glasshand

dj panic attack
locked to radford's show now and he just dropped this banger

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/4Ng25smTioU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

datwun

To be honest, of Reynolds writings, his nuum stuff is maybe a lot less relevant here than Retromania.
I dunno, I see both sides of it. On the one hand, the music's really good, if you're closing your ears to it (not saying Blackdown's doing that, actually I think that's a very unfair criticism seeing as he's been here in the thread asking questions, researching ect.) then you're missing out on some of the best music, and by the looks of it, some of the best raves in the UK at the moment. There's loads of creativity going on here, old guys getting second winds of life, new guys coming up thick and fast, if I was in London I'd probably be very excited with it (especially as it means I don't have to go to Birmingham everytime I want to go to an actually fun party).

On the other side, can people not see how it's pretty disappointing that in the long history of UK bass music, the latest development, the thing people are going nuts for in East London is now... house? I mean, yeah I know every time a new genre comes along people say it's 'just house'. Garage, funky, jackin etc. But it seems with each generation the difference between the UK flavour and whatever international strand of house it came out of (NYC garage house, US/Euro funky house, electro/fidget/big room deep house) seems to be getting smaller and smaller. With UKG and funky you had fundamentally different rhythm structures to the parent-house-genre. With jackin I feel that the bass sound, like really really slow bassline/speed garage, plus the whole cheesy pop side of things makes dancing to jackin a very very different experience to dancing to other house. With deep tech you've got the darkness and then... the bass sound is kind of unique? Dunno, it's like, there's been dark house before, there's been house with sub bass before, there's been house with shuffle to the drums before. There is something very anti-climatic about it as far as a head-on rush into the future goes.

In many ways it's just what it is, we're living with like 100 years of pop music history now, 60 years of electric pop music, and 40 years of electronic dance music. Apart from maybe ketamine, which probably has had more of a unique influence on dance music over the last 5 years then any other drug (dubstep, wonky, jackin, mainstream deep house etc), methadrone and all of that lot are just cheap imitations of MDMA, which still remains the central unifier across dance musics and has now been in wide use for like 30 years. In this brave new world of hyper-connected digital-internet capitalism, the big internet companies have turned out to be just as shitty as all the old companies, and the economy's shit and probably will remain shit for the rest of those who are young now's lives.

It's not like its surprising that there's not some massive/mass-movement of future oriented rave shit at the moment, and it's not like Mark Radford or Playtime Productions are responsible for it. But pretending like house music is anything other than comfort food for ravers isn't going to help either...

trilliam

@blkdown what is it about people enjoying music that ticks u off so much brah, only on the internet i swear.

i've not fallen off you bellend, i'm standing up for what i hear and what i believe in.

falling off is pretending you always were into house and techno really, when house and techno were invented in the 80s, if not before. falling off is being into grime then acting like house is a new invention, when in fact it's just the case that you didn't bother to listen to it before 2009 but fashion tells you that you now can.

who is pretending to have always loved house and techno? what is wrong with having listened to grime and then moving onto house in 2009 when grime had been dead for a year already? you do realise when your main genre goes bust u have to look for new music that gets u going right?

falling off is saying "oh, well i like the nuum and this is where the nuum community are taking drugs, ergo i must like it" while turning off my ears.

i haven't commented on this music + drugs sidebar because it's so irrelevant and entirely fabricated/imagined. in due respect i dnt think anyone is pushing this logic apart from the people actively trying to get into the sound e.g. forcing e.g. you

my opinions are concentrated around the stuff i do now because people and sounds i rated got so mediocre i got up off my arse and found people who were hungry to collaborate with. if 2step 2.0 or uk funky 2.0 was happening now i'd be enthusing about that too but instead everyone wants to be Jamie Jones.

so it's ok to rehash sounds as long as they're long established UK ones, always looking forward ye. where were you for uk funky 1.0? ive read that funky topic start to end and believe you me the johnny come lately shit is immense
newsflash randomer untold joe kode9 beneath mosca martyn even ill blu to an extent = not funky.

