What PostPunk has RIU&SA make you drolly over?

JimO'Brien

2stepfan said:
Didn't the bloke from the Fire Engines do a really great proto-techno tune called You've Got the Power (to Generate Fear)? Or was it the bloke from Crispy Ambulance? Not remembering this has been irritating me for weeks.

He did with a band called Win. The tune was also used for a Tennants lager add at some point in the eighties as well.

Photo of the cover attached. Obviously not a scottish baby - no batter

Don't forget he (Davey Henderson) is also the main man in The Nectarine No. 9 - who also now feature ex- Pop Group people - a post punk supergroup.

Last edited:

jenks

thread death
hamarplazt said:
Oh come on people, this is getting pathetic. Do Simon have to approve of something before you can buy it? How about using your own ears. Recommendations are fine, but they should help you to get ideas of what to check out, not tell you what to like. I haven't got the book yet, but from the discographies I can see that he isn't that warm about Mark of the Mole and The Tunes of Two Cities, and they happen to be some of my all time favorite Residents albums, much more that the super trendy Third Reich'n'Roll. And Commercial Album is excellent.

QUOTE]
the album cost £15 and it was not top of my list - i would love to open my ears if i had been able to hear it - i had just read reynolds on residents the day before. that's what reviews can do - point us in the right direction, i've been reading reynolds for the about 15 odd years and has very rarely let me down. thanks for calling me pathetic, fortunately my self esteem can just about cope.

hamarplazt

100% No Soul Guaranteed
Ness Rowlah said:
and

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Oh come on people, this is getting pathetic. Do Simon have to approve of something before you can buy it?

and

Quote:
not least I'd like to see if he can make me "get" canonic albums like Metal Box or Suicide, which I've had for a long time, but never really felt.

Is there an element of self-contradiction here?
Well, an element maybe. But the point is more that everybody seems to think these records are amazing, and I've never been amazed by them, and I know Reynolds love them too, so I'm interested in hearing some (I hope) in depth analysis of what is supposed to be so great. Maybe I'll get some points I've missed, or I can learn to appreceate them on some other level. In any case, I suppose that it's a good opportunity to try and give these albums a second (or tenth or something like that) chance while reading about them, see if it manage to alter the experience.

Anyway, I finally got the book today. Except for being disappointed that the Alan Ravenstine quote have been put on the back cover in stead of the front (I loooove Ravenstine), it's looking good and I'm quite exited to get going.

hamarplazt

100% No Soul Guaranteed
jenks said:
the album cost £15 and it was not top of my list - i would love to open my ears if i had been able to hear it
Well, it's quite understandable then. It just seemed like such a shame to me if Reynolds word is the only thing deciding if a record is checked out or not.

jenks said:
thanks for calling me pathetic, fortunately my self esteem can just about cope.
It wasn't aimed at you but rather at the whole attitude that sometimes creep into parts of this forum. As much as I admire Reynolds writing, I really wouldn't like if it became some kind of final answer list. Like every other writer he have blindspots, and I would miss a lot of my favorite music if I'd only followed his recommendations.

Woebot

Also this compilation which apparently comes with a book on the Neue Deutsche Welle:

Jurgen Teipel's Verschwende Deine Jugend (Suhrkamp Taschenbuch)

(the Mittagspause tracks sound like they might be amazing)

3underscore

jenks said:
the album cost £15 and it was not top of my list - i would love to open my ears if i had been able to hear it - i had just read reynolds on residents the day before. that's what reviews can do

Understandable, but with a band like the Residents I think you take your risks and just jump in - compared to most of the bands in post-punk, the Residents have one of largest sets of recorded output. Take into the fact that Third Reich and Roll doesn't come cheap (in fact - nothing by them is pretty cheap), and I would feel that a guidance of two albums is unfair on the band. More a Bowie / Miles Davis "timebased" recommendation would be better to my mind.

It is funny that you write as though you hadn't heard the Residents before reading and were immediately tempted to buy the record the next day.

jenks

thread death
had hear dof them obviously but have rarely seen any of their stuff, also as you rightly say there is a lot of their stuff out there - would be interested in what's what with them but £15 is a lot to just jump in these days. finding residents album in my local shop was a bit of a surprise i must say.

francesco

Minerva Estassi
WOEBOT said:
Also this compilation which apparently comes with a book on the Neue Deutsche Welle:
Verschwende Deine Jugend (Suhrkamp Taschenbuch)
(the Mittagspause tracks sound like they might be amazing)

The double cd and the book are selled separately, beware the book is in german language only!

