Artificial intelligence officially gets scary

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
I think we'll be absolutely fucked once consciousness is demystified. Look at the way the people in power behave, and have always behaved.
True, but I’m not convinced this is necessarily a problem, or at least a permanent one. It seems like unprecedented wealth inequality is compossible with unprecedented societal prosperity. If having a god class of elites is the price humanity pays for greater fulfillment for the middle bulk of humans, is that not a reasonable arrangement?

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
what's next, selective breeding? übermensch?
Almost inevitably. But to my understanding we are still creating the most basic of tools for purposes of genetic engineering, although I’m hardly versed on the state of the field.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
Beyond genetic engineering, I think once consciousness is demystified, we can finally have proper hive minds.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
It all fits together. LSD as a catalyst for temporary ego loss, perhaps the inspiration for Fisher’s so-called Acid Communism.

A communally telepathic hive mind species cosmoforming its own fractally complex metaverse, an artificial cosmos perhaps not unlike our “natural” one.

Leo

True, but I’m not convinced this is necessarily a problem...If having a god class of elites is the price humanity pays for greater fulfillment for the middle bulk of humans, is that not a reasonable arrangement?

you might not realize how scary that sounds.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
Also that “god class” scenario is a very conservative estimate in regards to the potential for decentralized digital governance and ownership. Apparently Colorado has experimented with quadratic voting.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
Not really, but maybe “god class” is an exaggeration. I expect the system to be far too complex for a central entity to control. That said, they may exercise power on a level that is orders of magnitude higher than the average human. In any case, profit isn’t antipathetic so much as it is apathetic, hence why I expect a blend of utopia and dystopia.