and LEST WE FORGET

didnt a bunch of future gazing uk producers fed up with the sounds around them look towards house to save their scene. wasn't this a massive hypefest circle jerk of epic proportions. wasn't pearson sound once called ramadanman.

i hope u had a similar anti house vent them times as well brah

Last edited:

trilliam

I'm not against it, I just can't laud it: it's just a house variant. I recognise it is big, of the moment & has potential for the future, but if this truly the next UKG, right now please tell me one tune from this scene that can look "31 seconds" or "Destiny" or "I Luv U" or "LFO" or "Do you mind" in the eye? Just one.

u think when any of these tunes came out people said this is a genre defining moment, a timeless classic, or they just said this is a banger. or was it not till a year or 2 or 5 down the line that they clocked they were still saying its banger and it took on that status?

Last edited:

trilliam

the music's really good, if you're closing your ears to it you're missing out on some of the best music in the UK at the moment.

But pretending like house music is anything other than comfort food for ravers isn't going to help either...

*confusion*

continuum

smugpolice
u think when any of these tunes came out people said this is a genre defining moment, a timeless classic, or they just said this is a banger. or was it not till a year or 2 or 5 down the line that they clocked they were still saying its banger and it took on that status?

+1

Benny Bunter

the latest mark radford show on rinse is absolutely brilliant and, it has to said, totally nuumy like doom is describing. Remixes of little man, 31 seconds, full on speed garage tracks, late 90s dnb sounding ones. His own productions with False Identity are wicked too. Best set i've heard out of this scene so far.

still got this set on repeat, only had half on eye on this scene this year (there being plenty of other house n bass related stuff to keep me satisfied) but I had a feeling some set would really click with me given time. NEVER dismiss a newly forming focus of energy is my motto.

As for the ? over whether this fits into the nuum lineage - this set is absolutely riddled with samples from jungle and uk garage. Radford's background of influences is your typical hardcore>dnb>ukg progression. Its a no-brainer.

need to put a tracklist together for this set.

glasshand

dj panic attack
my opinions are concentrated around the stuff i do now because people and sounds i rated got so mediocre i got up off my arse and found people who were hungry to collaborate with. if 2step 2.0 or uk funky 2.0 was happening now i'd be enthusing about that too but instead everyone wants to be Jamie Jones.

so it's ok to rehash sounds as long as they're long established UK ones, always looking forward ye. where were you for uk funky 1.0? ive read that funky topic start to end and believe you me the johnny come lately shit is immense
newsflash randomer untold joe kode9 beneath mosca martyn even ill blu to an extent = not funky.

this is very true and important to recognise.
it's unfair to say "blackdown you've fallen off" because as far as i remember from the blog and coverage, and i have had an eye on the blog for a while, blackdown's barely covered the 'nuum in its realest sense (for me).

dubstep and music that takes some artistic direction from nuum styles are not to be confused with actual nuum. this end of 2007 article with supa d was the closest the blog got to covering funky. blackdown's blog has always covered the arty take on nuum stuff instead, people like trilliam mentions + burial zomby etc etc. nothing wrong with this, i've been reading it and i like it, but to accuse blackdown of dropping the ball is missing that.

just to show how things haven't really changed, and im not trying to call u out or anything blackdown, i'm all respect to the writing u've done on grime, dubstep, burial, zomby, skream, etc:

http://blackdownsoundboy.blogspot.co.uk/2008/09/beyond.html

Pros of funky, to me:

· It's an exciting new urban London movement.
· It from the same communities that gave you dubstep and grime, and before that jungle and garage.
· It's feminine, percussive and rhythmically interesting: things dubstep and grime are failing at right now.
· All the grime youngers are jumping on it, turning it darker.
· It is mutating rapidly.

Cons of funky, to me:

· Parts of it sound like any mainstream 4x4 house tunes. I've not been exited about 4x4 house since 1997.
· Getting exited by a sound you said you didn't like before just because it's hype is a bit fake.
· Parts of it sound like any broken beat. I've not been exited about any broken beat since Bugz in The Attic's (incredible) Fabric mix CD.

sound familiar?

maybe when this current house sound develops some more obvious sonic markers that the nuum-inspiration-takers can pinch and play with in a more avant-garde way, you'll come around to it. or maybe not.

glasshand

dj panic attack
On the other side, can people not see how it's pretty disappointing that in the long history of UK bass music, the latest development, the thing people are going nuts for in East London is now... house? I mean, yeah I know every time a new genre comes along people say it's 'just house'. Garage, funky, jackin etc. But it seems with each generation the difference between the UK flavour and whatever international strand of house it came out of (NYC garage house, US/Euro funky house, electro/fidget/big room deep house) seems to be getting smaller and smaller.

There is something very anti-climatic about it as far as a head-on rush into the future goes.

But pretending like house music is anything other than comfort food for ravers isn't going to help either...

I'm confused about this as well, especially considering the amount of defending you must have done on the differences between jackin and fidget in the jackin thread over the years!! you're kinda conceding that this is nuum and is something to watch, but also erasing the importance of the smaller differences to call it "just house" again.

is/was jackin comfort food for ravers?
the people who are expecting a flurry of massive avant garde leaps in this subgenre are getting a bit ahead of themselves i think.

Tim Reaper

green bay crew.
Most times, an anthem's usually big around the time of release.
Like he said Do You Mind, that was getting rinsed hard around the time it came out, didn't take it a year or two to build up momentum to become what it is.
Or even how bassline had Heartbroken by T2 or Delinquent - My Destiny, both had something about them which didn't take a year to build up to.

Last edited:

trilliam

Most times, an anthem's usually big around the time of release.
Like he said Do You Mind, that was getting rinsed hard around the time it came out, didn't take it a year or two to build up momentum to become what it is.
Or even how bassline had Heartbroken by T2 or Delinquent - My Destiny, both had something about them which didn't take a year to build up to.

heartbroken was gettin played a year PLUS before it hit the charts

i luv u came out when grime was at its/nearing its commercial peak

obvs anthems r big from the jump but thats in the scene theyre in not on a crossover/mainstream level

grime has many anthems how many are known on a widescale

if the scene ent gettin exposure theyre only gna be anthems to those who r involved

heartbroken is an exception to that cause whatever bassline tune got newhere near it

do you mind was a minor hit at most in radioland

n the ld remix is better.

datwun

Trilliam - Don't see whats confusing about saying that I'm feeling a lot of it, while also feeling that there's something disapointing about it as a trend in broader terms. While it's around you'd be stupid not to follow it or find the tracks and artists that do it for you, especially when there's so much good stuff. But that's not to say that it wouldn't be nice if there was some radical head-fuck spaceage dancefloor duppying rave music rather than a London take on house.

glasshand:
I'll defend what seem to outsides like small differences as important, because things like the sound of a bass, a slight shake up to the drum pattern, all of those things make a massive difference when amplified across a fuckoff sound system and shared with hundreds or thousands of people all on the same vibe. But even then I'd admit that Jackin is less future, less out there than bassline, for example, but that deep tech is even less future than that. UK rave scenes always turn to house for inspiration, and it seems that each time they do the difference between them and house gets smaller. I'd say the same's true of jackin vs. funky, but that with deep tech we're not even talking about a new sound pallet, as much as just a new vibe.But anyway, it's good raves are busy in London, it's good there's a sound that everyone's getting behind. I like it, but I think to really love it I'd want to hear it get a bit more diverse. The one thing you can say about jackin is that it really runs the whole range from hands in the air piano rave euphiria (we got a love - ryan blyth, deep love - chris gresswell) to hard, industrial Brent Kilner stuff. I still find the deep tech stuff a bit samey and can't listen to a full set of it.

Anyway, big up trilliam and continuum, I've found loads of great stuff through this thread this year.

Last edited:

vvvwwwv

need to put a tracklist together for this set.
ere goes mate.
Louie Anderson - Jack That Body (Nightshift Remix)
Oliver Rees - We Attack
Louie Anderson - Here Kitty Kitty (Mark Radford's Stroke That Pussy Remix)
Locate - Let Me Be
Shay & Sinista - Down On You (X5's Deep Dutty Remix)
Jamie Baggotts - Nothing Gunna Be The Same
Carnao Beats - Know My Name (Low Steppa Remix)
False Identity - Let The Bass Roll
Max Britton - Get Down
Oliver Rees - Who Got Da Funk
Sleazy Deep - Last Straw
SDP - Let's Go Outside
False Identity & Mark Radford (feat. Luke Burr) - Inside You
AndMe & Bastian - Badd Bassline
Luke Larrell - Secrets
Hot Natured - Benediction (Low Steppa Old Skool Flex)
Nightshift - Made You Look (Hugo Massien Remix)
Sia - Little Man (RS4 Remix)
Origin Unknown - Valley Of The Shadows (Will Clarke, Steve Westover & Some Bloke Called John Re-Rub)
False Identity & Mark Radford - Silence Is Golden
Nightshift - Through The K Hole (Louie Anderson Remix)
Amine Edge & DANCE - Ima Read That Bitch
Tough Love - Hating Me
Frank Ocean - Lost (Amine Edge & DANCE Remix)

was massively disappointed with the 'little man' remix at first, just so used to listening the vocal leading to that huge drop but it's definitely growing on me. same as the '31 seconds' remix, always risky business taking on classics..

justjoe and max britton production showcase mix, posted purely for 'chemical dub' being such a banger. 2nd drop!
&g=bb">&g=bb" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="100%%"> ">
ministry dance should be massive, may have to make the trip.
https://scontent-a-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/1472982_331101427031157_1767273457_n.jpg - bristol heads, house of waladeen boxing day party. at bunker up on whiteladies though....lol. never been, but i'm pretty sure it's just some student bar.

trilliam

wouldn't be nice if there was some radical head-fuck spaceage dancefloor duppying rave music rather than a London take on house.

with deep tech we're not even talking about a new sound pallet, as much as just a new vibe.

I still find the deep tech stuff a bit samey and can't listen to a full set of it.

i hear what you're saying but spaceage dancefloor duppying rave music and a london take on house don't have to be polar opposites. i understand that for some any brand of house can never be truly spaceage/future cause it's been about for so long.

but listen to this tune by x5 dubs and try and think of a description that matches it better than spaceage dancefloor duppying rave music

re: jackin being more innovative i think people are just favouring what they prefer which is natural.

for the brum/midlands man looking to get involved definitely get urself down to this

uk-1226-530903-235373-back.jpg

the best line up i seen for the busiest clubbing time of the year. and its not even in london. this is a very good thing.

here's some mixes as well. tried to put them in order of mostly uk to mostly (or more) us but some i aint lisened to like the apollo 84 one

Storm Productions Takeover

Truce - House of Joy Birmingham

GGB aka Glen Butcher = House of Joy Birmingham

Majesty - Siesta at Slidings NYE

Kismet - Circle Xmas Day Promo

Pioneer - House of Joy meets MyHouse: DJ Pioneer PT.2 (Deeper Mix)

Apollo 84 - Apollo 84 - Metro De Apollo Boxing Day Showcase Mix

if u dnt want any US house at all then just check out the following producers soundclouds as they've all uploaded new stuff in the past couple days.

truce
x5 dubs
arun verone
tazer
apollo 84

Last edited:

datwun

First of all, the 7th dec Mark Radford show is siiiiick! There's a track on there at around 20 in "This ones not made for the radio, it's made for a motherfuckin rave though", think it's the Louie Anderson remix of Mr & Mrs Smith - F the Radio. Gets stopped half way through for the swearing. absolutely massive!

Yeah, there is that I just like the jackin sounds better I suppose. Some of the deep tech stuff is quite spacey with loads of weird noises and stuff. I think I've got to check it out in a rave before I really "get it".

What are the good raves down in London over the end of Dec beginning of Jan? I'm back for a few weeks and I wanna go to at least one deep tech thing in London.

trilliam

no probs fam

im def reaching that house ent one and rhythm n funk as well

wanted to go tainted soul even more than audiowhore but im working

day after i get paid as well =/