Go on then.. who's the best UK MC?

trilliam

suck ur mum luka

Best UK MC has to come out of reggae. In fact, Id say the best MC EVER must come from reggae. I dont think any other genre can match it for overall vocal quality, lyrics, inventiveness, flow and ability

only thing that comes close is US hip hop

clearly talking about mic skills only and what mic skills shud be judged on

There's barely a handful of grime MC's that would have made it onto the wings of the stage at a dancehall gig anytime in the 80's or 90's, and as for road rap vs US hip hop? Where is the UK's Rakim, Chuck D, Guru, Busta or Dirty?

lol. Come back to me in 20 years when grime has produced more than a handful of world class MC's.

now talking about history not just mic skills, changing goalposts is always a sign of a FAILED argument

droid if u can just answer my original post ill let this be

what separates us hip from road rap? technique, subject matter, style, all interchangeable really and truly

the criteria you listed there is pretty subjective, inventiveness? vocal quality?

is it harder to ride a slow reggae beat or a skippy 130 production and sit on it like it is a slow reggae beat?

anyway in terms of flow, rhyme structure, lyrics i dont think it's close, ability wise we're talking about different leagues here unless you wanna say sugarhill gang is the pinnacle of rapping

there's certain things dancehall mcs have over grime mcs/rappers most notably stage presence because they're more performers than spitters, i wouldn't even lump delivery in with stage presence so yeah thats it

not to minimise their contribution to uk music or whatever but in terms of technique that shit is pretty much stone age and you could never convince me otherwise, much less that the best uk mc comes from reggae sorry

/

please try and address everything rather than just focusing on one thing and dismissing the other relevant shit

and before u try strawman my argument into some technique is not the be all and end all def jux bs ill elaborate further

certain things r a given, of course rappers are gonna be on beat (hopefully) and of course they're gonna have lyrics and if they're lucky a nice delivery/"vocal presence"

once u get past these things u're gonna have to break them down further if you really wanna compare them unless you just wanna say boom everythings subjective no debate to be had

so to say that a reggae mc from the eighties who is really and truly only gonna have at best a strong delivery, strong charisma and medium lyrics

is better than an mc from the here and now who is either more well rounded or has the same level of delivery charisma and better lyrics

thats nonsense

further more wtf is ABILITY if not total rap tekkers

/

sneakbo pisses all over chuck d despite chuck having arguably (not imo) better "lyrics" (message)

luka suck ur mum

Last edited:

trilliam

guys r talkin down on technique like it aint the reason kool g, lord finesse, big daddy kane an them man there are so heavily celebrated/respected

good vocal presence, delivery an being on beat these are the foundations aka the BASICS

luka

Sassy attitude, youthful fizz, some street slang. It's a good package. Keep polishing the asap yams tumblr lyrics. U could get a lot of followers and be big in the tumblr game tbh.

droid

so to say that a reggae mc from the eighties who is really and truly only gonna have at best a strong delivery, strong charisma and medium lyrics

is better than an mc from the here and now who is either more well rounded or has the same level of delivery charisma and better lyrics

Y'see, here's your problem, if youre making claims like that then you know nothing about dancehall. Youve obviously never heard Papa San, Lieutenant Stitchie, Ninjaman, Supercat, Cutty ranks, Tonto Irie, Charlie Chaplin, Major Worries, Brigadier Jerry, Yellowman, Tippa Irie, Papa Levi, Admiral bailey, Chaka Demus, Tiger, Daddy Lilly, Tullo T, Buju Banton, Peter Metro, Shabba ranks, Major Mackerel, Bounty Killer, Bunny General... the dozens, if not hundreds of top class Jamaican MC's who exhibit every conceivable variety and combination of qualities.

Make an argument for grime or road rap or whatever - thats fine, but don't cast aspersions on the competition when you clearly dont know anything about them.

trilliam

Sassy attitude, youthful fizz, some street slang. It's a good package. Keep polishing the asap yams tumblr lyrics. U could get a lot of followers and be big in the tumblr game tbh.

lol u think growing up in east and helpings wileys mum with her shopping or some shit gives ur opinion weight bro? are u a somebody? what game r u big in?

shout to asap yams stil n thanks for the support, i'd pree your blog but its on private :rolleyes:

Y'see, here's your problem, if youre making claims like that then you know nothing about dancehall. Youve obviously never heard Papa San, Lieutenant Stitchie, Ninjaman, Supercat, Cutty ranks, Tonto Irie, Charlie Chaplin, Major Worries, Brigadier Jerry, Yellowman, Tippa Irie, Papa Levi, Admiral bailey, Chaka Demus, Tiger, Daddy Lilly, Tullo T, Buju Banton, Peter Metro, Shabba ranks, Major Mackerel, Bounty Killer, Bunny General... the dozens, if not hundreds of top class Jamaican MC's who exhibit every conceivable variety and combination of qualities.

