yyaldrin

in je ogen waait de wind
there's always a "final" battle, but it's never really the final battle, it exhausts me. it's like what we do with these lockdowns. first we have the small lockdown, then we have the clever lockdown, then we have the ultimate lockdown, then we have the lockdown that will end all lockdowns, and you know there's gonna be another one afterwards again.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Marvel movies are like the theatre in Elizabethan London - the finest creative minds are attracted to them because they pay serious wonga.

Actually masques is probably a better comparison, cos they cost bare Ps, they're spectacular and fairly shallow.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I agree with yyyaldrin re: the final battles. This is a problem the Avengers films in particular have had because you've got a team of superpowerful heroes, what enemy can they fight that possibly has a chance? The answer is almost always a gagillion aliens/cyborgs. And then every hero has to have their moment, which in the last Avengers film means about 20 heroes fighting at once with a gagillion CGI drones. So it becomes exhausting and of course less thrilling.

The economics involved in superhero movies means they generally have to stick to a conventional format which includes a gigantic CGI battle which is what all the punters are paying for.

I guess what's interesting in MCU films is how the filmmakers stretch those conventions or find ways to inject some freshness into them.

muser

I agree with yyyaldrin re: the final battles. This is a problem the Avengers films in particular have had because you've got a team of superpowerful heroes, what enemy can they fight that possibly has a chance? The answer is almost always a gagillion aliens/cyborgs. And then every hero has to have their moment, which in the last Avengers film means about 20 heroes fighting at once with a gagillion CGI drones. So it becomes exhausting and of course less thrilling.

The economics involved in superhero movies means they generally have to stick to a conventional format which includes a gigantic CGI battle which is what all the punters are paying for.

I guess what's interesting in MCU films is how the filmmakers stretch those conventions or find ways to inject some freshness into them.

This is my issue with modern action movies in general and especially marvel, too much going on at once for too long, I've got about a 10 to 15 minute window of wooshing noises and dead people flying off in different directions and I shut off, gives me a headache.

luka

you have to train yourself to take it. Become superhuman. Push your limits. Corpsey can do 45 minutes.

version

They lower the stakes in some of them, e.g. Ant-Man and Spider-Man: Homecoming. It's refreshing after all the saving world stuff to just have them trying to deal with local criminals, robbers etc.

luka

Avengers Assemble is a funny one cos it opens with this terrible made-for-TV action scene and then the last 45 minutes or whatever is a brilliant extended action scene that turns me at least into an 8 year old child punching the air.

45 minutes

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Corpsey is MCU better than Shakespeare in your opinion or is it a spurious comparison?
I was being somewhat facetious ofc but at the same time it is true (Jenks to correct me here) that in Shakespeare's day the theatre was a money spinner, a popular entertainment that was deemed inferior to poetry. Shakespeare notoriously doesn't seem to have valued his plays as much as his poetry. It's also true that while Shakespeare wasn't dealing with a multinational corporation, he was writing propagandistic plays. He was giving the people what they wanted, and what the monarchy/government wanted them to want.

In practice, ofc, with Disney/Marvel Studios overseeing things, the space for creative people to be creative within the MCU system is very limited. That's why Jacobian Masques are a better comparison - they were lavish, extremely high budget and high paying entertainments, and correspondingly shallow, jingoistic, conventional. But you had some very clever people writing them (Ben Jonson, e.g.), on account of the wonga.

luka

The lefty liberal bleeding heart journalist abandons all her principles once she gets the opportunity to be ploughed by the rich man. Typical eh

catalog

I must admit I've no idea what a jacobian masque is but they sound a bit like ones in game of thrones? Where people act out the issues of the day and there's more audience involvement?

Corpsey

bandz ahoy

After the Union of the Crowns, at the court of James I and Anne of Denmark, narrative elements of the masque became more significant. Plots were often on classical or allegorical themes, glorifying the royal or noble sponsor. At the end, the audience would join with the actors in a final dance. Ben Jonson wrote a number of masques with stage design by Inigo Jones. Their works are usually thought of as the most significant in the form. Samuel Daniel and Sir Philip Sidney also wrote masques.

William Shakespeare included a masque-like interlude in The Tempest, understood by modern scholars to have been heavily influenced by the masques of Ben Jonson and the stagecraft of Inigo Jones.