luka

this is one area where you will just have to accept that i can speak with a certain degree of authority. i am the same age as wiley. i grew up in stratford. all this happened right under my nose. i can't 'debate' it with you im sorry.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
this is one area where you will just have to accept that i can speak with a certain degree of authority. i am the same age as wiley. i grew up in stratford. all this happened right under my nose. i can't 'debate' it with you im sorry.

i don't mind that but then just cos barty parrots ur line like a good doggy is a bit much. as if he speaks with authority.

luka

ok. i won't argue with it at all. just lay out the case you want to make. i wont dispute it or challenge it. just put it on the record. don't feel it's not allowed to be expressed. tell the story.
the dubstep story.

luka

i actually do think i can see where you're coming from now. i just want to confirm it. if it's what i think it is i probably agree with it to some degree.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
theres no story to tell ffs. by 2005 a dubstep sound existed and that was that. it got pushed to its logical extreme and like drum and bass before it became about the most scientifically engineered tracks. there is a purism in that but its mistake is in believing it escapes market cycles.

but conversely, who cares if someone is making revival jungle or zomby making revival eski. it's like the fetishism of progress. but instead of progress being a ripping apart its conceptualised as a bin, where all history that isn't liked goes. i can't say i click with that approach.

this is why keeping up with new dance music is too much effort for me it's like until class society is abolished we're going to have these cycles no matter how hard people try to resist. That's why im about what sounds like the sonic thrill to me ears.

Last edited:

luka

it's not the fetishisation of progress. it is about time and history and the struggle of each generation to assert itself.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
it's not the fetishisation of progress. it is about time and history and the struggle of each generation to assert itself.

well my generation is asserting itself through UK drill i guess. I don't think thats as revolutionary as grime, though im converted and its quite interesting.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
will go on an slsk spree to try and understand this stuff offline. tho i fear the cool kids aren't using it now.

Last edited:

luka

do you see what i mean though? i do want to try and wriggle free of this 'progress' thing. i think that's the bladerunner mentality where the game 'how do it make futuristic sounds.' but the truth is that you are the future. it exists within you. trying to make something sound futuristic automatically makes it sound retro. keudo is a decent example of this tendency.

luka

i get agitated and sometimes aggressive/defensive when i feel people are trying to dismiss me by calling me names. if you can identify me with the mean name you can write me off. like padraig tried to do yesterday and you tried to do now.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
this is not to invalidate your point mind. i just there is something inherent in the logical marketing cycles of theswe genres that pushes them towards these limits. it's the way club music, despite its social aspect isn't really a spontaneous happening or can exceed its built in bounds of spatiotemperality.

Aka it's not like improv. its not a happening. this is key. this is what i think we need to discuss. some of the algorave guys are trying to break this cycle but its very much in the nerd stage atm.

IdleRich

IdleRich
10 pages out of date now but when you lot were talking about how nothing can cover all bases it reminded me a lot of Godel's Incompleteness - (in layman's terms) any (logical) system has blindspots (true statements that can't be proven) and even if you then design a change to the system to cover those blindspots, the act of changing it in that way will create new ones.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
on the zomby thing: idk im wary of people sticking in boxes its like the british state trying to hamper inter-class and inter-racial mixing by forcing islam on asian folks through their communities, state funding of counter-terrorist initiatives, quilliam, funding for religious community centres and mosques and leaders (labour communitarianism) injunctions for well behaviour in cermons, the fash think this is a threat against their wretched british ways of life but actually it's the complete opposite, it's a completely civilising mission. brown atheist communist single mum barbarians are more threatening to labour and the tories.

so idk how to approach the student/m/c thing on a political level.

Last edited: