continuum

smugpolice
Listened to the Shay & Sinista mix last night and while thought it was good it felt a bit soulless as it's almost rigid hard bangers all the way through. Was toying with the idea of doing a mix like that until realised last night that S&S had done it first. For me it's not good enough for something to be purely grimey and dark. It has to retain some level of humanity in it (see B3's productions) otherwise it just heads in the direction of EDM Dubstep or standard DnB.

Couple of mixes that stood out recently I've heard that are a bit more balanced:

https://soundcloud.com/majestydj001/audiowhore-sat-19th-oct-dj

https://soundcloud.com/plusrecordings/plus-recordings-promo-mix

Benny Bunter

On the subject of ex UK funky producers making slightly boring house now

:(

otoh this other new Ill Blu production is fucking great

sorry for the thread derail. One of these days I'll get round to properly checking the deep tech stuff in this thread, but somehow I don't think its ever gonna really grab me.

fuck it, i'll give the s&s a spin now

Last edited:

trilliam

almost a year since this thread was created and still the same kind of chat

cheers man.
anyways, went to this night at lakota last week - https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BX6UDDqIMAAnQJF.jpg:large
little on the empty side, just a ton of blokes stood round the sides of the dancefloor with just a handful of dancers shuffling etc. didn't seem totally enthused though. had to endure a live drummer :rolleyes: who completely over powered the system so who can blame them?...

not being funny but thats probably because the event was in bristol, without being condescending or whatever this is really a london thing, been a cupl events in the midlands and that but it's really for the capital by the capital, very insular in that sense much like another londoncentric genre thats acclaim didn't come until much too late. i mean a live drummer that's bordering on cheesy and totally unnecessary, it's not tribal or soulful house to need some native sounds uno.

the rave i went to in vauxhall club union the dancers (and by dancers i mean those who could dance) were absolutely killing it especially the white boys it must be said, killing it. from 1 o clock it was a sweatbox, absolutely ram (right about the time arun verone came on) and the soundsystem was pukka (though granted im not an expert).

my experience seems totally different from yours and the only thing i can put this down to is it being in it's natural habitat, not that these guys/this sound shouldn't spread its wings down the uk, ava word was in brum last month and theres been a cupl big things in manny as well as the absolutely HUGE outbreak festival in Leicester . but rele if u wanna judge a night out u need to go the epicentre feel me.

Listened to this at the gym thought that might be a good context for it but I still feel lukewarm towards it. Some decent tunes but nothing really makes me want to get an ID.

As a good Dissensian, I'm tempted to see this dark-house thing as a reaction to the exuberance of UK funky ala. tech-step DNB in relation to jump up/jungle. Much more pristine and clinical. There's that bass-sound that comes up a lot in this mix too, quite distorted and grungy. Puts me in mind of when Circle pitted themselves against UK funky, with its MCs, dance-routines and so on, as 'real house'.

None of this really matters too much to me in terms of me being open to listening to it, but I've not really heard that much so far that has me excited. I'm very much just dipping in to a few mixes here and there, though, so I'm not dismissing it. It definitely seems like a particular style from what I've heard anyway.

Pristine and clinical are not the first two words that leap into my head at all when tryna describe this sound, neither is that what I think these guys are going for. I like dissensus as a forum for music discussion but the revisionist history stuff irks me, for instance circle vs funky was rele tippa just mouthing off as usual, and i don't think anyone in funky wanted mcs, dances or ridiculously swag tunes out there. i cant see that happening with this doe. if u care to expand though on the circle point feel free.

ok so now the tlking is finished..

trilliam

first off partly for the people who are yet to hear tunes that grab them or still struggling to understand what makes this different from normal house, deep house, or boring house and also in part to keep a nice little stack of tunes I created a playlist on soundcloud.

There's over thirty tracks there so I seriously challenge any listener to bang it on and not find at least a handful of tunes that rele grabs them, but if so they probably dnt like house music period.

secondly as i kinda hinted at, the club much like radio with grime is the best format to rele hear what it is thats so captivating/hype/good about this stuff, so consider these sets required listening. if u do not like them then u do not like and will not like this stuff because they're for my money the BEST EXAMPLES/RECCOMENDATIONS on offer.

all sets recorded live basically 90 minutes. complete with audible crowd hype and gassed host (not the mc kind or the tippa ruin the vibe kind)

P.S. selection is higher than 60/40 uk productions to us as well, a definite sign of growth

ok enuff preamble

Lance Morgan Live @ #UKZooParty - Golden Palace - October 2013

Mark Radford Live @ #UKZooParty - Golden Palace - October 2013

Arun Verone @ #UKZooParty - Golden Palace - October 2013

Lee B3 Edwards @ #UKZooParty - Golden Palace - October 2013

This is live audio from the 2013 finale of the UK Zoo series, I've listened to one of these sets every day since I downloaded them no exaggeration. As said before the majority of tracks in these sets is UK.

will post more in a minute just let this marinate..

Last edited:

datwun

Great posts trilliam, loads of bangers in there.

Some of the tracks I absolutely love, and a lot of it would go into my best music of the year (even if some of that is 2012 stuff I've only got into more recently). Is shuffle a big MDMA and ketamine thing like the whole big room/festival house/house revival thing? Can imagine it'd be absolutely wicked on a massive sound system spangled to the skies.

