craner

Beast of Burden
craners racist against ukranians!

I was just respectfully pointing out to version that he shouldn't be so surprised by the extent of contemporary Ukrainian antisemitism, because that kind of poison doesn't disappear very easily. Poland has never really managed to exorcise its cultural antisemitism either, despite the fact that the Nazis and their collaboraters successfully murdered 90% of the Polish Jews. It's not helped by the fact that Eastern and Central European countries have never had to fully account for their own role in the Holocaust because the focus was always on German culpability (quite rightly).

This is not the same as saying that Ukraine is now ruled by neonazis, which has been the Russian propaganda line since 2014 and is a bit rich considering Russia's political culture is closer to classical fascism than Ukraine's was (until today).

version

This is not the same as saying that Ukraine is now ruled by neonazis, which has been the Russian propaganda line since 2014 and is a bit rich considering Russia's political culture is closer to classical fascism than Ukraine's was (until today).
Apparently there's at least one neo-Nazi group on the Russian side too,

shakahislop

it's going to be interesting to watch the cultural fallout from this i think. some portion of the UK public becoming increasingly militaristic. russo-phobia.

if it creates a lot of refugees it will also be interesting to see whether western European publics are more accommodating than they have been for Syrians and other non-white people

version

it's going to be interesting to watch the cultural fallout from this i think. some portion of the UK public becoming increasingly militaristic. russo-phobia.

if it creates a lot of refugees it will also be interesting to see whether western European publics are more accommodating than they have been for Syrians and other non-white people
There's already a fair bit of Russophobia amongst Remainers.

shakahislop

are you in kyiv now shaka?
i was actually supposed to be there right now, but the trip got cancelled a few days ago (was of course looking less and less likely as time went on anyway). glad i'm not there, but on the other hand I am badly hungover right now after one too many ales at a doom metal gig (YOB), so maybe it would have been better to be over there

shakahislop

i was actually supposed to be there right now, but the trip got cancelled a few days ago (was of course looking less and less likely as time went on anyway). glad i'm not there, but on the other hand I am badly hungover right now after one too many ales at a doom metal gig (YOB), so maybe it would have been better to be over there
also i want to talk about this gig and surprisingly there isn't a thread for doom metal. i went with a colleague who is a woman in her 40s who went to see megadeath once and wanted someone to see some metal with. i picked this band YOB coz i've always quite liked the doom thing. and then we went and it was a million times more intense than i expected. properly loud and they were playing properly aggressively, heavy. i thought it would have more of a groove but they were more into that overpowering bass thing. it was brilliant. kind of dark. and surprisingly my mate loved it. i was worried for her when they started, thought it might be a bit much.

yyaldrin

in je ogen waait de wind
why were you supposed to be there?

shakahislop

also i want to talk about this gig and surprisingly there isn't a thread for doom metal. i went with a colleague who is a woman in her 40s who went to see megadeath once and wanted someone to see some metal with. i picked this band YOB coz i've always quite liked the doom thing. and then we went and it was a million times more intense than i expected. properly loud and they were playing properly aggressively, heavy. i thought it would have more of a groove but they were more into that overpowering bass thing. it was brilliant. kind of dark. and surprisingly my mate loved it. i was worried for her when they started, thought it might be a bit much.
that's the only reason i mentioned it in my other post. i wanted to talk about it. its all sleight of hand

shakahislop

why were you supposed to be there?
work, doing some stuff with one of the ministries there. not saying any more because we don't want to get dissensus targeted by a putin DDoS cyber offensive. although i reckon we could fight them off. IQ Magical Thinker 144 was an opening parry from putin and we've done alright with that