working class retards but then go on to say the people who vote for them are, who just happen to be 80% working class - make your mind up.

grizzleb

That's a nonsense argument. Does anyone know what logical fallacy is afoot there?
http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies/composition.html ?

You've ignored everything else I did say and focused on something I didn't say.

There's a difference between saying that people who vote BNP are idiots and working class are idiots. A huge one. I'd happily include the other 20% of WHATEVER CLASS.
Besides of which, I had no idea what % of what class voted BNP anyway, so bolt.

grizzleb

By your logic, if 70% of people who voted for the BNP were men, then I would be calling men (all of them) retards. That's why you are patently talking mince.

scottdisco

rip this joint please
Those Tory generals who today attacked the British National Party should remember that at the Nuremburg [sic] Trials, the politicians and generals accused of waging illegal aggressive wars were all charged — and hanged — together

classy stuff from Griffin earlier today responding to the There's Nothing British About the BNP campaign

got to love how he's forgotten which airplanes his mob really liked in WWII

i found this picture in a google, i'm sure the IT bods at BNP party HQ can do even better, you'd think

luft13.jpg

Last edited:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
OK, so you didn't call the working class retards but then go on to say the people who vote for them are, who just happen to be 80% working class - make your mind up.

Can we diffuse this whole situation by saying "uneducated" instead of "thick" or "retarded"? A lot of working class people are uneducated, and this isn't a slur on anyone's personaly qualities: it's an inescapable result of underfunded and mismanaged state schools in poorer areas, (plus a whole matrix of related socio-economic factors) and the ever-increasing cost of a university education which makes it more and more unappealing to anyone who can't rely on substantial parental contributions.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Can we say formally under-educated, to make it even fairer/truer?

I guess, if it makes you feel better. I don't mean to sound patronising, just recognising that a lot of people in this country are at best indifferent to the value of learning, if not actively hostile to it, and that this attitude is more common among working class people. Sorry to say it, but that's just my experience.