padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
didnt escobar have a cycling team?
no, but his brother was - amazingly - a professional cyclist, who after he retired opened a bicycle company funded by Pablo

a lot of current and former Colombian pros have pretty wild back stories of one kind or another, compared to yr typical European pro at least

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
funding professional cycling teams or races is pretty much always a write-off, it's not a profitable sport

(the only real exception is the Tour de France, which is way it's such a huge deal for sponsors to get their teams invited)

so you mostly wind up with billionaire cycling enthusiasts and shady governments

it's not that different from professional sports in general, just more overt since the sums are comparatively mickey mouse

luka

it starts with a team training in the mountains there and a local kid causally overtaking them on a bike made out of a rubbish bin. thats when they knew there was talent to be mined in those hills

I’m not a very big Ballard fan, but I do like him.

That little clutch of essays I wrote between 2011-13 was heavily influenced in theme and style by Fouad Ajami. Probably nobody else can see that, but it seems so obvious to me now.

you get why I asked. I just read the first one, really great. All alien to me these worlds

I mean I know nobody outside Putin, none of the companies, city names. My brain doesn’t work like that

luka

Off topic: I feel like 'right wing MILFs' could be the name of the first dissensus zine

id love to see shiels do a portrait series. hes got the right drawing style. very earnest. 10 pencil portraits of prominent right wing milfs

catalog

I liked that portrait you did of your mate, had that photo real quality but something else to it as welll

They were both made within a couple of days because I was in the mood, I don’t have a style. But Lukas comment stung so much im gonna go develop one, really dramatic

version

Palin was Bannon's trial run for Trump. He said he'd been casting about for a figurehead for years and thought he'd found one in her. He even made a film...

Last edited:
Its a beautifully pitched insult, seems innocuous on the surface but the subtext is: you really tried, and really failed.

version

There's an old Gawker piece by some guy who claimed to have had a one-night stand with Christine O'Donnell. She sounds a bit weird and I don't like her politics, but the article comes off as mean-spirited and sexist.

Leo

there's a new Melania biography out, apparently she and Ivanka have always been cold to one another. figures, competitors for daddy Donald's attention. doesn't help that don once admitted he wishes he could date his daughter.

my money would be on Melania, that steely glare, the assassin's death stare. Ivanka's just a spoiled rich girl, she'd get crushed.

Last edited: