New Jack Swing

Benny Bunter

I'll have to check that mix out, Ive been listening to this one by Murderbot that's got pretty much all the hits on it.
http://yearofmixtapes.blogspot.com/2009/06/week-5-new-jack-swing.html

Also the Wrecks and effect first LP is excellent, has a great version of Juicy on it but is otherwise a pretty straight up party time hip hop album, not much rnb in it. The breakbeats sound HUGE. People seem to usually refer to it as a Teddy Riley production but the sleevenotes only credit him with mixing it, his brother Markell gets the production credit. Either way, its highly recommended.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Heard No Diggity out last night - this is simply one of the best musics to dance to ever. Draws some of the sexiest girls too, has to be said....

Ulala

Awkward Woodward
who's gonna dare to post some Boyz II Men?

Firstly: Hello. (I did the 'big hello thread' too, but manners and such, right?)

Secondly: I'll bite...

A friend of mine schooled me in Boyz II Men last year. Most of their hits in the UK lean more towards their ballad-y, slow jam output (i.e. 'End Of The Road'), which had skewed my perception of them. Their first album, though ("Cooleyhighharmony") is pretty much the paragon of New Jack Swing - really tight, bouncy production, memorable hooks, close harmony singing, the lot. 'Sympin' (above, pretty low quality I'm afraid) is my favourite, but 'Motownphilly" runs it close:

And I haven't even touched on the co-ordinating outfits yet...

B2M aside, I bloody love New Jack Swing. The uptempo, breakbeat-driven aspect has never been revisited (despite present-day R&B being about as brisk, tempo-wise, as it's ever been) and hence it stills sounds fresh to this day. I'm sure there are more songs that I'll think of, but for now here's another one I love, partly for the ridiculous lyrics but also because it bangs:

Benny Bunter

Heard No Diggity out last night - this is simply one of the best musics to dance to ever. Draws some of the sexiest girls too, has to be said....

One of those records that everyone loves.

Only just found out about this Tupac tune with the same sample, apparently made as a diss after Dre sold the beat to Blackstreet out from under him. It actually sounds a lot more like the classic New Jack sound than No Diggity does (though not in the same league as that record obv).

Then there's this remix in the form of a cover of Billie Jean, quite an odd concept for a remix when you think about it.

Last edited:

Ulala

Awkward Woodward
Thanks Ulala, and welcome!

Aw, cheers Benny. Hucks beat me to the punch on Montell Jordan but a quick think has dredged up:

The Whitehead Brothers are the sons of the Whitehead in McFadden & Whitehead, they were on some sort of 'sensitive thug' flex. "Your Love is a 187" was the bigger hit but "Forget I Was a G" is more in keeping with the tunes posted thus far in the thread. The guitar riff in particular is ace.

I don't know much about Miss Jones (other than that her artist name makes her sound like a drama teacher, or something) but this is another cracker, big old break and wheedling high-pitched synths to the fore.

To tackle your earlier question, Benny ('New Jack Swing' (hereafter "NJS") vs 'Swingbeat'), I think NJS came first, I believe it was coined due to Teddy Riley contributing to/compiling the soundtrack of "New Jack City". "Swingbeat" followed soon after and is pretty interchangeable. I'm pretty sure the 'swing' element refers to the drums, just as we still use it in reference to garage beats - i.e. not rigid, metronomic 4/4. I don't think the 'jack' has anything to do with 'jacking' per se (cf. Steve Silk Hurley, Farley Jackmaster Funk, Reynolds Girls) - if anything, you can't jack and swing simultaneously, though I guess funky has a fairly decent stab at 4/4s crossed with 'swung' percussion.

What I find interesting is that, for many years, 'swing' was the default term for popular black music in the UK, regardless of whether it sounded akin to the tracks posted upthread or not. Compilations such as this :

"http://www.discogs.com/Various-Sisters-Of-Swing-99/release/1425740

were still coming out in 1999, but there's very few tracks on there I'd consider to be NJS as such (Missy Elliott isn't really 'swing' in my book). Just like 'urban' is today, 'swing' became a catch-all expression and hence loads of stuff got lumped in under the term, appropriately or not. Not quite sure when the change in terminology happened, early 00's I think.

Taxonomical quibbling apart, though, it's pretty clear to me that 1990-1995 is the golden age for this sort of business. If you're looking to get hold of it, charity shops are absolutely littered with stuff of this vintage on CD, you can easily get the first Blackstreet album for a quid, plus endless compilations from which good tracks can be cherry-picked. Like this, for instance, which I got off a 2xCD compilation called 'Vybin 3':

I take great pleasure in pronouncing it in a Teutonic fashion ("Kroytz") but it is actually pronounced "Cruise". As with Boyz II Men, great matching outfits.

Client Eastwood

Good bumpage Benny.

Great tune this one. Sounds like a Prince production, a lot of NJS does to me.

I can never seem to embed links but here goes a try.

(Didnt embed. Anyone help. I right click on the vid Copy embed code and paste and it never works, Im using Chrome)

Benny Bunter

Good bumpage Benny.

Great tune this one. Sounds like a Prince production, a lot of NJS does to me.

I can never seem to embed links but here goes a try.

(Didnt embed. Anyone help. I right click on the vid Copy embed code and paste and it never works, Im using Chrome)

here you go, you have to click on the wee film-strip icon in dissensus and paste the code in there. Great selections by everyone by the way! How much did that 'jungle boogie' sample get hammered back then?

MatthewH

makes strange noises.
Just wanted to pipe up to say it's somewhat shocking that New Edition hasn't been mentioned, even if its component parts have:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Edition

Bell Biv Devoe, plus Bobby Brown and Ralph Tresvant. Bobby Brown was the only one who crossed over to mainstream (white) radio over multiple albums; BBD's success was limited to just that first record. Bell Biv Devoe begat Another Bad Creation, though, who had the hilarious Iesha:

I was only slightly older than these kids when it came out - 12 or so I guess? - and I thought they were the coolest shit ever. Now that video's almost unwatchable.

They paved the way for Jodeci, who absolutely *owned* black radio in North America in the early 90s.

Devante Swing, the "de" of Jodeci, played a role in the early career of Missy Elliot and Timbaland - there's a really interesting doc out there, maybe it's on YouTube, about how he had this studio where all the acts hung out, smoked forests of pot and failed to actually record anything for *years*.

Fun stuff. Real trip down post-pubescent memory lane for me.

Ulala

Awkward Woodward
This is absolutely berserk, Teddy Riley really knows how to do the 'extended' remix properly. Manages to be quite housey, big piano vamps (almost hardcore stabs in their way) and a cracking deployment of the "Breaking Bells" loop (or whatever that break is called). The bit at around 6.15 - 6.45 is genuinely demented.

Needless to say, I love this. The upload isn't great quality but you can't have everything.