crackerjack

Did Tyldesley just say Harman's goal at Wembley in the 1-0 win put England out of the 2002 WC?

His brain only had room for That Balmy Night in Barcelona, he's forgotten about this

grizzleb

Yes! So glad that Germany and Ghana went through, the two most entertaining sides in that group. That game was a belter as predicted.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Did Tyldesley just say Harman's goal at Wembley in the 1-0 win put England out of the 2002 WC?

His brain only had room for That Balmy Night in Barcelona, he's forgotten about this

If it hadn't been for THAT NIGHT in Barcelona, that game would never have even happened, because football would have ended in May 1999.

So Ghana play the US, and then the winners of Uruguay/SK - yep, that seems like the easiest ride you could hope for to a World Cup semi. Can't see them getting past Uruguay though. There will be one unlikely semi-finalist, whatever happens though.

Second round looks cracking already, and with probable Holland-Italy and possible Spain-Portugal/Brazil, gonna just get better.

computer_rock

ashley cole is looking really fucking sharp at the moment - that's about the only thing that gives me confidence going into the game on sunady

well that and this i guess...
4154ba441b808effd456ddf42165cafd8494f750.gif

mrfaucet

The Ideas Train
More importantly, are the BBC showing it and are England wearing red?

The attempted block is fantastic. Predictably there is already a facebook group dedicated to it.

Also, anyone else agree that the highlights on the BBC site are quite poor? Basically no replays and the highlights don't even seem that extensive. I only got to listen to the game on the radio so would like to see replays of a few things like Rooney's chance and Upson's tackle but the BBC highlights didn't show them (realise I can probably find them on Youtube but it would be more convenient and there's no reason why they couldn't include them).

Last edited:

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
The attempted block is fantastic. Predictably there is already a facebook group dedicated to it.

Also, anyone else agree that the highlights on the BBC site are quite poor? Basically no replays and the highlights don't even seem that extensive. I only got to listen to the game on the radio so would like to see replays of a few things like Rooney's chance and Upson's tackle but the BBC highlights didn't show them (realise I can probably find them on Youtube but it would be more convenient and there's no reason why they couldn't include them).

In the pub I was in, Terry's face dive got a bigger cheer/jeer than almost anything else. The sheer desperation of the England defending was hilariouswhenever Slovenia got near the box. Effective, but totally dignity-destroying.

I think the BBC Match of the Day highlights are usually alright. Weird that they should fall short for an England match. Rooney's scuffed shot onto the post wasn't all that great, rest assured, although IIRC, the save was.

hucks

Your Message Here
In the pub I was in, Terry's face dive got a bigger cheer/jeer than almost anything else. The sheer desperation of the England defending was hilarious whenever Slovenia got near the box. Effective, but totally dignity-destroying.

It's not dignity destroying - it's hugely exciting! And from a player's personal perspective, very satisfying. See also Lahm v Ghana last night. And Upson's tackle in injury time was just a very, very good tackle.

In England we do, tho, appreciate the last ditch block much more than in other countries. Conversely, we disdain things such as positioning and reading the game that make a last ditch block unnecessary.

Last edited:

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
It's completely dignity destroying*, which is why it's so exciting! Reminds me of me diving round a squash court to save a point, cos I'm too rubbish to be in the right place at the right time.

*in a manner of speaking - what I mean is that the calm veneer of 'we've got this all under control' is so hilariously exposed, and the desperation to not 'let England down' against a tiny nation few in England knew anything about before the World Cup draw, in itself is hysterical. England really are shite, but yesterday it was charming, because they showed they actually cared, in a rather desperate, rubbish way. Aww.

Last edited:

crackerjack

Incidentally Kevin-Prince Boateng was brilliant* last night, I thought. what's his story? How come he's only at Pompey?

*it's possible he wasn't as good as I thought, cos i only twigged near the end that were two Boatengs - brothers, in fact - in Ghana's team. But he was at least, ooh, very, very good.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
What I Done On My Holidays

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

crackerjack

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

are you the cameraman or the guy with the tash?