luka

glad i'm not the only one annoyed by how self conscious / performative boiler room dancing tends to look. i was going to mention that but thought maybe it was just me.

how could it be otherwise. the situation makes it inevitable.

luka

the cameras on, there's a worldwide audience of millions, now lose all your inhibitions and dance the night away.

luka

without sweating or taking drugs. and with all the lights on. and it's probably mid afternoon.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy

Probably too dry an analysis for some of you but I quite enjoyed it and I agree with him re: the creation of uncertainty. Also you get to see some hilarious clips from the TV adaptation they did to please Stephen King.

luka

mvuent where has that interesting and difficult question you asked gone please? can you reinstate it?

luka

the consensus about the shining is that it is the least frightening horror movie ever made. so unfrightening that many people are reluctant to classsify it as a horror movie at all.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
the consensus about the shining is that it is the least frightening horror movie ever made. so unfrightening that many people are reluctant to classsify it as a horror movie at all.

What's the most terrifying

I refuse to believe you'd even admit to being scared by a movie

luka

the thing i can remember being most scared by was a halloween special of quantum leap.

version

mvuent where has that interesting and difficult question you asked gone please? can you reinstate it?
(for anyone ITT)

suppose you're only hearing this stuff in a decontextualized form: on youtube, not in a social gathering of any kind (and lacking experience with the intended audience). in that scenario, do you think you can hear this difference in intent/design, generally? can you judge just from listening in your room—idm style—that mark fell is kind of danceable, but jungle is “precision tooled” for danceability?

(and yeah, i realize it’s a question only a hopeless nerd would ask. that's obviously why i asked it. …do have my own ideas about how this dynamic works, though)

version

I'd say the scariest films I've seen are Eyes Wide Shut, The Shining, Fire Walk With Me, Return to Oz, Pet Semetary and Repulsion.

luka

there have been other things that scared me but this is the only thing i can remember being scared by

luka

a lot of Kubrick has this quality of silliness and it's not clear what it's status is, whether or not it is deliberate, and if it is deliberate, what it is supposed to signify. that silliness creates a great deal of the uncannyness of his work.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
If I had to classify it I'd say it's a very dark comedy.

Mainly due to him making Danny and Wendy so annoying that you're actually quite sympathetic to Jack when he grabs the axe.

luka

obviously it's not a factor in clockwork orange or dr strangelove where the silliness is all part of the fun, but it's of a more ambiguous nature in the shining, 2001 and in eyes wide shut. is it an aesthetic clumsiness and a lack of emotional intelligence, or is it a deliberate strategy? the bear blow job, the dancing skeletons, the ape fight and so on and so forth