Suspiria: Dalston Rio, 16 October

STN

sou'wester
I can't upload the image of the flier for some reason, but my friends at Cigarette Burns (http://www.cigaretteburnscinema.com/) are playing on the uncut version of Suspiria at the Rio on Saturday, 11:30. I think it will be wicked:

"Cigarette Burns Cinema is continuing its partnership with Dalston's Rio Cinema and together we are bringing you none other than one of the creepiest films ever made. Just how it needs to be seen, fully uncut, bold, disconcerting and LOUD – SUSPIRIA. This tale of an innocent American ballet student who unwittingly unravels the terrifying secret of her new school is routinely cited as one of the all time scariest horror films and is solely responsible for cementing Dario Argento's place in cinematic history. Suspiria is an undeniably visceral experience, assaulting, not only your eyes, but your ears as well. We can't thing of a better way to spend a cold, dark October night than to let Goblin's super eerie soundtrack creep into your brain as Argento drenches the screen with his dreamlike technicolour palette. Flashback Record's very own Graham Murphy will be spinning Italian Doomy Prog and Kraut Rock to set the mood before and after the screening and the Rio Cinema has been kind enough to leave the bar open throughout the film and after, a brilliant night is guaranteed. All for a measly £7."

IdleRich

IdleRich
I'd like to go to this but unfortunately I'm busy - there are gonna be more of these things though right?
Do you know a guy called Josh?

STN

sou'wester
rich - yep and yep.
gums - hmmm, not sure, I'll get back to you on that, hopefully tonight.

STN

sou'wester
Bump. This Saturday.

I'll be there, and as discussed, I am a foxy nineteen-year-old cheerleader so there's an incentive to come along.

john eden

male pale and stale
suspiria.gif

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Certainly one of the best films ever made, cinematically speaking.

Is the uncut version rare then? How much has been added? Tempted to go...

STN

sou'wester
Haven't a clue how much has been added - daresay craner or rich would know. For me the appeal is big-screen more than uncut.

gumdrops

really wanna come to this, will depend on whether i can tempt my date into seeing something that might make her sleep with the light on the whole week.

craner

Beast of Burden
As far as I know, Argento remastered Suspiria so the colours were even brighter and sharper, and the music clearer and louder, so it would look and sound -- on a big screen with Dolby, I suspect -- overwhelming. I don't know about additions -- all I know is that the director's cut of Deep Red ruined it, the pace and tone destroyed by meandering, stiff, banal "comedy" interludes between Daria Nicolodi and David Hemmings (I still prefer the dubbed UK cut, which is quite streamlined and preserves Hemmings' adorably plummy performance) and so you're probably better off without Argento's out takes.

However, I can't think of a better way to spend a cold, dark October evening than going out to watch Suspiria and if I lived anywhere near London right now, I'd be there like a shot. Late Autumn is certainly THE season for Italo-horror and gialli -- always the right atmosphere.

Last edited:

STN

sou'wester
Grand, one of their previous showings was Hausu, which I believe is whence your avatar came?

Dissensians, look out for me. I am utterly non-descript but slightly taller than most people.

4linehaiku

Repetitive
Yeah that's the one. Not totally convinced by the film as a whole, but the evil Snowflake painting is pretty dazzling.

I am also slightly taller than average so maybe I'll see you over the heads of all the plebs.

4linehaiku

Repetitive
Could have done with a bit less of the crap introduction guy (apologies if that was your friend STN), but overall this was a lot of fun. Excellent seeing / hearing it on a big screen.