I've just decided to become a fan of The Police

john eden

male pale and stale
I mean, y'know I'm a middle aged middle class white man with a family and a job and a mortgage.

I've really got nothing to prove.

When I talk to people in their thirties where I work we've never heard of the music each other likes and we're never that bothered about it to send each other links or do CDs or whatever.

I mainly can't understand people in their 20s - and they avoid me anyway. :D

Virtually nobody gives a shit about my Maurizio Bianchi LPs or ragga sevens and that's the way it should be.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
hong kong garden isn't bad - er, dubious lyrics now i've actually listened to them

happy house i liked the sample more than the original

Last edited:

bruno

est malade
Despite Luka's protestations,I think if we're going to compare the Police to anything it should be their UK contemporaries who also took reggae as an influence, so we have the likes of The Clash, PIL, The Slits, Basement 5, Killing Joke, early Stranglers etc..., and of course the two-tone/ska movement... which is where I think you find the most suitable comparison:

Madness.
i was going to say the clash but thought they had some following here because of the reggae angle, i'm relieved that is not the case.

luka

The Clash?!?!?!? They made scintillating reggae!!! Bankrobber? Armagideon Time? These are monster reggae tracks!!!!! Even their reggae that's very scrapey and punky works better than lots of 'pure' JA reggae, for my money. ― Daniel, Friday, 9 November 2001 01:00 (13 years ago)

I don't think anyone should be criticizing the Clash... Reggae would not have the audience it does if not for the Clash.
― Dave225, Friday, 9 November 2001 01:00 (13 years ago) Permalink

john eden

male pale and stale
I love pretty much all the Clash's reggae stuff. That gangboss tune is fantastic. Their version of Police And Thieves was radiant. Also their version of Armagideon time. One More Time and One More Dub off Sandinista are as good as anything Mikey Dread has ever produced -- and there's Rockers Galore too.

Oh, and [stands up, squares up] I like the Police a lot too. It's not purist, its bastardised, and all the better for it.

Another great white reggae tune -- World Domination Enterprises, Jah Jah is Calling.

trza

Seeing Super Catt in the Sugar Ray video back in '97 started my life long love affair with island music.

Last edited: