wild greens

Britain used to be the bank, at least. I would assume the washing mechanism so deeply embedded in London is enough to see it through

craner

Beast of Burden
I think its Vim's "hey this is total rational, fair enough, Captain Kirk" tone that does my head in. States obviously look after their own interests. They can be extremely cruel and unjust in doing so. One of the virtues of living in a democracy is you can protest against it when they start to shit all over people and (try and) hold them to account.

It's a slightly more refined version of this routine:

1709328075317.png

craner

Beast of Burden
John Mearsheimer appeared on a pod this week with Aaron Maté and Katie Halper. Gone full tankie genocide denialist without any of this veneer.

This whole resurgence of realism gives itself away by displaying a staggering disregard for the agency of people and amazing ignorance or incuriosity about things it claims mastery of.

vimothy

yurp
maybe that's true, but there are structural factors which will play the same way regardless of whoever is in charge.

vimothy

yurp
and when you think of the relationship between europe and russia, for example, its that structural relationship which defines it

Bitcoin is the "reserve". Sovereign bitcoin and sovereign AI are the themes that will dominate the next quarter century, America's remaining influence will be exerted there, but it has a monopoly on neither.

craner

Beast of Burden
and when you think of the relationship between europe and russia, for example, its that structural relationship which defines it

This is a very partial and parched view of the world and what happens in it.

It seems to me you started to reeducate yourself 20 years ago by taking conservative thinkers seriously and studying economics. Both of these things are admirable and worthwhile endeavours. It's a shame that all that work has left you with such a narrow perspective on human affairs.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
they're definitely is. but that doesn't mean thre's nothing in it. the US will want to maintain access to oil etc. you can see the way it moves to secure its interests. thats geopolitics. britain hasnt got the muscle to play that game any more.
The USA is currently a net oil exporter.

DannyL

Wild Horses
The Problem is not Russia or China, it's America's reaction to losing its place in the world. The UK will have to make a choice soon.
You were literally saying upthread that Germany is going to team up with Russia upthread which is a completely absurd and mad proposition. The most sucessful European democracy team up with a hugely corrupt impoverished autocracy. The "America is losing its power" thing is mostly fan fiction written by tankies. Trump will do his best if he gets in but he'll face lots of institutional resistance.