what is wobble?

Blackdown

nexKeysound
Simon Reynolds describes wobble as the properly hardcore component of dubstep - something Andy alluded to upthread, I think - which is fair enough: it's got the who gives-a-shit attitude to good taste, the dancefloor-centricness, the OTT caner thing. Although it doesn't have the haphazardly yoked together combination of elements and factions that made ardkore 92 so fertile - so it's more like happy hardcore or gabber or clownstep or whatever. Only much more mainstream at the moment.

Reynolds slammed and then disowned drum & bass for going down the wobble route then holds up wobble in dubstep as 'ludic' or 'hardcore'... they're exactly the same sonics used within 35 bpm of each other, so which is it?

Alfons

Way of the future
Reynolds slammed and then disowned drum & bass for going down the wobble route then holds up wobble in dubstep as 'ludic' or 'hardcore'... they're exactly the same sonics used within 35 bpm of each other, so which is it?

Not that I mean to stand up for his view but 35 bpm can still make a big difference, i.e. I like four to the floor techno at 120-135 but nosebleed gabbatechno featuring the same elements at 165 is definitely not my thing. (wobble in dnb and dubstep arguably has more in common tho).

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
TBH I'd say that using 'hardcore' as an inherently positive thing is a mistake. It's about a fanatical and generally unselfconscious dedication to a small area of endeavour (bitcrushing wobbles, writing super cheesey piano riffs, making models of salisbury cathedral out of matchsticks) which as an outsider you have to take on a case-by-case basis as totally brilliant, alright for the odd tune, not really my thing, entirely awful, whatever, and you have to take the view that there are more factors than "is it hardcore or not" in how something evolves.

And yeah, I'd say that clownstep and wobble both work as hardcore scenes, and in both cases I find it interesting to listen to the odd tune out of context but get bored after hearing a couple and in the broad scale of things am pissed off that they largely supplanted something much more interesting - a much more interesting brand of hardcore, arguably...

gremino

Moster Sirphine
Wobble is kind of hardcore, but I think it's not right to compare it to '92 hardcore, as it was funky, had thousands of ideas in one track and dozens of influences from other music (being black (breakbeats and sub) and white (belgian hoovers and orchestra stabs) at the same time), whereas wobble isn't funky, has only one idea per track and hasn't very much influences from outside.

ether

sonically wobble seems to share a lot in common with idm it has that same faux broken 'arn't we mental' aural aesthetic, the choppiness and constant need to create and destroy any momentum/continuity. it celebrates an aural aethetic like 'glitch' over mood or any reflective emotional response a listener may have. I guess its the result of dub-steps focus on the physical effects of music.

It's weird that their art really any repetitive beats in wobble which sets it apart from nearly all dance music. But It strikes me theres some binary qualites to it, lots of agressive frantic sections followed by silence. When I've heard this music played in clubs, It creates a preety unique atmosphere. Its kind of jerky anti-dance music.

wobble kind of works on a mono-emotional level and seems to want for no emotional maturity in the listener, its kind of nihilistic. I can imagine kids love it.

minikomi

pu1.pu2.wav.noi
Love the first comment on the video once you go to youtube:

rusko is becoming a wanker!!
ScrottyWanka 1 hour ago

:p

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
That Rusko clip up there is a joke. So basically what he's saying is that brostep was only good when he thought it was. You can't have your cake and eat it too, pal.