Status
Not open for further replies.

Leo

aquatic suicide vibes

cool. would that be considered Cold Wave? I'm naturally drawn to that genre, love the amateurish, weird low-budget feel, but at the same time a bit put off but the oftentimes phony S&M posturing and invariable disaffected vocals. if yr into that stuff, you should start a thread, I'd love to learn more.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
cool. would that be considered Cold Wave? I'm naturally drawn to that genre, love the amateurish, weird low-budget feel, but at the same time a bit put off but the oftentimes phony S&M posturing and invariable disaffected vocals. if yr into that stuff, you should start a thread, I'd love to learn more.

my interest only really extends to the stuff that trax/carlos souffront would play, so chicago/detroit nerd techno heads. there's a lot of terrible ebm/coldwave out there.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
I love the spanish stuff from dame area, esplendor geometrico, but that's more powernoise/rhythmic noise. as a continuum that sound is fascinating, would highly recommend the first winterkalte album on ant-zen, it's basically industrial techno, but without trad techno beats. at least 20 years before that poseur vatican shadow decided he would wank off journos. really quite amazing stuff for 96.

boxedjoy

I really struggle with vocals like that, "I'm a sexy dominatrix and you've been a naughty boy and I'm going to give you a leather spanking" it's all a bit Carry On Up The Sex Dungeon isn't it

Leo

This kind of thing?

sort of, although that reminds me more of "fred von Jupiter"! it's got the right homemade, lo-fi feel but I like the darker style. the decedents of "warm leatherette". seem to be a fair amount of French and Eastern European groups.

IdleRich

IdleRich
sort of, although that reminds me more of "fred von Jupiter"! it's got the right homemade, lo-fi feel but I like the darker style. the decedents of "warm leatherette". seem to be a fair amount of French and Eastern European groups.
I meant that that was an example of the Carry On Up The Sex Dungeon that BJ was talking about. But obviously it's kinda tonue in cheek.

Leo

I don't know that stuff, will check it out. maybe also what's referred to as synth wave, like on the minimal wave label/comps.

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
would that be considered Cold Wave?
I would call it straightforward EBM, a modern pastiche of classic 80s EBM

coldwave - the way minimal waves type ppl use it at least - is yeah a specific mostly French take on 80s minimal diy synth i.e.

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
obviously it has some similarities to EBM, it's all in the larger extended universe of early 80s synth music

EBM is more aggressive, sexual, the vocals tend to be shoutier i.e. DAF, Liaisons Dangereuses

they have common ancestors - Warm Leatherette, Suicide Commando, Tuxedomoon - No Tears, etc

Reactions: Leo

Leo

yup. EBM can also be better produced, slicker, more professional sounding (nitzer ebb etc.), which is fine but I like the low-fi, cheap sounding stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.