PLAYGROUND LORE

muser

also going Ummmm when someone done something naughty. Got to be one of the most annoying noises humans can produce.

There was a popular game at my school involving a pound coin, you had to hit from one edge of the table so it just lay over the other edge without falling off, then flick it up and catch it, then spin it and mid spin shoot it through a goal made by the other persons hand. If you didnt manage it you had to put your knuckle on the table and the other person would shoot the coin at your knuckle. Basically invloved lots of people with bleeding knuckles.

luka

i invented my own game but i was thee only one who was any good at it. it involved balancing on the back two legs of your chair. i could do it for ever. i have a good sense of balance. 10 minutes, even 15 minutes. that was the pinnacle of my acheivements. it as my peak, lifes been downhill ever since.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"There was a popular game at my school involving a pound coin, you had to hit from one edge of the table so it just lay over the other edge without falling off, then flick it up and catch it, then spin it and mid spin shoot it through a goal made by the other persons hand. If you didnt manage it you had to put your knuckle on the table and the other person would shoot the coin at your knuckle. Basically invloved lots of people with bleeding knuckles."
Yeah, we played this except without the physical punishment aspect. It was an excellent game of skill.

"also going Ummmm when someone done something naughty. Got to be one of the most annoying noises humans can produce."
Yeah, cos you know you're gonna get a bollocking and you can't do anything about it, and getting involved with the people going umm will just get you into more trouble.

STN

sou'wester
I like that aggressive, breathy 'aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa' noise you make when someone else has been unfortunate or badly cussed.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
this is like some sort of universal kid ur-language which you forget by about 12 years old

My mum worked as an au pair in Greece for a summer when she was a student and she said kids there taunt each other with the exact same 'ner-nerny-ner-ner' tune. It must just be an inherently mocking sound.

you

My mum worked as an au pair in Greece for a summer when she was a student and she said kids there taunt each other with the exact same 'ner-nerny-ner-ner' tune. It must just be an inherently mocking sound.

I think this is explored here

STN

sou'wester
If I were younger than my 31 years, I might have something to say about your mum working as an au pair, Mr Tea.

Lichen

Age 8-10 if someone asked you in the playground "are you a bender in a cage or a bender on the loose?" you had to reply one way or the other. Leading the questioner to either point at you and laugh or run away screaming.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I like that aggressive, breathy 'aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa' noise you make when someone else has been unfortunate or badly cussed.

Is this related to the hi-lo-hi "uuuUUUUUuuuummm!" sound used to indicate that someone has been naughty, usually in order to alert any teacher in earshot?

Another classic, specific to middle school, was "Gutted!" to gloat over another's misfortune. I guess today's equivalent might be "owned" or "FAIL!".

STN

sou'wester
No, it was like an elongated hybrid of the exaggerated noise made by someone enjoying a cold drink in an 80s advert, and a squawk of triumph. It was often followed by a cry of "gutted" in fact.

woops

is not like other people
school dinners, school dinners,
concrete chips
concrete chips
soggy semolina
soggy semolina
i feel sick
toilet quick
it's too late
i've done it on my plate

Lichen

My friend Billy had a ten foot willy
He showed it to the girl next door
She thought it was a snake
So she hit with a rake and now it's only three foot four.

luka

thoses duralex cups made in france. cant remember what mytholgy accrued around them, something to do with the numbrs on the bottom.