Status
Not open for further replies.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Also, 'Water Music' was composed for a river concert by request of King George I. So hardly intended to be profound in the first place.

And titles like this clearly indicate this wasn't intended as music for introspection

craner

Beast of Burden
It's not spreading the word of jazz or enlightening the masses that I'm talking about. It's more of a phenomenological thing: who is to say that Miles Davis being played in Starbucks relegates his music to the background or neutralises it? People go about their days and lives -- including the time they buy a coffee and sit there drinking it -- dealing with all sorts of deep or shallow or fleeting emotions and feelings and so a piece of music can easily hit them at an odd angle or magnify something in a profound way at any time or location, by pure chance. That's not an illegitimate or unimportant response. Lying on a sofa with headphones on studying every intricate production detail is not the only way to engage with music.

craner

Beast of Burden
The other thing is -- and this may be hard for people like us to understand -- not everybody is affected or struck by a piece of music and then immediately has to rush out and buy the entire back catalogue.

craner

Beast of Burden
Also, let's be realistic, the music that is played when you are put on hold is never as good as Kind of Blue.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy

Davina - Don't You Want It

Think I got this off the deep house thread. This is so good I feel like I must have already known it, but maybe that's just because it's so good it sounds like something I should have already known.

Leo

Davina - Don't You Want It

Think I got this off the deep house thread. This is so good I feel like I must have already known it, but maybe that's just because it's so good it sounds like something I should have already known.

mad mike from underground resistance in house mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.