Terry Riley - In C

woops

is not like other people
which other minimalist would play in a blues band? none would. to do so would impugn their -istic seriousness.
House of Anthrax is the Ides of March plus b-sides and I mean that in the best possible way.

zhao

there are no accidents
which other minimalist would play in a blues band? none would. to do so would impugn their -istic seriousness.

but the most serious of all of them had an awesome blues band:

la monte young and the forever bad blues band - Just Stompin live at the kitchen

328132.jpg

and i love this recording too. hour long blues jams in just. drums and bass kick in after 15 minutes of the first disc, during which it's just Young's piano... far out bitchin' ass shit man.

Logos

Ghosts of my life
Alex Ross - only half in jest I think - said something like "the best version of In C is the one your local ensemble is putting on".

I like the recording of the 1968 performance on Sony.

Last edited:

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
We saw Steve Reich at the QEH recently and in the kind of talky session later he made an interesting comment about how a lot of people thought it was very radical for the minimalists to be opening the door between the concert hall and the street (his phrase), but to them it seemed like the unusual thing was that for the previous fifty to a hundred years of "serious music" - Wagner through the Second Viennese School to Stockhausen and Boulez - the door had been temporarily shut.

Not directly relevant, but kind of interesting...

woops

is not like other people
It reminds me of an interview I once read with the guitarist from AMM
Speculating about musicians in history, let's say the Middle Ages.
Did they drift off into free playing or not? He thought they did
Keith Rowe

Woebot

Also, of course, The Church of Anthrax collaboration with John Cale
JohnCaleChurchOfAnthrax.jpg

yeah that's definitely worth mentioning but i never dug that record. the nice track is that short "The Soul Of Patrick Lee" the one with that (edit: not) welsh singer who is obviously some kind of doppleganger employed by cale before he had the confidence to sing himself. lovely tune that.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Last edited:

BareBones

wheezy
no one has mentioned "descending moonshine dervishes", that's my fav.
i like the poppy nogood stuff also

rainbow in curved air was on the radios in GTA 4, on that station that also played jean michel jarre and stuff.

zhao

there are no accidents
yeah, as massrock said, this is great: 20-minute version of an obscure r&b track. the double-cd i have on organ of corti also contains "poppy nogood" 10pm november 17, 1967.

yes, that is the semi conceptual prank remix. which is not the same thing at all as Poppy Nogood and the All Night Flight, which is entirely cut up saxophone tape loop action...

Last edited:

BareBones

wheezy
yeah and on the back of the sleeve (or maybe inside, i can't remember) it has this wicked photo of him surrounded by synths, and a brilliantly confusing explanation of how he created the piece etc

mms

sometimes
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

special

Leo

5) Les Yeux Fermees

just got this, a dual-soundtrack (w/ "Lifespan") remastered reissue on elision fields from 2007, really cool stuff. dreamy, warm, kind of prog...roots of oneohtrix point never, in a way. thanks for the suggestion.