Where to live in London?

Leo

the essence of every "where to live" discussion: everyone always thinks everywhere used to be better than it is now. :D

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
can you elaborate a bit baboon? i'm assuming you mean it's lost some of its community feel? things change so quickly it's hard to keep track. someone back there saying there's a good buzz about tottenham yet i've a mate from west belfast who scoffed at the idea of even going there. it can be confusing for someone who hasn't lived there before. Obviously i want somewhere accessible til late and cheap (around 400pm would be nice), good mix of people, a good range of cheap places to eat would be great and nice pubs..i'm not put off by "dodgy" areas. what about Stepney Green, Brockley, Forest Hill?

While Leo is definitely right, then I think in Brixton's case it's getting pretty undeniable. Obviously Foxtons opening their first branch in a neighbourhood is a pretty massive clue as to what's happening, but even before I left two years back, it was becoming steadily gentrified (where gentrification to me means, at least in part, opening services that exclude through price and design large swathes of the community, rather than the good kind of modernisation that improves existing services/opens things up to more people).

Brixton used to be 400pm territory - couldn't say for sure but I very much doubt it now. As to Tottenham, don't be put off -first of all it's a pretty large and diverse place. I personally think Haringey around Green Lanes is a good area (and I think Mr Tea among others would back me up here) - going from your desiderata (is that the right word?), loads of cheap food, great pubs, genuine diversity (as in, unlike Brixton, different kinds of people to be found inside places, sharing space and not just on the street), good access to most places including central (it's on the Piccadilly line, goes straight to Holborn). I've never shared a house there, so not sure what costs there would be for that, but I think it would be reasonable.

@luka - Tooting is really nice, but I'd never ever live on the northern line (if I needed to take the tube). Hellish in the morning.

Last edited:

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
Harringay Green Lanes is a great area, although it tends towards friendly and respectable rather than buzzing and edgey. There are useful night buses for going out but you haven't got club nights on your doorstep like you would have in Brixton or Dalston or somewhere. I remember a lot of early morning schleps along City Road to get back to the 341 route.

Everything else about it is great, though.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Equally, if you wanna go out in Dalston/anywhere along the A10, it's fairly easy to get to from there

Stamford Hill is actually quite nice too, thinking about that road.

john eden

male pale and stale
I've just got maself a job, working beside Holborn station but have been looking into Brixton for flatsharing.. anyone here lived there? any info appreciated

Would recommend the Urban 75 forums for Brixton info.

Still a Green Lanes / Stamford Hill loyalist myself.

But Tottenham/Walthamstow are cool too and cheaper.

benjybars

village elder.
why would you live anywhere apart from Haringey?

the only acceptable alternative is somewhere around Deptford.

Deptford High Street and Green Lanes are the only proper streets in London. fact.

sufi

lala
Has anyone ever lived in the area north-west of Turnpike Lane - Alex Palace, Bounds Green etc?
I fled unreasonable rent in brixton C2006 (according to this thread!), then left a wake of suspiciously high leccy bills in ganja smelling dodgy sub-lets in Dalston a few years later towards ...
  • Sunny Palmers Green
beloved of staunchly suburban Stevey Smith it's a good area, well far from anywhere, but with a villagey high street (masses of charity shops & few chains), accessible allotments & decrepit green spaces
unaware of it's own ironies,
& of course green lanes right through the middle, also New river and the tory mega-brutalism of North Circular, with it's IDP squatter settlements sheltering beneath.
surrounding areas are interesting too - north into pleasantly leafy greater enfield, southgate & so on, east towards edmonton, which is i reckon even more apocalyptic than peckham

Last edited:
Appreciate this info everyone.

I saw that stuff about foxton's and read up on it on that urban75 forum, they do seem like greedy cunts. i'm still gonna try and line up a view viewings in brixton.

i stayed up around finsbury park, manor house area last week and i liked it. i'll check around green lanes too. everyone tells me their area is the best! rep your ends etc.

viktorvaughn

My sister's in Walthamstow and loves it. Enough gentrification for decent coffee and a few places to eat, some nice pubs (The Broadies one is near by) but not loads of nobheads. Good transport links and hackney a 15 min cycle away for weekend pottering.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Ah, I was just thinking "Lol, where do you live, Bel-...", and then looked at your location.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
what price range are you looking at Shiels? You might have said upthread but my bleary eyes this morning can't find it

benjybars

village elder.
Any views on N17 around Bruce grove Tottenham?

yeah man tottenham high street is quality

bit dodgy at night maybe but just cycle everywhere and you'll be fine. probably.

i lost my virginity in N17 so will always have a special place in my heart..

sufi

lala
yeah i'd also say Bruce Grove is not so bad (edmonton is a lot worse in terms of hopeless deprivation and poverty. urban desolation etc)
it has a castle, and some nice old buildings, it's own strong identity, & isn't dominated by chain stores, quick trains to hackney and liverpool st for your hipster moments & easy access to green lanes on the w4 hail & rude country bus

Any views on N17 around Bruce grove Tottenham?

Someone from Bruce Grove tried to rob me last night, out here in Groningen. He got up close, had phone in his hand in my pocket but I somehow managed to knock it out of his hand and catch it. Luckily, no knife or gun involved and my phone has no password and all my logins, so this was a close escape.