RAP 2014

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
I was sort of joking about the coco song, its a banger though and the hook gets stuck in your head within two plays.

Don't really see what's special about the Reese tune tbh. I'd like to know how he could be considered "incredible" tbh cos to me he's the weakest of the GBE boys as a rapper. On the subject of Chicago, the new Keef tape is really worth a listen cos he produces it himself and the production is mental. Weird and grimey and minimal and amateurish, reminds me of 'Bang'.

Actual best rap songs of the last month include

Lil Boosie - No Juice, I'm Wit Ya
Bobby Shmurda - Wipe The Case Away
Future - Gangland, Hardly

"Actual best songs", you can be such a supercilious cunt sometimes. The Reese tune has soul. I love it to death, his last mixtape was dreadful. Autotune does my nut now so I can't get with alot of the others.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I was actually more talking about my own nomination of Coco than your nomination, mistersloane, though I can see how it might appear otherwise, especially as I am so often being a supercilious cunt, apparently.

I don't see how Coco is a diluted version of We Dem Boyz? I suppose it sounds similar. Never liked We Dem Boyz much tbh but then I hate Wiz so that might explain it.

Luka I will listen to Montana 300 tonight I PROMISE.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Crowley's comments re: OG Maco has me thinking about how most of us on here are from the UK. I wonder if something is lost (or just altered) in translation for us when we hear US rap? In the same way that an American might hear grime differently? I suppose this is obviously true, and opens a whole can of worms because even though I'm British e.g. I probably can't relate to grime like a kid from Bow could or whatever.

Incidentally I'm not saying anybody's right or wrong, its just interesting to consider how these things effect our response to music.

DannyL

Wild Horses
I think that's totally true. Most guys my age have never been able to graduate beyond classic NY-era styles but this is also a product of distribution networks as well - we never heard contemporary regional sounds (i.e. No Limit) when they were massive because there just were not the links present to give us an understanding of that music.

DannyL

Wild Horses
What are people feeling about Young Thug btw? He's clearly dropped some straight classics, and I'm pretty sure there are a bunch of under-the-radar burners as well. Anyone checking?