I think the problem a lot of people have with it around these parts is the near total lack of anything you could call an innovation. Even jackin at its best does some pretty out there stuff with the bassline, some of the tracks playing each note in the bassline with a different warp or wobble, not to mention all the little tricks and surprises Lorenzo especially includes, tracks breaking into jungle sections or trap, Dappy slowing down to Moombaton tempo etc. And even then people say that jackin's 'just house'.

With deep tech, it really is 'just house'. It's just house which is sick, house with massive basslines, house with a bad attitude. In some ways it's obviously a massive testament to the overall slow down in pop culture that whereas even 10 years ago you could expect UK dance music to change a lot in a year, now the big news in UK rave is... house music... again.

Still, considering the only music which is really future at the moment is Footwork and the best of the US real Trap shit, and (with the notable exception of Jambie's We Buy Gold and any party Kode 9 plays at) there's no real club scene for that here, the options are get to like house music or give up raving...

PS, has anyone posted this yet? New D'Vinci:
Really nice basslines!

Last edited:

vvvwwwv

Listened to the Shay & Sinista mix last night and while thought it was good it felt a bit soulless as it's almost rigid hard bangers all the way through.
but to me the harder-edged tunes, with the grimy bass stabs n all, are the only bits differentiating this sound (shuffle house, ldn house, whatever the fuck) from standard ministry of sound tech house and dusky et al. true say, could do with a bit more ying and yang than what that shay & sinista mix but ya know, it's one mix...
basically everything i wanna articulate about this sound and why i'm into it is showcased perfectly by that playlist trilliam has put together. the elements in those tracks should be what the scene looks to and create/innovates with, fuck the in-roads with amine edge & dance and hot creations ;)

@trilliam, what you say about the london/bristol divide, you're probably right mate. perhaps just a bit of time for it all to 'click'? who knows...grime never was a thing here, ironically until now with the likes of kahn, oh91, boofy etc. haha.
the live drummer thing was bizarre, a complete misreading on the promoters part of the music.

continuum

smugpolice
With deep tech, it really is 'just house'. It's just house which is sick, house with massive basslines, house with a bad attitude.

That's just it. It's the bad attitude and darkness which is innovative. There are a few darkside Jackin' tracks but most of it is a happy party vibe and regular House hasn't had any darkness in it since about 1988. There has to be balance to keep it interesting of course but there is too much of the other in House already. At real street level everything isn't happy and party. All these new tracks bring the realness. The rest of House lost that years ago and you had Jungle, Grime etc. as the counterfoil. What's innovative is the introduction of that vibe into regular House.

Nah those sets from ukzoo are tough

couple of the tunes in the b3 edwards are actually really old acid house which surprised me

well, remakes

Last edited:

NATO

but to me the harder-edged tunes, with the grimy bass stabs n all, are the only bits differentiating this sound (shuffle house, ldn house, whatever the fuck) from standard ministry of sound tech house and dusky et al. true say, could do with a bit more ying and yang than what that shay & sinista mix but ya know, it's one mix...
basically everything i wanna articulate about this sound and why i'm into it is showcased perfectly by that playlist trilliam has put together. the elements in those tracks should be what the scene looks to and create/innovates with, fuck the in-roads with amine edge & dance and hot creations ;)

You said what I was too lazy to say, nice one.

@trillz Great playlist. Heard most of the tunes, but they sound good when listened to together like that.

continuum

smugpolice
Personal favourite tune right is this one by Trix aka Nano

Reminds me of those skippy grasshopper style Bassline tracks.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Yo I listened to the Mark Radford set today from Urban Zoo and its not bad - I love that bit when a tune drops and you hear one guy yelling ''Oh! Oh! Oh!... FFFFFUCK OFF!'' lolll

I wish more sets had crowd noise in them.

Oh and there are some tunes in that playlist you posted that I like quite a lot trilliam.

continuum

smugpolice
Yo I listened to the Mark Radford set today from Urban Zoo and its not bad - I love that bit when a tune drops and you hear one guy yelling ''Oh! Oh! Oh!... FFFFFUCK OFF!'' lolll

I wish more sets had crowd noise in them.

+1 on crowd noise adding to the recorded set.
Listened to the following B3 one last night and you can hear people saying "he's taking the piss" etc. through it.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
a couple i'm feeling so far

I like this one. This has that little trumpet riff that semi reminds me of ''Doop'' but not enough to ruin it. Also I can see how the UK style bass-line is meeting US style house. Arun Verone seems good in general.

This is good too. Pulverising bassline.

as is this. This sounds proper T1000ish. I dunno about house exploring darkness (re continuums comments up above) but this reminds me of some techno I've heard.

''heading my way'' I already liked that a lot.

okay so as usual I'm probably going to end up backtracking and changing my tune on the whole thing. I still find certain tunes a bit dull (i like the more uptempo/aggressive stuff generally) and the vocals used weak/cheesy but I was a silly sod to somewhat write it off upthread.

trilliam

this is arun verones set from club union last saturday, imo one of the best djs and producers in the scene, top 3 in both categories

grime style of mixing makes this the best set for me as well from that night although hearing lance morgan drop art department was crazy

-----

two absolute bombs from the house ent brand. lance morgan drops both of these in his set on their soundcloud.

Last edited: