Ashes 2013

hucks

Your Message Here
It's taken me a while but I'm excited now. I predict 3-1 to England. Anyone else interested?

Edit: I couldn't open the 2009 thread when I posted the above for some reason but I can now. Here's what I wrote at the start of that. All Hail Nostradamus! All questions bar number 2 still apply.

Deserving of its own thread, surely.

So, five questions.

1) What will the score be?

3-1 Aus. Sadly.

2) How many tests will Flintoff manage?

I reckon 2 - the first two.

3) Will there be anything as funny as Gary Pratt running out Ponting?

No. Nothing that funny has ever happened before or since.

4) Do you have Sky Sports?

5) Can I come round and watch?

Ta

Last edited:

crackerjack

1) What will the score be?
4-0 England.

3) Will there be anything as funny as Gary Pratt running out Ponting?
Australia are no longer much good at cricket. So now is the time for them to be comically bad at it. I predict a brilliant team effort rather than one particular incident. Perhaps culminating in Warner and Clarke having a punch-up on the final day and Clarke blubbing in public.

4) Do you have Sky Sports?
As of Monday, no.:( Does anyone know where I might find a stream?

Bangpuss

I assume you mean how long Flintoff will last as a commentator?

This series will be 2-1 or 3-1 England, with the weather determining how many draws there are.

It would be great to see Australia become a laughing stock, like when they lost to Bangladesh in an ODI. That's surely up there with Pratt running out Ponting in the Ashes? In fact, there have been quite a few in recent years. Just the sheer awfulness of some of the Australian 'bowlers' who have managed to attain international caps is borderline farcical. I remember there was a ginger dude bowling first change in the test team about three years ago and he was so slow the keeper stood up to him. I think he was slower than Jonathan Trott, who is England's joint sixth-choice bowler. Also, some of their spinners since Warne retired have been awful, Brad Hogg aside. And that off-spinner was really good, but they dropped him for the last Ashes and apparently he sold all of his cricket kit in frustration. So yeah, go Aussies. Keep making tits of yourselves please.

And to clarify, I still think they'll win a test because they've got a few match winners. And I just don't think England are strong enough not to fuck up once.

crackerjack

One thing hasn't changed since last time - for a very ordinary bowler, Peter Siddle still seems to get a lot of English wickets.

Bangpuss

Peter Siddle is a very good bowler. In a better team, he'd do exceptionally well. Even with these mediocrities alongside him, he is higher in the rankings than the (admittedly under-rated) Jimmy Anderson.

While Australia have men like Peter Siddle in the team -- a man who looks like he can handle his beer -- I will still want Australia to lose, but I won't hate them. He also looks like an albino golliwog, which is just excellent.

EDIT: SIDDLE'S GOT FIVE ALREADY! FUCK THIS ENGLAND TEAM. I'M SUPPORTING THE AUSSIES.

Last edited:

Phaedo

Siddle really didnt bowl that well yesterday. Sloppy batting for nearly all of his 5 wickets. The ball Jimmy bowled to get Clarke out though>>>

Anyway, who would of thought that a 19 year old who was playing for Henley 6 weeks ago - AND was at number 11, would hit england all over the park?

benjybars

village elder.
yeah anderson's ball to get rid of clarke was basically the best ball ever bowled in test cricket. ridiculous.

i'm a primary school teacher and our topic this term has been cricket. literally every lesson revolves around cricket. needless to say we've had TMS on in class all day..

crackerjack

what a fucking bizarre game. hard to know which way most of the luck went in the end.

one thing's fro certain - aus are gonna have to be a lot less cavalier with their reviews

IdleRich

IdleRich
My friend's facebook status this morning.

Michael Clarke yesterday had a massive tantrum about Stuart Broad not walking after edging the ball, shouting at the umpire and at Broad.
Today he demonstrated how to behave in the same situation by also refusing to walk. Sadly for him and hilariously for us he was given out on review by the third umpire.
Can we now stop imagining that cricketers walk when given out?

crackerjack

Is this so easy that everyone's losing interest? 4-0 prediction looking quite good at the moment, but I hope they put up some sort of fight - or failing that just start fighting each other. Either way they can't be that bad again.

hucks

Your Message Here
Is this so easy that everyone's losing interest? 4-0 prediction looking quite good at the moment, but I hope they put up some sort of fight - or failing that just start fighting each other. Either way they can't be that bad again.

The last test was pretty low quality all round. England's batting was poor, with some honourable exceptions (Root and Bell) and Australia were awful. I'll definitely lose interest at 3-0, though it may come back at 4-0 with one to play.

crackerjack

Well, if we're lucky that test will give England's batsmen (Bell excl) a much-needed kick up the arse. If not, they'll just think 'series won, job done' and continue to show the complacency that's made most of them look very droppable on current form.