is saying "i'm into world music" a good enough reason for me to dislike someone

stelfox said:
the same goes for the person who said he liked some reggaeton, but preferred the stuff that sounded like "proper" salsa!

Is this meant to imply that reggaeton is some type of salsa? It's not "improper salsa," it's not salsa at all (unless you're using salsa to mean pretty much any type of Latin music, but most people who are salsa dancers don't use it that way).

But anyway, it shouldn't be a surprise that someone who likes salsa might prefer reggaeton that resembles or references it even a little bit, more than reggaeton that doesn't.

(Don't worry stelfox, I'm not planning on sticking around. Despite having some idea of what areas of music this board emphasized, it's much more narrowly focused (which is fine) than I'd realized. It might be good to clue people in to that either in the FAQ or as part of the name, or something.)

steve-k

Stelfox knows what reggaeton is and how it is completely different from salsa. He just seems to have lost his patience with those who don't know the difference, and with those who say they like 'world music' but don't listen to programmed beat-driven genres like dancehall or reggaeton.

Rudy, don't let him scare you away. Not everyone's an expert. Stelfox seems to have forgotten that there are many people out there who would probably see reggaeton, dancehall, and 'world music' as gibberish terms that mean nothing to them.

stelfox

Beast of Burden
steve, please don't lecture me on how to behave. that comment was actually aimed elsewhere. i thought the entire thread was becoming a bit of a mess and hadn't really got anywhere. it wasn't directed to any individual. it was a bit facetious, but then again so is everything i've said here. anyway, now you've made your feelings perfectly (and rather pompously) clear, and i hope you feel better for it.

Last edited: