version

Sad to see the broadly reasonable ideas about the economy being rigged against the average person and elites serving their own class interests devolve into mental illness-tinged fixations on COVID and The Simpsons.

"And here I’ve been, like Lisa Simpson, desperately trying to get friends, family, and the public to believe the proof of a totalitarian con I’m trying to show them, and they’ve turned away with hostility, apathy, disbelief, and partisanship."

dilbert1

they seemed simultaneously focused in on reality and far divorced from it. […] they were focused on 'abolish the settler state'. it just seems so dumb to me as a strategy to bring it back to that point when the immediate situation is so severe, and when that particular demand is so controversial and dreamy

This is exactly the criticism the Platypus pedagogue at my reading group made yesterday, it came up because I think they interviewed one of the younger more articulate protesters for an upcoming article in the journal. The kid admitted that although he had zero doubt as to whether what he believed was right, he also had zero guesses as to how the students’ activity could in any way help achieve that goal, or how that goal would be achieved at all. For what it’s worth, the only Palestinian person I know called Aaron Bushnell a “ginger f*ggot” and, upon walking past the aforementioned posters of kidnapped Israelis, said “I hope they all die.” How’s that for standpoint epistemology?

shakahislop

nyc still has loads of jewish people. despite everything there's still synagogues and yeshivas all over the lower east side and the east village too. there's one in dimes square. and brooklyn of course still has a few big and sometimes quite intense jewish enclaves. you get a bit tricked with all the new york is dead new york is gentrified new york is not the same talk. those roots are still alive and well in the DNA

luka

[IMG alt="dilbert1"]https://www.dissensus.com/data/avatars/m/16/16080.jpg?1593973307[/IMG]

dilbert1

Well-known member​

No it will be @mixed_biscuits killing spree in the park

1713560917058.jpeg

shakahislop

i used to read a message board where a labour MP used to post talking about how he wanted to have a threesome with the sugababes or something and at some point a paper or someone dug up the old posts and used it to get him chucked out the party.
that message board really changed over time. something happened with writing on the internet at some point where without wanted to sound like i have liked and subscribed to andew tate jordan peterson and steve pinker you started to run the risk of getting into some massive pointless argument coz you used a piece of language or expressed an idea or smashed one of the eggshells that you were walking on. people wanting to be the cops, like a kind of game of finding the moral rules that were broken by someone writing. kind of turning it into a series of formal public statements with disclaimers and acknowledgements of your positionality. a totally annoying way to have to write. all of that is definitely a layer over so much stuff at the moment, that kind of caution

version

that message board really changed over time. something happened with writing on the internet at some point where without wanted to sound like i have liked and subscribed to andew tate jordan peterson and steve pinker you started to run the risk of getting into some massive pointless argument coz you used a piece of language or expressed an idea or smashed one of the eggshells that you were walking on. people wanting to be the cops, like a kind of game of finding the moral rules that were broken by someone writing. kind of turning it into a series of formal public statements with disclaimers and acknowledgements of your positionality. a totally annoying way to have to write. all of that is definitely a layer over so much stuff at the moment, that kind of caution

The proofreader mindset. It's the same with media. People whose only form of engagement is sniffing out "problematic" components.

other_life

bioconfused
people wanting to be the cops, like a kind of game of finding the moral rules that were broken by someone writing. kind of turning it into a series of formal public statements with disclaimers and acknowledgements of your positionality. a totally annoying way to have to write. all of that is definitely a layer over so much stuff at the moment, that kind of caution

ftr this is true about the internet writ large and the rational kernel of the 'anti idpol from the left' idea