Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
My best (and only) cycling-sleb-spot so far is Peter Tatchell.

I'm rubbish at seeing worthwhile famous types. A mate of mine queued in a bank behind David fucking Attenborough. Not fair! :mad:

craner

Beast of Burden
I see famous people every other day. You get used to it. Though the King of Jordan did take my breath away.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
If I saw the King of Jordan, I think I'd probably be looking around for his missus. :D

Also, I have a lapel badge with a picture of the King of Jordan on it, fact fans.

polystyle

Near Miss ...

Thought you guys might get a kick out of that -the video clip shows the truck door swinging open.
Looks like the driver unhooks his door from the car and leaves the scene

crackerjack

Boris has just admitted in court to misusing expenses. What's this all about? Didn't even know there was a case forthcoming...

Bollocks: the BBC have just corrected it to his deputy

Last edited:

craner

Beast of Burden
I predict that this conf is going to be a disaster for the Conservatives and wipe out Dave Milliband's banana picture, because they're all going down, they may be a hung parliament, and DM is still better placed than his currently hot-tipped brother, 5 years into the future. I'm a slave to fortune!

craner

Beast of Burden
I mean, Mary Riddell in the Telegraph today spelled out exactly why the Tories are not fit to rule, and I agreed with her, plus rumours of Tory inside chat masochistically preparing for serious civil unrest because of the extent of their cuts, and real worries inside Cameron circles, and hope in Salmond circles, of the massive boost a Tory win could give Scottish independance. As has been said, Cameron could be the last UK PM, an idea he hates, but a win could produce. Serious, and strange, times!

craner

Beast of Burden
I think the whole thing about junking the HRA has come from neocon Gove and Old Tory Hague, and it seems to have been seriously misjudged from both angles: Cameron would be wise to backtrack on that, and there where is he? Looking very stupid on Europe and the HRA, just for a start. Tory confidence, in full flow last year, is very quickly falling apart. Suddenly we're looking back at the public sector. I think people are thinking, hang on a second...what about SureStart?

I don't know where it goes from here...but it's not so open, is it?

scottdisco

rip this joint please
i read once not so long ago from either Fox or Letwin saying Sure Start would be safe under a Tory govt but i'm very grateful to Ollie for mentioning it as even then i have my doubts about them (!), and certainly did up until reading that.

also do we really think a Tory govt would have even introduced it?

i'm sure many of us know real-life examples of some of the good it has done, i know my mum knows plenty of breadline single Mancunian mothers who are gratefully in its debt in a very real and important way.

Hague wants to get rid of the HRA?
i can understand a nasty piece of contemptible garbage like Gove wanting to junk it, but Fourteen Pints is a pretty decent guy. (i think.)

am i being pessimistic and insulting to most Brits if i say i think promising to junk the HRA would be electorally popular? i know a lot of people are rightly proud of it, but i fear it might be a minority thing. like, maybe 40 % of voters recognise its worth, half or more don't. (there again i sometimes read the Daily Express, which is both toxic, and louder than its meagre circulation suggests it should be, so i do get a very distorted view of the worst political impulses in British life.)

matt b

Indexing all opinion
am i being pessimistic and insulting to most Brits if i say i think promising to junk the HRA would be electorally popular? i know a lot of people are rightly proud of it, but i fear it might be a minority thing. like, maybe 40 % of voters recognise its worth, half or more don't.

unfortunately, the HRA gives rights to the WRONG PEOPLE

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-1092847/The-proper-response-Human-Rights-Act-rid-it.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/columnists/article-457512/This-human-rights-farce.html

Thus going against all notions of British fairplay