What's your favourite album ever?

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Weirdly, since I love ''Blue'' so much, I've never listened to any of her other albums. I will now.

I'm very glad Luka is on my side anyway

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I suppose its not surprising that rock albums outnumber dance music albums on here, even though you'd expect loads of electronic music LPs - but then, dance music has never been an album orientated genre, has it? There are certainly masterpiece albums in rap but even that I wonder about - isn't rap music a singles/12" genre?

The fate of the album is interesting in these modern I-pod/spotify/on-demand times. It's going to be difficult for anything that demands more than five minutes attention to survive when everybody has everything at their fingertips, on their phone or computer. I'm not really more than ten feet away from something that I can listen to stuff on on any given day.

Leo

i've already stated my picks -- either patti smith "horses" or stooges "funhouse" -- but would also consider "the beatles" (aka the white album). not their single best but love it for the sheer range and light/dark contrasts.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Now it's looking like my list - Horses, Forever Changes and Melody Nelson all hang together sublimely. Marquee Moon as well. And The Queen is Dead. Neu 75 I guess, and doubtless other Krautrock albums - Faust IV etc. Station to Station and Diamond Dogs - how could i forget Bowie? Sly and Marvin of course as well. Ann Peebles' I Can't Stand the Rain is pretty spectacular.

I (along with most people here, I suppose) don't see the creation of a standalone 30-40 minute suite of songs as the high point of musical achievement, so I'm not especially inclined towards albums, or at least haven't been for a long while. But taking that criterion on its own merits, 60s-90s rock and soul seems likely to yield a lot of the top 20 candidates.

As to other genres, apart from those that are ultra-canonical already (Aphex, Wu-Tang, PE), it's hard to remember listening to whole albums through. I guess Marcus Garvey and Burnin' are two picks from 70s roots, which is also fertile hunting ground for cohesive albums. And the Congos, as sloane said already. But I'd take Arkology over any of those...

Last edited:

rubberdingyrapids

isn't rap music a singles/12" genre?

imo this is just something these days like to throw around cos the last 10-15 years have been like that. but from around 87 to 1996 at least, it was very much an albums genre.

anyway, the reason blue isnt the best joni album is because it doesnt have jaco pastorius on it.

CrowleyHead

imo this is just something these days like to throw around cos the last 10-15 years have been like that. but from around 87 to 1996 at least, it was very much an albums genre.

anyway, the reason blue isnt the best joni album is because it doesnt have jaco pastorius on it.

The first is rather wrong, but the 2nd is 100% accurate.

luka

I cant stand anything that cunt pastorious touches and weirdly cant listen to a single song on any joni album besides blue. they are all so wispy and noodly. blue has real emotional depth and much better lyrics than any of those Dylan/cohen people

muser

no one repping Jamaica in thread

I'd rep "The Harder They Come" OST hard, dont really listen to it anymore, dont know if comps counts either but never really felt like one to me. no chance of a decent dancehall album nowadays..i dont think its made for it, same as nuum music. If its about big hitting tunes, then a whole album of them is too much, anything that isn't basically is mediocre, bit of a catch22.

Last edited:

pennycentury

Television - Marquee Moon

No doubt. Runners up include:
Replacements - Let it Be, David Bowie - Low, Hüsker Dü - Zen Arcade, Minutemen - Double Nickels on the Dime, Queen - Sheer Heart Attack, Sleater-Kinney - Dig Me Out, Judas Priest - Sad Wings of Destiny, Descendents - Milo Goes to College, Nirvana - Bleach, Misfits - Walk Among Us, Rites of Spring - s/t, Nico - Desertshore, R.E.M. - Murmur, Wu-Tang - 36 Chambers

jackjambie

Voodoo Priest
slipknot. or tool's "lateralus." sizzla's "speak of jah." lots of greensleeves albums. king tubby, dr alimantado. the congos. syd barrett's "the madcap laughs." heavy meckle. os mutantes. razor x productions. vex'd. jefferson airplane. crass. quite excited for the new drake album...

jackjambie

Voodoo Priest
yea burning spear "marcus garvey" also, for sure. plus culture's "two sevens clash" and "harder than the rest." and the gladiators "trenchtown mix up."

obviously all the wu tang too. and boards of canada. and the most recent kuedo one.