hip hop '10

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Waka-Flocka-Flockaveli.jpg

Anybody listened to this? Lyrically terrible and almost every track sounds near-identical but I do quite like the hyper-aggressiveness of the production. It's basically a constant barrage of 808s gunshots and rattling hi hats. Not really sure if its something I could listen to the whole way through, though.

Was going to ask - is this production style related to/the same thing as Hyphy? And 'Trap Rap' = a type of rap music or just referring to the slang Gucci etal use?

Last edited:

stephenk

oh man, i can definitely listen to that waka all the way through...in fact it's become my new cooking soundtrack...it's part of that grand tradition of rambunctious fighting-in-the-club southern rap. it isn't clever or anything, but that's not the point.

hyphy is (err, was?) different, sparser. i stopped paying much attention to it when i stopped living on the west coast, but i always think of this one as a hallmark of the style.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

OK, this is old, but still, a beautiful instrumental. Heard it on the cloud rap tape, and it fits in sublimely.

Bloody hell, it's lifted wholesale from Morcheeba. A Dido moment. When did it become okay to sample huge chunks of songs again, btw?

luka

i like black milk. does anyone else like his beats? his album dropped this year. one with danny brown.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
i like black milk. does anyone else like his beats? his album dropped this year. one with danny brown.

he's fecking amazing - I'm sure there must have been a thread/partial thread on him here somewhere. 'Shut It Down' is one of my favourite hip hop tracks of the decade. I prefer him to Dilla, though obviously that's a minority opinion.

Must get that new album....

BareBones

wheezy
so gutted about that OFWGKTA show tonight. only found about it a couple of days ago. can't remember the last time i wanted to go to a gig so much.

grave

I'm pretty sure it only went on sale 2 days ago, I just happened to see the flyer yesterday when it was too late. The Drop is a tiny venue as well, so you probably won't get to see them somewhere like that again if they blow up (as I imagine they will)

The fact it's under one of my local pubs make me feel as though I have a right to go regardless of whether or not it's sold out.

cobretti

[-] :: [-] ~ [-] :: [-]
Did anyone else make it to one of Big Boi's shows last week? I know Paolo was at the Glasgow gig. They had only sold about 150 tickets so it was moved to the bar upstairs in the Academy, which in my opinion made for a far superior gig. The sound wasn't perfect but Big Boi didn't miss a beat and you could make out most of the lyrics. I'd say the show was about half Outkast classics and half solo material, he played Shine Blockas, For Yo Sorrows, General Patton, Shutterbugg, Daddy Fat Sax, You Ain't No DJ.... Pretty much all of Sir Lucious Left Foot to be honest. He also performed Kryptonite with C Bone, who was the hype man for the evening, and also did a couple of his own tracks which were pretty lame compared to the onslaught of Outkast material at the beginning and the constant stream of bangers from Big Boi's album.

Great gig though, really glad I went.

paolo

Mechanical phantoms
Yeah I had fun, sound was a bit weak but the show was good. I wasn't sure if BB would be able to do justice to either his own or Outkast's material live because there's usually other MCs involved (and Andre 3000 with Outkast stuff obviously) but he just about managed it.

outraygeous

My mate went. Apparently it was mostly them shouting over their tunes and starting mosh pits.

Yeah I was there, sets from XL man and I think Jamie XX but i dont know his boat.

Anyway yeah they pretty much just rapped over the vocals of their tracks.

The mosh pits were mad, they jumped in and had a shove. Best show ive seen all year, but i aint seen many.

And for i think their 3rd or 4th live show ever they have their game down tight.

luka

this is the biggest hip hop record in australia right now. please dont groan and dismiss this, its actually real hard... the video is nice too. its by a lebanese australian guy called raed. look out from him. first hiphop from australia to actually sound good.

outraygeous

this is the biggest hip hop record in australia right now. please dont groan and dismiss this, its actually real hard... the video is nice too. its by a lebanese australian guy called raed. look out from him. first hiphop from australia to actually sound good.

Banger