B0000658XF.03.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Disc 1
1.MITTAGSPAUSE - Testbild
2.MITTAGSPAUSE - Innenstadtfront
3.MALE - Risikofaktor 1:X
4.MALE - Zensur, Zensur
5.S.Y.P.H. - Zurück zum Beton
6.S.Y.P.H. - Industriemädchen
7.S.Y.P.H. - Lachleute, Nettmenschen
8.NEONBABIES - Eisenleer (Depressiv)
9.NEONBABIES - Blaue Augen
10.HANS-A-PLAST - Man Of Stone
11.KFC - Stumpf ist Trumpf
12.MITTAGSPAUSE - Herrenreiter
13.DIE FEHLFARBEN - Abenteuer & Freiheit
14.ÖSTRO 430 - Sei Lieb
15.EDE UND DIE ZIMMERMÄNNER - So froh
16.DER PLAN - Wir werden immer mehr
17.D.A.F. - Ich und die Wirklichkeit
18.D.A.F. - Kebabträume
19.THE WIRTSCHAFTSWUNDER - Metall
20.PYROLATOR - It always rain in Wuppertal
21.FRIEDER BUTZMANN - Waschsalon Berlin
22.MANIA D. - Herzschlag
23.EINSTÜRZENDE NEUBAUTEN - Zuckendes Fleisch
24.ABWÄRTS - Computerstaat
25.HORST HEROLD - Wir kriegen sie alle

Disc 2
1.DER PLAN - Da vorne steht ne Ampel
2.DER LACHENDE PAPST - Sehnsucht nach dem Osten
3.THE WIRTSCHAFTSWUNDER - Kommissar
4.DIE RADIERER Angriff - aufs Schlaraffenland
5.DIE FEHLFARBEN - Apokalypse
6.DIE FEHLFARBEN - Gott sei Dank nicht in England
7.KFC - Wie lange noch
8.ZK - Dosenbier
9.ZK - In der Ecke stehn
10.FREIWILLIGE SELBSTKONTROLLE (FSK)- Was kostet die Welt
11.PALAIS SCHAUMBURG - Telefon
12.ANDREAS DORAU & DIE MARINAS - Tulpen und Narzissen
13.ANDREAS DORAU & DIE MARINAS - Fred vom Jupiter
14.DIE KRUPPS - Wahre Arbeit, wahrer Lohn
15.PALAIS SCHAUMBURG - Wir bauen eine neue Stadt
16.EINSTÜRZENDE NEUBAUTEN - Kalte Sterne
17.DIE TÖDLICHE DORIS - 7 tödliche Unfälle im Haushalt
18.MALARIA! - Your turn to run
19.TOMMI STUMPFF - Ich will gewinnen
20.PYROLATOR - 180°
21.LIAISONS DANGEREUSES - Etre assis ou danser
22.D.A.F. - Verschwende Deine Jugend
23.XAO SEFFCHEQUE - Happy New Wave
24.DIE TOTEN HOSEN - Jürgen Engler

If ordering beware of the film of the same name soundtrack as the o.s.t. cd has the same title (but is a single cd and has more canonic and not only deutsch post punk choises (cure, human league, xtc, etc.)). Best place to get the double is amazon.de

B00009UWF4.03.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

francesco

Minerva Estassi
Australian Post-Punk is also very good:

B000088DTM.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

DISC 1
Burned My Eye (orig version) - Radio Birdman
This Perfect Day (orig version) - The Saints
I'm Flipped Out Over You - The Victims
Sunset Strip - The Riptides
Horizontal Action - Psycho Surgeons:
Cigarettes & Alcohol - The Leftovers
Chelsea Kids - La Femme
Frantic Romantic - The Scientists
Government Boy - Numbers
Standing By the Window - Tactics
Hindu Gods Of Love - Lipstick Killers
When the Birdman Fly - Fun Things
Face With No Name - The Passengers
Brother John (orig version) - The Visitors
Happy Birthday - The Birthday Party
Sometimes (I Just Can't Live With Anyone) - Laughing Clowns
I Belong to Nobody - Flaming Hands
Love To Rule (orig version) - Sunnyboys
New King Jack - Sekret Sekret
No Word From China - Pel Mel
Taels of the Saeghors - Makers of the Dead Travel Fast:
Sudan - Sardine
Standing On Wires - Do Re Mi

DISC 2
We Had Love - Scientists
The Disciples Know - The Moodists
Beautiful Waste - The Triffids
Half Way Round the World (orig version) - X
Ocean Liner - Lighthouse Keepers
Another Day in the Sun - The Moffs
Ambergris - Died Pretty
Julie is a Junkie - The Eastern Dark
No Next Time - The New Christs
The Living Kind - Ups & Downs
Also Sprach the King of Euro-Disco - Ed Kuepper
With Which to Love You - Bamboos
Sailors Dream - Wet Taxis
Dad - Thug
Walking About - Venom P. Stinger
My Pal - God
Lords Of Summer - The Mark Of Cain
Know You Now - Someloves
Johnny _ The Celebrate Rifles
Lost Cause - Cosmic Psychos
I Didn't See Them At All - Plunderers
Just Being With You - Hard-Ons

Last edited:

carlos

manos de piedra
that should be the Celibate Rifles

great, great band...

the NZ post-punk bands where pretty great too- The Gordons especially

Woebot

cool. thx everyone for the info. esp jon dale and franceso (blows kisses)

actually though i've been very disappointed by australian post-punk (philT is gonna be furious with me) its very rockist (as opposed to Rockist ;))

has anyone picked up the brazilian post-punk comp that soul jazz have issued? is it even out yet. i was quite confused by this because one of my correspondents andy cumming who is based out there, and who wrote the linernotes on the favela boot beats comp, has also masterminded a brazilian post-punk compilation called nao wave. is this the same comp as soul jazz's? i suspect not.....

francesco

Minerva Estassi
WOEBOT said:
has anyone picked up the brazilian post-punk comp that soul jazz have issued? is it even out yet. i was quite confused by this because one of my correspondents andy cumming who is based out there, and who wrote the linernotes on the favela boot beats comp, has also masterminded a brazilian post-punk compilation called nao wave. is this the same comp as soul jazz's? i suspect not.....

From the Forced Exposure site I read there are only three songs that are the same overlapping on the two compilations (yes they are different, very funny, nobody ever heard of Brasilian post-punk and then two comps at the same time).
Yes australian post-punk is often very rock and 60's garage influenced, at last the tracks and groups that i have heard, which obviously are only a fragment of the whole scene.

A couple of italian post-punk comps are on the way, one more focused on the experimental really new wave/post-punk, about the "Italian records" label (gaznevada pre italodisco period, stupid set, noia, etc.); another one a double cd on post-punk/hardcore-punk, which in italy was much more massive in the eigthies (negazione, raw power, etc.). Don't expect really too much in term of quality anyway (a few of tracks excepted), but i will add information when those come out.

gaz

Tales from the underground isn't really a representative aussie post punk comp. "Can't stop it" is better, and Phil's own handmade jobs are best of all.

withnail

gaz said:
Tales from the underground isn't really a representative aussie post punk comp. "Can't stop it" is better, and Phil's own handmade jobs are best of all.

That's correct, most of the music from Tales From The Underground (which must have been taken from my record collection:eek:)) isn't really post-punk as such.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
To get back to the book, I'm a little disappointed that avant-funk artists like 23 Skidoo or A Certain Ratio (plus also, This Heat) don't get more coverage. Surprises me a little, and most of the chapters are over just as I'm getting really interested.

Of course that's the danger with a book covering so much territory. Sterling effort in general though, and reading it has really ignited my interest in the subject.

mms

sometimes
baboon2004 said:
To get back to the book, I'm a little disappointed that avant-funk artists like 23 Skidoo or A Certain Ratio (plus also, This Heat) don't get more coverage. Surprises me a little, and most of the chapters are over just as I'm getting really interested.

Of course that's the danger with a book covering so much territory. Sterling effort in general though, and reading it has really ignited my interest in the subject.

seems like half the point bud- 'pick up the pieces and roll in with it 'style

3underscore

Following three days of half-assed looking, I finally found my copy of "Are we not men?". Hidden behind so many other good records mind, it was quite a fun (if frustrating) hunt.