dave quam

Pretty sure Brenmar isn't "blindly" taking cues from the UK, he's a big fan of what goes on there. He's also from Chicago, not NYC, and it's clear in a lot of his stuff that he grew up with ghetto house too.

Also, I've seen plenty of English dudes with stupid haircuts.

tom lea

Pretty sure Brenmar isn't "blindly" taking cues from the UK, he's a big fan of what goes on there. He's also from Chicago, not NYC, and it's clear in a lot of his stuff that he grew up with ghetto house too.

yea - if you hear him dj it's clear he draws just as much from US and latin-american music (be it reggaeton, hip-hop, ghettohouse or whatever) than he does UK stuff, if not more. in fact when i last saw him dj he barely played any uk stuff.

luka

for what its worth id be suprised if bobby turned out to be muggs. not only suprised but impressed as bobby exhibits a fluidity and lucidity of prose that i dont think muggs is capable of and the insults, mean spirited and unwarranted as they are, have genuine bite and even wit, again, muggs has never demonstrated this ability. he is a plodder and bobby i think is intelligent. i think its th not unwelcome return of that curmudgonly cunt mms.

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
chime in with a second (or 3rd, luka's being a backhanded compliment) endorsement of mms, I remember him usually having interesting things to say.

mms

sometimes
for what its worth id be suprised if bobby turned out to be muggs. not only suprised but impressed as bobby exhibits a fluidity and lucidity of prose that i dont think muggs is capable of and the insults, mean spirited and unwarranted as they are, have genuine bite and even wit, again, muggs has never demonstrated this ability. he is a plodder and bobby i think is intelligent. i think its th not unwelcome return of that curmudgonly cunt mms.

no i'm not going to return under the name bobby,
i've already wrote a couple of posts yesterday under my own name as it goes.

but bobby is largely right I think -

this is the most interesting thread on here in a while, there is so much going on and maybe its a bit too late for me to rewind as there are so many things to take in.

but the other thing is so what if funky hasn't made it, nor did grime or hardcore or jungle or 2 step until it stepped out and did a more daytime sound, and anyone mourning funky's inability to 'make it' is missing the point, i mean have you heard funky on the radio - the whole point is funky djs and mcs etc are having more fun than anyone else has for a long time and the music is wide open and cracking.

all the things people are blaming on this thread for 'killing' things - i have a feeling this is an admission of guilt - shooting the messenger, why not just get on with it - llstening to music supporting it and buying it rather than these over-laboured and rather false antagonisms.

edit: bobby is not muggs - i mean this whole forum has become some kind of musical eastenders hasn't it - you don't expect new characters to come anymore - and it revolves around these ideas of the hardcore continnum which are largely misconstrued, like soap opera rumours, its a little hhc tv set and dissensus is the queen vic.

Last edited:

Benny Bunter

I kind of agree with a lot of what you're saying mms, but part of being a music fan is arguing over what you believe to be better music, and having a pop at stuff you believe to be shit. Its all part of the fun! (until you get accused of being 'bitter' of course ;)) I just get a bit sick of all the relentless positivism in writing about music, ignoring things that you think are lame, just 'getting on with it' etc.

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
BTW, if you were saying "it's stupid that FACT magazine and Dissensus and Rinse and Dalston and Berlin are getting excited about this insipid IDM-you-can-dance-to bollocks when there's much more exciting music coming out of the Funky scene proper" then, well, I wouldn't entirely agree but I'd disagree a lot less.

All I was taking an issue with is that the future garage / post dubstep / whatever lot are the reason that Funky hasn't taken over as the default rudeboy-populist friday night music for london. And the implied (or am I too reading too much into it?) criticism that the post dubstep crowd shouldn't just be making and supporting the music that interests them, they should be being careful in case there's a more worthy scene that they're indirectly competing with...

Benny Bunter

mms, i have to admit you've lost me now. Slothrop was responding to some things I said earlier on in the thread (and which have since been blown massively out of proportion), why are you having a go at him?

Slothrop: "it's stupid that FACT magazine and Dissensus and Rinse and Dalston and Berlin are getting excited about this insipid IDM-you-can-dance-to bollocks when there's much more exciting music coming out of the Funky scene proper" then, well, I wouldn't entirely agree but I'd disagree a lot less.

yeah, i suppose thats pretty much how i generally feel overall. What I said about post dubstep pinching funky's audience was a fairly off hand comment that has been misconstrued and blown up out of proportion. I have been at pains to point out that this is only a small part of the problem, and I've also admitted that funky has its own shortcomings that has prevented it taking over in a big way. I have made further allowances. Gimme a break please!

Benny Bunter

right so mms has just deleted his last two posts, should anyone wonder why the discussion on this page doesn't make any sense.

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
Ha ha, sorry.

There's a weird way that discussions on the internet start to feel like, I dunno, the wranglings during the Philadelphia convention and that the outcome (or not) of any given thread will play a part in determining the rules that music has to follow for the next N hundred years.

I really need to slap myself when I start thinking that way...

Benny Bunter

XP

I know exactly what you mean. Doesn't help that I don't always make myself very clear and am prone to making sweeping generalisations either. I'm also aware that I'm partly responsible for turning this thread into yet another hcc discussion, but with threads like this its bound to crop up innit? I'll try and watch that in future though...

mms

sometimes
XP

I know exactly what you mean. Doesn't help that I don't always make myself very clear and am prone to making sweeping generalisations either. I'm also aware that I'm partly responsible for turning this thread into yet another hcc discussion, but with threads like this its bound to crop up innit? I'll try and watch that in future though...

well no not really we are talking about cities afterall.

Also i'm not actually criticising anyone
it's something that's just become the credo of the music section on this site and it's hard to speak about anything without it being the thing - like someone saying 'dont think about windows' and of course you think about windows.

Last edited: