The music journalism hall of shame thread

Elijah

Butterz
After heated speculation following a recent Pitchfork interview with Danny Brown, UK producer Darq E Freaker and Detroit rapper Danny Brown release their new single and video Blueberry (Pills & Cocaine).

Building on his vicious trademark sound: distorted metallic stabs, straight-through-the-middle bass punches and beautifully cacophonous sonics; the Freaker – best known for riotous street/club anthem Next Hype (Tempa T) and the critically-acclaimed Cherryade – induces a whirlwind of vigorous sex and drug raps from the Fools Gold rapper.

Moving past his grime roots, Freaker is now at the forefront of a new movement - British Trap . His production has been fittingly described as part dark, part freaky - putting a distinctive British twist on the bass-heavy US trap sound dominating the last few years of rap. This sound has undoubtedly inspired the enigmatic producer's new direction and the video - which features both Darq E and Danny Brown - directed by Yoni Lappin (PinBoardFilm) - is a trippy glimpse into excess that follows Darq E and his gang of models as they let loose through chaotic London scenery.

rubberdingyrapids

ha@part dark, part freaky.

is that a press release or an article?

from this thread, what im getting is that people just want to read opinions without any sort of descriptions.

lol dark and freaky you know. Who the fuck wrote that?!

I don't think there's anything wrong with saying there's a British Trap movement though, loads of people are on the trap thing these days.

Elijah

Butterz
lol dark and freaky you know. Who the fuck wrote that?!

I don't think there's anything wrong with saying there's a British Trap movement though, loads of people are on the trap thing these days.

From the press release. Yea course people are on the trap thing. But that is just a grime tune aint it. Left his grime roots behind you know.

Its like you are saying its only credible because it is something new. Rather than it just being a good tune.

rubberdingyrapids

but if youre someone who doesnt know about this kind of music, and youre say, some rock journalist at the guardian, youll read that, and think its more newsworthy than reading about a good grime artist. its crap i know, but you know how it goes. its always about newness with dance/urban music.

Bit of a weird thing to say about Darq E Freaker to be honest though, because his beats have basically been the same since forever.

Don't mean that in a detrimental sense- I love his stuff- but how was it grime two years ago but "future trap" now?

Elijah

Butterz
but if youre someone who doesnt know about this kind of music, and youre say, some rock journalist at the guardian, youll read that, and think its more newsworthy than reading about a good grime artist. its crap i know, but you know how it goes. its always about newness with dance/urban music.

Yea but why do you give a shit what a rock journalist at the guardian thinks. This is exactly what im talking about.

SecondLine

Yea but why do you give a shit what a rock journalist at the guardian thinks. This is exactly what im talking about.

that's why you hire a PR to write a press release surely, pay someone to give a shit about that stuff so you don't have to

Leo

if a rock journalist at the guardian gets interested and writes a story, his words are probably reaching a thousand times more people than dance music sites like fact or resident adviser do. and even thought 90% of those guardian readers won't give a shit and skip the article, some in the remaining 10% could become turned on and get into it.

i'm just guessing at those numbers, btw, but probably somewhere in that range. even that 10% figure is probably a lot more readers than the average dance music blog gets.

Elijah

Butterz
if a rock journalist at the guardian gets interested and writes a story, his words are probably reaching a thousand times more people than dance music sites like fact or resident adviser do. and even thought 90% of those guardian readers won't give a shit and skip the article, some in the remaining 10% could become turned on and get into it.

i'm just guessing at those numbers, btw, but probably somewhere in that range. even that 10% figure is probably a lot more readers than the average dance music blog gets.

Dont want readers. Want listeners. Ravers. People who want to have the best times of their lives.

The only thing the positive press has allowed us (Butterz) and the new grime lot is to get in the clubs again. I look on line ups all over London now and there seems to be Grime present on so many. Whether its old heads like Slimzee, Youngstar down to new guys like Preditah, Royal-T, Darq E, Logan, D.O.K, Kozzie, Merky Ace, M.I.K, OGz etc. This wasnt happening two years ago.

Aside from that I dont think anyone has actually 'discovered' the music via any of these publications.

Leo

if someone reads about a type of music that's new to them and become interested, it seems to follow that they'd become listeners, no? find it hard to believe that hasn't happened.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I had a nightmare last night which involved trying ineffectually to rebut criticisms under a review I'd done on Fact's website.

It was a bit like one of those dreams where you haven't revised for a big exam.