sadmanbarty

emotion dispensed so rapidly as to become information. they are signals, no longer feelings.

red is no longer rothko, but a flashing emergency light.

thirdform, is this an example of breaking down the binary?

employing the lexicon of one end of the polarity to attain the effects of the opposite.

luka

I'm inclined to think that it is difficult to map a space without poles. Without axes. But perhaps I'm not using my imagination. Help me.

Sophie can and does traverse the entire field. Multidimensional affect space. But how does she describe what she encounters?

luka

It identifies, names and describes states and plots them, flags in a map and points on a graph, against any number of axes and dimensions. Of temperature for instance; is this not one way we measure our states; in degrees of heat and cold? In terms of humidity also, along an axis of moisture and aridity.
In terms of density and weight and the various types of structural strength. In terms of tautness and slackness, tension and relaxation, alertness and ease and so many more.

Turned inside out it becomes visible and tangible as landscape, terrain, topography, climate, atmosphere, materials and forces and words become a log of places visited and conditions encountered, endured and enjoyed and perhaps, also, some hint of how to get there, what current to catch or wind to chase or star to set your sights on, whether reliable and replicable or misleading.

luka

yeh cos women don't work in the factories innit.

This is what im trying to do, break down the binaries and noone's helping. let's talk about sophie then. where does she fit on this axis?

Thirdforms mate. She works in a factory.

sadmanbarty

This makes me think that third's thing of antihuman machine music has to lean toward the masculine.

but the way he describes it's effects as very womb like. he likes tons of stimulation shot at him at very high velocity so as to become in utero.

version

yeh cos women don't work in the factories innit.

That isn't what I'm saying at all. I'm saying that according to barty's qualities of masculine and feminine music, the tunes you posted sound more masculine to me because they sound like machines and machines fit the apparently masculine qualities of "velocity, fight, movement, processing of events and information" much more than the apparently feminine qualities of "rest, breath, taste, surrender and skin".

The production line comment was in reference to the machines which make up the production line, not the people who work on them. The image I had was of pistons and a conveyor belt running at high-speed, the machines operating by themselves with a disembodied female vocal on top.

luka

masculine music is the phenomenology of velocity, feminine music is the phenomenology of physiology.

this speaks to the cognitive processes of of fight vs surrender. movement vs rest.

feminine music intimately and precisely maps out the body; breathy vocals, the way it textural on the skin, it's preoccupation with taste. these are only entertained by our cognition when we're inactive.

when you get punched you don't actually feel the pain till after the fight's over. masculine music is about processing of events and information (often rapidly).

I think you are describing two different modes of arousal. Sexual arousal and the arousal of violence. Both make us superhuman.

sadmanbarty

version prepare yourself for thirdform spending the next 6 months laying down acme contractions in a tom and jerry-style attempt to say you're bourgious/an oxford don/ don't understand the hardcore continuum/and generally wrong about everything.

godspeed

version

version prepare yourself for thirdform spending the next 6 months laying down acme contractions in a tom and jerry-style attempt to say you're bourgious/an oxford don/ don't understand the hardcore continuum/and generally wrong about everything.

godspeed

If he does, it's your fault. I'm working from your reference points here.

version

The fact I imagined machines operating by themselves and a disembodied human voice is quite telling though. It suggests that the masculine/feminine poles probably aren't sufficient or even appropriate.

sadmanbarty

The fact I imagined machines operating by themselves and a disembodied human voice is quite telling though. It suggests that the masculine/feminine poles probably aren't sufficient or even appropriate.

you'll need to explain that one to me. i don't get it.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
but the way he describes it's effects as very womb like. he likes tons of stimulation shot at him at very high velocity so as to become in utero.

This is correct. I associate a lot of metal with masculine music according to your definition. it's all very fight and flight but conscious of that and the euphoria is not so much oblivion or plateau but the adrenaline rush. hence the melodies are so hackneyed. It is so aggressively, clinically tonal. there is nothing to get there unless you are into order and 19th century christian supremacist rationality. Coltrane could write tunes at high velocity and yet he had the communion outside the body, or in the womb, or in the ocean. Metal does not do that. listen to this:

Last edited:

luka

Sometimes it's best not to ask. But obviously it's not as simple as I made it out to be. Boundaries blur.

You're the sex man, the new cross cassanova. Make this better. where thresholds get crossed. What kind of intensities are proper to which stage and sphere.