Conceptual art: what's the point?

version

Books still sell well. It's just the stuff people buy is self-help shit, fantasy and Michelle Obama's memoir.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
You can't expect people who are used to scrolling through an Instagram feed to know how to look at a painting (by which I don't mean some elitist methodology, but just stopping and *looking*). I've been learning, in my thoroughly amateurish way, for the past 5 or 6 years.

luka

You can't expect people who are used to scrolling through an Instagram feed to know how to look at a painting (by which I don't mean some elitist methodology, but just stopping and *looking*). I've been learning, in my thoroughly amateurish way, for the past 5 or 6 years.

this is my point. they are fucked almost beyond saving at this point. and that has repercussions for painting and all other art forms.

version

Your "thoroughly amateurish way" meaning "smoking huge quantities of weed".

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
It's reflective of a different pace of life, and of living in a world where sensation is surfeited, attention smashed into a thousand pieces.

You can see this in an apocalyptic light but otoh it's simply the way the world is now. It's like expecting people to still get around by horse draw carriage or something.

version

I have a painting on my wall. It's the only thing hanging on any of my walls. Although it's some sort of replica or print in a frame.

luka

my mate with liberal parents who let him smoke skunk in his bedroom all day every day had his walls covered with reporductions of famous paintings and loads of art books. i'd get out of my mind, aged 15,16, 17, 18 and those things would come alive. very educational for me.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
One reason I like reading old books (besides the fact they're well vetted as being worth reading) is that people in the 19th century could see things that we now can't see.

In my defence, artists have always been inspired by the art of the (often distant) past. Joyce/Eliot the arch modernists were both obsessed with Dante, for example. (And Beckett, too, actually.)

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
dont knock it, it's what taught me to look too.

It's like what you were saying about Autechre (maybe?) last night. Weed makes you fixate on things. On details. It sucks you into surfaces. You can see things this way sober it just takes more time and effort.

luka

One reason I like reading old books (besides the fact they're well vetted as being worth reading) is that people in the 19th century could see things that we now can't see.

In my defence, artists have always been inspired by the art of the (often distant) past. Joyce/Eliot the arch modernists were both obsessed with Dante, for example. (And Beckett, too, actually.)

the 20th century is the distant past.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I've just spent a good three hours (stoned) in the national gallery. It's one of the best places on earth, I should guess. Inexhaustibly fascinating (when you're baked off your head). Reproductions of paintings are totally not fit for purpose. It's a frustrating fact, really. What you really want is all these paintings in your house. Or maybe just one really good one in your house. Some of them you could stare at for hours (Canaletto).