Make an argument for grime or road rap or whatever - thats fine, but don't cast aspersions on the competition when you clearly dont know anything about them.

u're 100 percent right, apart from the bait names i dont know anyone on that list, normally i would agree with you on this if you dont know dont talk angle but rapping is rapping and lyrics are lyrics and i refuse to believe that what certain rappers cant even do today a sizeable portion of reggae was doing in the late 80s. we're talking about advanced tekkers here. fair enough they might do everything better than ive given credit for but even without doing the research im almost 100 percent sure i would not hear an artist that can rap to the standard of say a vado, a mafia, ghetts kinda guy

if im wrong tell me who is the BEST

actually scratch that cause i know im not wrong already, this is why i may seem "moody, angry and confused"

droid

l
u're 100 percent right, apart from the bait names i dont know anyone on that list, normally i would agree with you on this if you dont know dont talk angle but rapping is rapping and lyrics are lyrics and i refuse to believe that what certain rappers cant even do today a sizeable portion of reggae was doing in the late 80s. we're talking about advanced tekkers here. fair enough they might do everything better than ive given credit for but even without doing the research im almost 100 percent sure i would not hear an artist that can rap to the standard of say a vado, a mafia, ghetts kinda guy

actually scratch that cause i know im not wrong already, this is why i may seem "moody, angry and confused"

Right, so basically youre saying that you dont know anything about the FOUNDATION and most prolific exponents of all MC led music and you think you're in a position to judge anything?

Get the fuck back to school.

droid

"Mic and equaliser are the Deejay tool, and people come a dance like children going to school..."

Last edited:

trilliam

"Mic and equaliser are the Deejay tool, and people come a dance like children going to school..."

wtf is this nursery rhyme education for the nation shit, we talking about rapping/spitting whatever u wanna call it at a high level, being the best uk mc of all the time, going on the criteria YOU put forward and then you post this shit ??

is that the answer to this ?

im almost 100 percent sure i would not hear an artist that can rap to the standard of say a vado, a mafia, ghetts kinda guy

this is the most important issue at the end of the day because im saying they cant you're saying they can all this other shit is periphery put up or shut up

Well you're in for some good times, then.

why u misquoting like some nancy

Right, so basically youre saying that you dont know anything about the FOUNDATION and most prolific exponents of all MC led music and you think you're in a position to judge anything?

Get the fuck back to school.

most prolific exponents of all mc led music? why?

in any case yes thats what im saying, stop using it at as a crutch, their shit is BASIC. we not talking about soundsystems, cutting dubs, touring europe or any of that other shit.

LYRICS. FLOW. BARS where are they ?

droid

in any case yes thats what im saying, stop using it at as a crutch, their shit is BASIC.

Lol. How do you know? Come back when youve educated yourself and are qualified to chat cos all I hear is ignorance.

Last edited:

trilliam

Lol. How do you know? Come back when youve educated yourself and are qualified to chat cos all I hear is ignorance.

i know cause you wont answer the question, you keep avoiding it n that tells me that you aint got an answer because there is no reggae equivalent therefore what research do i need to do?

trilliam

listening to them two tracks you posted, the lyrics and the flow, BASIC. sure they might be some good messages in there, some positive thoughts and probably what u would call astute social commentary (basic observations) but that dont change the fact that to most people writing bars in 2015 this is CHILDS PLAY. ninjaman murder dem is playing now cause of the autoplay feature on youtube now. basic.

if there is anyone who truly believes the best uk mc ever comes from this scene then please stand and be counted

comparing these mcs to todays is like kurtis blow to camron, keystage 3 to a levels etc the craft has moved on

CrowleyHead

if it were, Def Jux would be the best hip hop label of all time.

HELL NO.

but I can concede to mistaking who's argument was where. I'd still contest that in the context of most classic dancehall vocalists Freddy's sub-par at even that and when he attempts cross-generational tracks well, there's not much good there. Different tastes and all that.

@luka; furthermore! Lambert, Hendricks & Ross is actually my dad's record taste! I just feel weird at people in their 30s using stuff my dad in his 40s uses as lexicons of rap taste (though the only dancehall he'd ever listen to would be Supercat & Shabba).

trilliam

i didnt even wanna get into that def jux angle because its stinks of missing every subtlety associated with rap tekkers, bare in mind i said in previous posts that delivery/charisma and all them tings are part of the parcel but the whole package is just as important, and that delivery/"vocal presence" for a on point rapper is gonna be above average anyway

getting away from aesop rock though, cage vast aire c ray walz are these guys not good rappers nah?

can u really tell me im not qualified to talk about the craft when im different rappers from different eras like lord finesse, kool g rap, a-mafia and ghetts, just because i missed out on your favorite trivia subject?

you still cant give me the reggae/dancehall equivalent of these guys so just take the l

droid

HELL NO.

but I can concede to mistaking who's argument was where. I'd still contest that in the context of most classic dancehall vocalists Freddy's sub-par at even that and when he attempts cross-generational tracks well, there's not much good there. Different tastes and all that.

Sure, and Im not actually suggesting freddy as the best MC, or even in the top tier, certainly not of dancehall, and certainly not on wax, though he has done some fantastic live sessions.

droid

can u really tell me im not qualified to talk about the craft when im different rappers from different eras like lord finesse, kool g rap, a-mafia and ghetts, just because i missed out on your favorite trivia subject?

LOL. This guy? Seriously. This is your exemplar?

Ninjaman would crush him under his heel without even noticing. Shabba would liquefy him with a single word like the horns of Jericho.

luka

It is time for you to put a name down though DROID. Cos everyone else has and we need to move the argument forward or bin it cos it's getting tired