Adam Curtis

luka

the main appeal is probably the footage. i think he's right. the voiceover waters it down but also its the main element parodied. the chink in the armour.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
The stuff I've seen by him is inconceivable without a voiceover. He's pushing these big overarching narratives, the imagery is just there to back up his words.

Maybe he's moved on since then

shakahislop

i don't believe he knows the first thing about russia to be honest. does he speak even mediocre russian? has he spoken to many people in russia? probably not. totally fucking weird for someone who (I'm assuming) hasn't ever lived there to be the one making claims about cultural change (that's what most of his stuff is generally about isn't it). the style is incredible. i think he'd be better as an illustrator of other peoples ideas, a skilled workman, or as a full-on artist rather than a documentary maker. he makes claim after claim and people really listen to him. but whenever he touches on anything i know about its clear that he has a tenuous grasp of the facts, but that doesn't stop him barreling in with his authoritative voice. this is one of the problems with the english elite when it comes to talking about other countries, i don't know why but they have no humility at all.

only vaguely related to that, there is a pretty interesting general trend on all sides towards the old man as authority figure and truth teller, which surely curtis fits into. specifically his voice. leaving aside the class dominance of the way he speaks, there is something in the water when it comes to all kinds of people wanting an elderly gentleman to explain the world to them.

luka

ridiculous. You think cos you did a comic relief appeal in Afghanistan you 'know' more than people who saw a half hour documentary on telly about it? I don't personally agree.

shakahislop

ridiculous. You think cos you did a comic relief appeal in Afghanistan you 'know' more than people who saw a half hour documentary on telly about it? I don't personally agree.

luka watch all of this and tell me what you think, i think you'll love it

luka

I love it without even bothering to watch it it's great you went and built a well in Kandahar on your gap year but it doesn't give you privileged insight into Afghanistan.

shakahislop

I love it without even bothering to watch it it's great you went and built a well in Kandahar on your gap year but it doesn't give you privileged insight into Afghanistan.

no you have to watch it otherwise you're banned from dissensus and the river thames

wild greens

Whats the tune dead early on in the first episode where the woman is modelling the black and white fur thing in front of all the rich lads

Sounds great

shakahislop

it definitely does, there's a big difference between people who know what they're talking about and people who don't, the difference specifically is that you don't talk rubbish, don't repeat shit other people have said just because it sounds cool, fits with your agenda and prior beliefs etc, you have a bit more respect for actual reality, bit more in touch with how bad your preconceptions were and so on

shakahislop

it's not delusional, it's real. if you take talking about things like 'russia' seriously then this kind of thing is important. that the people with a platform are describing something close to reality.