luka

the book of essays penman put out recently was the most boring book ive ever finished.

luka

yeah the music one. talking about the most boring obvious people like frank sinatra etc. his LRB essays are always fucking awful too.

luka

hes become one of those rambling old men talking about all the boring things they used to like when they were young.

version

I loved the Fassbinder one, but it is very much about him interrogating things he liked when he was young. It's not like the LRB essays though. It's much more broken up and rapid fire - and better for it.

mind_philip

saw the light
She's an heiress so basically minted, bags of money.
I've always enjoyed annoying my wife with a line from a movie I can't remember the name of. Someone asks "how did you make your money" and the guy replies along the lines of... "I made it the old-fashioned way. I married it."

luka

I've always enjoyed annoying my wife with a line from a movie I can't remember. Someone asks "how did you make your money" and the guy replies along the lines of... "I made it the old-fashioned way. I married it."
yeah i did have a memory of you saying you married an impossibly rich american woman. just cant remember the details. dont you live in bermuda or soemthing?

mind_philip

saw the light
yeah i did have a memory of you saying you married an impossibly rich american woman. just cant remember the details. dont you live in bermuda or soemthing?
My wife is English and we live in California now. Her family aren't mega rich compared to the kind of people we live around these days (billionaires just a couple of streets over), but they've definitely got a few quid.

luka

he does some IT support work for a local primary school but it's as and when they need it, not a full or part time position.

mind_philip

saw the light
My family, most of whom are nurses and teachers, would say that what I do isn't work. But I do freelance a couple of days a week; mostly out of anxiety about being out of the loop and then not being able to get back in should I ever need to.

luka

yeah thats sensible. if you dont have any money of your own they can start to control you and withold money when you want a drinky winky or to buy drugs

luka

thats why catalog helps the school out. she can't stop him going to the pub if he can pay for his own pints. its important to maintain a degree of indpendence.

luka

if your wife is rich they wont let you go on the dole either so it does you leave you completely dependent on their whims.

mind_philip

saw the light
Wages/freelance rates over here are a lot higher than in London. If you're solely reliant on your own income, then things like medical insurance and cost of living eat into that pretty quickly. But it's a pretty good place to come and earn for a few years if they'll let you in.