Skrewdriver - the ultimate punk band

Rachel Verinder

Well, along with Elvis "I was joking, honest, my best mate is blind" Costello, they did some of the groundwork, but ultimately didn't have the oomph to follow it through. Kind of like Spurs, it saddens me to say, but let's not get into football. See, Eric played the blues badly too - if he'd stuck to his guns

He has stuck to his guns about what he said. He was interviewed in Uncut last year, stands by every word and says more people should have listened to Enoch.

martin

----
Rachel Verinder said:
He has stuck to his guns about what he said. He was interviewed in Uncut last year, stands by every word and says more people should have listened to Enoch.

Well, I suppose we're dealing with the kind of juvenile sexual sociopath who goes around writing "EC WAS ERE" in lipstick on his groupies' backs. Actually, him supporting Enoch seems so apt, for a reason I can't quite articulate right now.

qwerty south

no use for a witticism
The Klansman (Ian Stuart of Skrewdriver with Demented-Are-Go) released a 12” in 1989 featuring a song called ''Johnny Joined The Klan'.' It's a cover of ''Johnny B. Goode'' by Chuck Berry with slightly different lyrics!

Strange but weird...

martin

----
Rachel Verinder said:
Perhaps Clapton has the same romanticised colonial view of "the blues" as Powell did of India?

Probably...do you mean if they were dirt poor, never left the porch, sang and twang their woes away but always tipped their hat when whites passed by? And didn't go round smoking drugs and playing reggae records all night like those 70s British nig nogs?

I think there's an interview with Ian Stuart somewhere (possibly not online) where he said the blues / blacks connection was a Zionist myth and that whites really invented R&B. I don't think it convinced John Tyndall of the NF, who thinks anything short of Bach is "jungle music"

michael

Bring out the vacuum
Rachel Verinder said:
I did a little snoop around to see if I could find exactly what he said. I found something in The Times which makes it sound like Clapton's attempted to twist what Powell was about. Specifically tried to make it seem like it was all about compassion for immigrants rather than xenophobia...

More than 25 years later Clapton has no regrets. In an interview in the May edition of Uncut magazine, he said that he thought Powell “was making sense and we were doing something really corrupt in the way we were inviting people under false premises” and that Powell was “outrageously brave”.

He added: “My feeling about this has not changed really. We have always been up to some funny business in this country, inviting people in as cheap labour and then putting them in ghettos.”

Weirder and weirder. :confused:

qwerty south

no use for a witticism
Mark Radcliffe (of BBC Radio One's 'Mark and Lard' fame) stood in for Skrewdriver drummer John "Grinny" Grinton on a tour in 1979.

This was before they turned into a Nazi group...

Last edited:

labrat

hot on the heels of love
i know theres those on this board that HATE him but the best close reading of skrewdriver (and indeed the whole Oi! MOVEMENT IS Stuart Home's Cranked Up Really High...GREAT on ian stuart's homosexuality(of course I assumed this to be a typical Stuart Home wind-up but later research proved it.)

martin

----
labrat said:
i know theres those on this board that HATE him but the best close reading of skrewdriver (and indeed the whole Oi! MOVEMENT IS Stuart Home's Cranked Up Really High...GREAT on ian stuart's homosexuality(of course I assumed this to be a typical Stuart Home wind-up but later research proved it.)

Do you know for a fact he was gay?

labrat

hot on the heels of love
If having sex with men defines one as gay then yes!
I'll not be cryptic, a rather nihillistic freind of mine shagged him.

labrat

hot on the heels of love
my freind justified it by saying ''has anyone ever fantasised about being tied to a bed by a Liberal!''

Melchior

Taking History Too Far
Skrewdriver may be the most punk band ever, althought I have some doubts, but surely he best Oi! band ever are Hard Skin?

That's interesting about your friend, but I always heard Ian stuart is gay rumours. Didn't his ex-roommate come out and also claim Stuart was gay? I think I read somethign about it in Fighting Talk or Spotlight or something.

I may have to put on my Anti-Fascist Action hoodie today to make up for participating in this thread.