Enough of sea sick synths

Status
Not open for further replies.

juanroberto

Reprezenting the Latinos
can i just point out to anyone who hasn't noticed that tom, er, 'wins' this thread hands down, because he managed to use a song title which is the flip of 'black sun', and is therefore punning on another level altogether :cool:

@juanroberto fair, lol

if i said there were ¨tom¨many people on this board right now would you be loving me 222222222222222222222222222

:D:eek::slanted::confused::(:):mad::mad::p;):eek::cool::rolleyes:

juanroberto

Reprezenting the Latinos
i still don´t know what the whole troll thing means. if i was irish i would think it was racist but my latino self knows it´suomething DEEEEEPPPPP

Danhacox where you at_ explain yo´self motha´

Richard Carnage

Judith Donath quote from Wiki: "...in a group that has become sensitized to trolling — where the rate of deception is high — many honestly naïve questions may be quickly rejected as trollings. This can be quite off-putting to the new user who upon venturing a first posting is immediately bombarded with angry accusations. Even if the accusation is unfounded, being branded a troll is quite damaging to one's online reputation."

Let bygones be bygones, eh lads?

Blackdown

nexKeysound
"using non-seasick/wonky synths is what makes much of the dullest of dub techno, liquid d&b, chill out etc so safe and dull."

this right here is one of the most absurd statements i've ever read...

so , if for example we were to look at a totally stock, derivative dub techno tune ..... the reason for it being "safe and dull" is down to it not employing production techniques that you personally feel are where its at right now... .... and nothing to do with the fact that said stock dub techno tune is merely a poorly executed rip off... ? or the fact that the very notion of an entire genre dedicated to ripping on basic channel is pathetic? or that rhythmically, the average BC rip off is totally feeble..... ??? errr oh wait if we just crowbar in a zomby esque synth spazz sound over the top it would suddenly be totally edgy and not dull?? forget the fact that such synthwork would sound horribly jarring over the genres you mentioned.:slanted::slanted::slanted::slanted::slanted:

...i'd argue that using sounds that are being hammered by everyone and their dog just dates a piece of music massivley....

what is a "non wonky synth" anyway?? after i route the LFO to pitch.. should i make a point of making sure said modulation is up past 50% ??? is tha wonky enough? i am so baffled.... unstable/pitch bent/heavily modulated/neon/weeping synth work has been and still is present in so much music beyond your little dubstep/grime/rinse fm /fwd bubble.... and not nesc in a good way either;ironically enough i can think of shitloads of dull as dishwater tech house tunes that employ claude von stroke style pitch bent bleepy bloopy leads, out of time percussion and detuned synth washes,,...

what about loveless by my bloody valentine... lots of discordant yet lush sounds swirling around on that LP... is it wonky??

i hate this term so much. at least "sea sick synth" is a more specific term... referring to pitch modulation//.... and not some sort of made up nonsense genre.... uuuughhh...

what a dickhead answer, this is my bubble and i'm fucking happy in it but you're chatting air. i didn't claim to present an exhaustive critique of why dull dub techno is often dull, i merely suggested one reason. thankfully you were on hand to supply a bunch of other reasons, which only helped to reinforce my point as to why derivative areas of genres are indeed derivative.

because if someone did try and 'crowbar' an interesting synth into a derivative dub techno tune, at least it would be more than the sum of its parts or perhaps sole part ie BC. at least there might be an outside chance of finding something more interesting than poor parody.

when you ask 'what is a "non wonky synth" anyway' it makes me think you dont get it, that you dont see that producers moving their sounds between the standard integers and trying to find different tones and harmonies/dis-harmonies that are enjoyable can only be a productive thing - even in claude von stroke records - rather than just following what the technology dictates and keeping everything in (western, standard) keys and intervals. it opens up a whole world of possibilities rather than narrowing it down to a familiar few.

you have some bee in your bonnet about fashion but this is the nature of scenes, they collectively grow and move in relation to each other, so some overlap with happen but equally where producers define themselves against local norms rather than with, the opposite can occurs. either way scenes, through sharing current ideas, do often have a time... and that isn't a bad thing.

"not some sort of made up nonsense genre". go read the facts before you chat any more shit using the word "genre." hint: the clue's in the first sentence.

gumdrops

kfc is more influential on modern uk music than seasick synths though.
and also the music is largely more likely to be better as a result of kfc rather than seasick synths.
i mean, all the seasick dubstep/house/techno is cool and everything, but grime synths overall were better, had better melodies, and were just a lot more exciting. and seeing as grime was more about kfc and its derivatives than seasick synths, kfc is ultimately more beneficial to uk dance music. i bet if you interviewed producers and djs about which was better, most would say kfc.

juanroberto

Reprezenting the Latinos
kfc is more influential on modern uk music than seasick synths though.
and also the music is largely more likely to be better as a result of kfc rather than seasick synths.
i mean, all the seasick dubstep/house/techno is cool and everything, but grime synths overall were better, had better melodies, and were just a lot more exciting. and seeing as grime was more about kfc and its derivatives than seasick synths, kfc is ultimately more beneficial to uk dance music. i bet if you interviewed producers and djs about which was better, most would say kfc.

let's all go to kfc in brixton and make up

juanroberto

Reprezenting the Latinos
it's whassit name isnt it? the new zealand guy, dubmugga. he's gone his alias tighter this time tho. all these UK references have thrown people off his scent.

(sighs)

????? people thinking i'm not a real person is perhaps the biggest insult i've ever had.

juanroberto

Reprezenting the Latinos
cd bought at sister ray on poland street. i'm not from new zealand, my parents are ecuadorian but i've lived in E+C all my life

massrock

Silver Apples' oscillators through telegraph switches is more rip-roaringly primitive than anything as bourgeois as a synthesiser.

Status
Not open for further replies.