What do I need to know to be a Proper Grown Up?

you

I know some old guys who use drugs - but this is something a PGU can only really do in some circumstances.... most jobs that PGU's have just wouldn't be able to balance I feel..... maybe im wrong.... but they never buy it, it's just something around them at the same time as having a drink - yknow? I think proper old school PGUs wouldn't touch it, 'you read enough about that sort of stuff in the paper'...

What about Golf? This is way grown up innit? I'd like to try it, a proper 18 hole course not just a driving range, I like jumpers, brogues, drinking, balls and the outdoors - I may enjoy it, plus you get to swack at stuff with a big club :)....... *insert, used to go clubbing, now I go clubbing, OR now im on a different green type joke here - pick one, they're complimentary*

OH - and another thing.... Have you noticed on trains that PGU's don't really wear headphones quite so much - unless they are those noise cancelling bose ones?

luka

i stop smoking weed every day ages ago after getting pneumonia and lying on a hospital bed with a drip out my arm and an oxygen mask on. when i was asleep somone stole my shoes from under my bed. thats was when i was in my early 20s. i have started smoking everey day again for periods, quite long periods mostly but th older i gete the longer th gaps between smoking. one even lasted a whole year. i dont get high whn i smoke so its a waste of time and money really.

Last edited:

Benny Bunter

i dont get high whn i smoke so its a waste of time and money really.

Yeah i'm like this as well, dunno why I still bother but I do. still fondly remember floating off into another dimension off 2 'buckets' when I was 15 and have been fruitlessly chasing that high ever since, to no avail.

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
Appreciating the appeal of good wines, single malt (or good brandy, whatever) and proper cocktails vs. the appeal of drugs is an important part of becoming a PGU, I think.
What about Golf?

Out of interest, are we talking about how to be a grownup or how to be upper middle class here?

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Out of interest, are we talking about how to be a grownup or how to be upper middle class here?

I like nice whisky and I'd hardly call myself 'upper middle class'! Let's say you've got a spare £50 knocking about - does it makes you 'upper middle class' to spend it on a bottle of really good single malt, or two excellent bottles of Burgundy, whereas it would be authentically 'working class' to blow it on a gram of charlie? (example not chosen at random, since drugs were the original context)

No idea about golf, though.

Last edited:

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
Being a PGU really just comes down to not doing exactly what you want, when you want, all of the time, and taking at least some sense of pride and nobility in that fact.

you

Being a PGU really just comes down to not doing exactly what you want, when you want, all of the time, and taking at least some sense of pride and nobility in that fact.

that's so true, I often feel most mature and grown up when I want the fish but the table orders red and I just end up with steak or lamb, opting for that rather than cause a fuss.... *fans repeatedly*

luka

i know a lot of working class essex boys that love a round of golf. they have quite a hedonistic approach to golf that involvs getting wankerd and crashing golf carts into trees.

STN

sou'wester
I went to buy washing powder yesterday. They didn’t have my usual brand so I was stood in front of this immense array of pointless, incremental variation, feeling like one of our dads at Starbucks, which is to say not merely confused, but angrily confused, as though the vast range was the result of a personally directed conspiracy to annoy and baffle me. In the end I gave a weird grunt of tormented fury and plucked one from the shelf at random, which turns out to be the one that brings my girlfriend out in a rash.

This sort of aggressive helplessness in the face of something perfectly simple and (only very faintly) modern is quite important, I think.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I went to buy washing powder yesterday. They didn’t have my usual brand so I was stood in front of this immense array of pointless, incremental variation, feeling like one of our dads at Starbucks, which is to say not merely confused, but angrily confused, as though the vast range was the result of a personally directed conspiracy to annoy and baffle me. In the end I gave a weird grunt of tormented fury and plucked one from the shelf at random, which turns out to be the one that brings my girlfriend out in a rash.

This sort of aggressive helplessness in the face of something perfectly simple and (only very faintly) modern is quite important, I think.

I think the most PGU-ish phrase in this whole post is the words 'usual brand'.

STN

sou'wester
that said, i still hoover up wine as though it's beer, often with disasterous results. This is definite non-PGU behaviour.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
i know a lot of working class essex boys that love a round of golf. they have quite a hedonistic approach to golf that involvs getting wankerd and crashing golf carts into trees.

Yeah I don't think golf is middle class anymore.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
PGUs don't seem to be wracked with self-loathing either.

I've been trying to avoid being a PGU for years because I equate being 'mature' with being miserable. But I'm starting to realise that I'm probably going to have to grow up soon or be miserable.

Part of me looks forward to a time when I would rather go on a nice walk than a hideous drugs binge.