Patter

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Ha, 'buddy' sounds (or, in this context, looks) totally American to me - I can't really imagine anyone in Britain using it. But then, I've never been to Inverness.

zhao

there are no accidents
Aren't modes of speech to some extent cultural capital?

To take an obvious example, upper class boys who speak as though they were working class, are trying to assume some of the supposed 'coolness' of being street, without acknowledging any of the negative factors of poverty of income and opportunity.

If you're doing it to avoid being beaten up in a particular situation, that's one thing. If you're doing it outside of such a situation, it's patronising and stupid.

like i said, when there are exploitative undertones, (or overtones), or done in an insensitive manner, it becomes problematic, but i completely disagree with you that any sort of conscious imitation is automatically "stupid" and "patronising".

i wouldn't mind losing some of my californian accent and perhaps trying on the age old british affectation so popular in hollywood for a bit.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
What about when those kids (of today) grow up a bit, do you think they will change the way they speak?

Yeah, you tend to see over 25s kinda dropping it from what I've seen, more to do with workplace I think than anything else.

I like the new race-less UK accent, I think it's great, and kinda futuristic. We talked about this on some thread ages ago but I can't find it now.

zhao

there are no accidents
and is it a problem when ghetto kids try to look like they're from the Hamptons? (half of Hilfiger's winning strategy way back when)

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
i wouldn't mind losing some of my californian accent and perhaps trying on the age old british affectation so popular in hollywood for a bit.

I've always wanted to talk like that as well, I think it would be really shocking if non-white people suddenly started doing that, as well as being hilarious and kinda suave.

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
Ha, 'buddy' sounds (or, in this context, looks) totally American to me - I can't really imagine anyone in Britain using it. But then, I've never been to Inverness.

You're not missing much, etc etc. Oh ho ho.
But yeah, it's kind of an odd one right enough, no idea where it came from originally. Heard people shortening it to 'bud' or 'buds' quite often too (I don't do that though - not working-class enough ;) ).

Edit: have I just made Invernesians into an exotic Other. I sure hope so!

DannyL

Wild Horses
They're all inexact: that's the point. You and Danny are engaged in a little power play yourselves here: stating the acceptable limits of identity, validating racial categories, taking as given a monolithic conception of that most mistreated of phrases, "power relations".

I much prefer cultural miscegenation. And incidentally, if Dissensus is anything to go by, so do most people here--including you!

That’s the point though. Identities are enacted socially. They don’t all just happen in a big void. Me objecting to someone aping another pattern of speech for reasons of coolness is part of this…. If you’re in favour of miscegenation, then some respect for other cultures surely is part of this – acknowledging and recognising their boundaries and point of differences even as they change and mutate - otherwise it all just becomes a big soup where everything is the same. Or are you saying a rich white guy speaking patois is exactly the same as a poor black guy speaking the same? That’s ignoring the whole context in which these dialects are spoken within.

viktorvaughn

Hehehe.

Random little thought: would people say that addressing people as 'mate' is a marker of either being working-class or approximating towards working-class? In the past it obv would have been one of the two in any situation, but it seems like one of those things that's passed into the general culture and become an almost neutral term.
Myself, I prefer 'buddy' anyway (think that's an Invernesian/North-Eastern thing originally?).

I think mate has gone neutral now, tons of people say it.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Or are you saying a rich white guy speaking patois is exactly the same as a poor black guy speaking the same?

But what about a working-class black kid, a working-class white kid and a working-class South Asian kid talking in more or less the same dialect/accent/idiom because they've grown up together and that's just how they talk? In other words it's a result of a convergence of speech patterns, not one group adopting an idiom that 'belongs' to another but rather, mutual influence.

People can end up with usages in their language that have originated in other cultures without it necessarily being a case of bankers from Surrey trying to sound like Buju Banton...can't they?

Last edited:

Pestario

tell your friends
That's one interesting thing about living in a different country or even city, many people won't be able to decode the 'class' origin of an accent so readily.

yes, especially Australian accents in London/Uk: silly but harmless to most people

vimothy

yurp
Or are you saying a rich white guy speaking patois is exactly the same as a poor black guy speaking the same? That’s ignoring the whole context in which these dialects are spoken within.

I'm not saying that. . However: back in the early '90s when I wore baggy jeans, listened to hip-hop, and road a skateboard, I was in school in the Netherlands. I remember walking down the hall and a couple of frat boy types passed me and said, "guess that's what they call a wigger". Reference to the term "n*gger" notwithstanding, you both seem to be in agreement. White people shouldn't try to act (or speak) black. And what does it mean to "act black"? It means here that there are ways of being that are unique to the different races, and that we must respect that uniqueness. But of course none of these things are actually true.

* * * * *​

On power relations, I am reminded of an off-the-cuff footnote in Reassembling the Social on the way that sociology has often "substituted an invisible, unmovable, and homogeneous world of power for itself":

That this lesson is easy to forget is shown dramatically by the transatlantic destiny of Michel Foucault. No one was more precise in his analytical decomposition of the tiny ingredients from which power is made, and no one was more critical of social explanations. And yet, as soon as Foucault was translated, he was immediately turned into the one who had "revealed" power relations behind every innocuous activity: madness, natural history, sex, administration, etc. This proves again withn what energy the notion of social explanation should be fought: even the genius of Michel Foucault could not prevent such a total inversion.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
They're all inexact: that's the point. You and Danny are engaged in a little power play yourselves here: stating the acceptable limits of identity, validating racial categories, taking as given a monolithic conception of that most mistreated of phrases, "power relations".

I much prefer cultural miscegenation. And incidentally, if Dissensus is anything to go by, so do most people here--including you!

No time to answer in full, but about minority groups that aren't in favour of complete cultural miscegenation and want to protect what they see as their culture? Do cultural/communal rights not count?

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
However: back in the early '90s when I wore baggy jeans, listened to hip-hop, and road a skateboard, I was in school in the Netherlands. /QUOTE]

Just an aside - I've never understood why these things have to go together - I love hip hop, but that's separate from what I like to wear and what social activities I like....to me breaking down those kind of connections is real cultural miscegenation, not takin on all the tropes of some sphere you like. ie unpackaging things...

vimothy

yurp
No time to answer in full, but about minority groups that aren't in favour of complete cultural miscegenation and want to protect what they see as their culture? Do cultural/communal rights not count

This course of action is open to any and all and is frequently invoked--by the BNP, for example. But it's more complicated than the racial or cultural purists would have you believe.

Just an aside - I've never understood why these things have to go together - I love hip hop, but that's separate from what I like to wear and what social activities I like....to me breaking down those kind of connections is real cultural miscegenation, not takin on all the tropes of some sphere you like. ie unpackaging things...

Indeed. Why should wearing baggy jeans mean I was acting black? What does the way I dress have to do with anything...?

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
No time to answer in full, but about minority groups that aren't in favour of complete cultural miscegenation and want to protect what they see as their culture? Do cultural/communal rights not count?

Sure, but what groups might be especially keen to do this? At a guess I'd imagine orthodox Jews, maybe - but are Hebrew-derived slang terms and usages common amonst da yoof? Probably not, as orthodox Jews tend to form very insular communities and not mix much with outsiders. OTOH, do Brits of West Indian origin lose a lot of sleep over the popularity of Red Stripe here or the prevalence of 'batty-boy' as an insult? Let's not get all well-meaning-white-liberals-taking-offence-on-other-people's-behalf about this.

Last edited: